Stardash - gameboy style action (from Meganoid developers)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by orangepascal, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

Stardash is coming to iOS (universal app) and Android in two weeks!

With gameboy style graphics, oldschool platform gameplay, and awesome retro chiptunes.

The release version will come with four worlds, 9 levels per world, and a 10th special unlockable temple-level in every world.

Support for Joypad and iCade controls

read more about the game here: http://www.orangepixel.net/stardash/

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
  3. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Oh wow, this looks great! In two weeks already! Thanks for making it universal.

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Pass... pass... pass... oh, thank the gods.

I watched the gameplay video, which for most of it gave the unfortunate impression that this would be another "can't go left" platformer a la 1-bit Ninja, which wasn't particularly gripping, largely because of its unnecessarily awkward control scheme and artificial difficulty. It wasn't until just after the three-minute mark that the main character actually ran left rather than skipping numerous, obviously easily-gained coins; this revelation allayed my fears. ^_^

5. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I didn't even watch the whole trailer, was so disappointed about the lack of a back button. Didn't want to bring it up, but now that I know it's in there, YAY!!! :)

6. orangepascal

There is left/right and jump controls, same quality controls as Meganoid.
    And anybody who ever played Super Mario Land on the gameboy should have an idea of the gameplay.

There should also be enough challenge: getting the "dash" star by completing a level within the time-limit should prove interesting enough, and finding the hidden-keys to unlock the bonus Temple levels will keep most gamers busy for a while

..at least until we release new levels in an update ;)

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Awwwwesome :D

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yes! This is what I've been waiting on so long since Soosiz. :D

- Pitch perfect non-floaty platforming full of intricate traps and clever challenges.
    - No weird ass obzocky controls like Chocorun, Chop Chop Caveman and Mos Speedrun.
    - no gimmicky articifial difficlty like 1-bit Ninja's direction restriction.

Just make sure the platforming mechanics are super smooth. I know this is Mario World type ultra quick platforming but how's the midair correction? Can you turn comfortably in midair? Cause sometimes when you're jumping in a tricky platformer and jumping onto a narrow platform or an enemy on a ledge you might have to correct yourself to be precise.

Congratulations, this looks like a hit!
    (Please consider making a Donkey Kong gameboy type game in the future!)

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thankyou thankyou thankyou ! This is the type of game i've been after ! Too many people worry about the graphics, colour etc. This is what you need, old skool graphics, top gameplay (from the looks of the video) and a LEFT button ! ;)

Seriously it looks great, plus touchscreen controls with no crazy control system dreamt up by the programmer. Looks great.

Instant buy for me, these two weeks cant go quick enough !

Thank you Orange Pixel ! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE do more old skool games like this in the future.

10. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Although I understand the retro Ganeboy style you were going for, a bit of color could really brighten up the game. Besides that, it looks absolutely fantastic. Fast-paced and great difficulty, reminds me of Pizza Boy but more hardcore :p

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Noooooooooo please keep the Gameboy style and not have any colour, it looks amazing and seems to play so well. Cant wait for this one

12. orangepascal

don't worry , no color is being added ;) we actually had a color version of the game, but it didn't feel right so we are sticking with this look, the game is designed around it

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Instant buy from me, thanks

14. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Nooooooo! It completly defeats the purpose of having a gameboy retro look.

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh! This looks sweet love the gamebiy style. Instabuy from me.

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    What kind of controls does it have? Can't notice from video, but thank god you can go left :p

17. orangepascal

same controls we added to Meganoid (99% of players loved those), so left/right buttons on the left of the screen, and a jump button on the right.

see the screenshots at: http://www.orangepixel.net/stardash/

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

The artstyle and animation is pitch perfect.

And thanks for answering my question about your other games possibly coming to iOS.

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010