iPad Bloo Kid - Retro Platformer ($0.99) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nikhsterboi, Aug 3, 2011.

1. The Android version is free and has an average of 4/5 stars. Also on Android many low reviews are based on the game not running on their particular device, one thing that is hard to get right on that platform since there are so many different devices. If you take out these reviews the game was rated very well.

I would also love to see this in a full length scrolling platformer, however if I were him I wouldn't have done that with this release as "fixing" this would basically be rewriting the entire game. Probably something that would make a great sequel.

2. Eiswuxe

Eiswuxe Member

May 6, 2011
    Hi guys,

sorry for the late response, I was on holiday for two weeks and had no idea that this thread existed!

I am the developer of BlooKid, I also created all the graphics and sounds/musics.

First of all, thanks a lot for posting this game and thanks a lot for trying the lite version and telling me your opinion on the game. Also thanks to some of you for buying the full version :)

I agree with most of your critics and I understand that one might find the game boring. I also made the mistake to take the least-interesting world and put it in the LITE version. Later worlds are more varied with more different enemies etc.

It is true what some of you said that this game was done by a "one-man-army", but I also agree that this should not alter your opinion on the game in any way.

Since Bloo Kid is my first mobile game I made some gamedesign decisions in order to keep the scope of the game small enough for me to create the game in 2 months. One of them was that "one screen per level". I did not want to spend too many time on my first game. I wanted to see if the retro-look has enough appeal. Now I know that it definitely HAS thanks to your opinions! And I also know now that this one-screen "platformer" idea might have been a bad one, or at least my implementation of that "genre" is not the best.

The next game will have a bigger scope and might very well be a "real" platformer. But first of all I will deliver some more content for Bloo Kid. It is indeed true that it makes no sense to "try and make Bloo Kid a scrolling platformer". It would mean a total rewrite of the game. I could very well think of Bloo Kid 2 as some sort of mario-like game.

The game is not really an android "port". It is rather a multiplatform title that was aimed for android and iPhone release from the very beginning on. That is also the reason why I did not alter the iPhone version compared to the android version. I would do changes to both versions only, since it makes no sense to have one and the same game behave different on different platforms.

I just want to state out one more thing. The low android ratings are indeed mostly from the people with tablet devices that can't run the game (for a reason I hopefully fixed this morning). All other people that were indeed able to play it gave it a rating of 3-5 stars.

OK, thanks again for your input!

If someone wants to give the game a second try, here are some promocodes for the full version :)

PTAHLMLWMWFM
    MEYMJF3KFWK9
    AELMNEFAJKAM
    NK4TARPTK6YR
    JKYKY4WPLEKN
    KWPLKHEE746Y
    6AKH3YLX7LY3
    MLJEATTTJ69F

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    NK4TARPTK6YR taken...

thanks a lot!

4. hasio_john

hasio_john Well-Known Member

6AKH3YLX7LY3
    Thanks!

5. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Yay, I got JKYKY4WPLEKN, thanks! Played a few levels and this game is quite fun. It does not deserve to be bashed this harshly, in my opinion.
    The graphics and controls are great indeed, so I am definitely interested in a future side scrolling platformer from you. Those are HUGE things to get right for platformers.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep would love to see a side scrolling platformer.

I do like Bloo Kid a lot, like i say i just thought initially from the screenshots it was a side scroller but my fault for not reading the description enough.

I love single screen affairs like Bubble Bobble and many others so i have really enjoyed this, well worth the money. The retro style of graphics is superb.

Would really like to see more platform games from yourself in the future

7. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Code taken - AELMNEFAJKAM. Thank you.

8. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Just redeemed KWPLKHEE746Y now. Thanks for sharing - looking forward to checking this out! :)

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Welcome to the forums, Eisewuxe. We always (well, almost always) appreciate it when developers participate in game discussions and provide some context for their game design decisions. Personally, I very much understand the decision to limit the scope of a project in order to keep it manageable for a small team with limited time and resources. It would be great to see a side scrolling platformer from you guy, since you got so many of the basics (jumping, controls, graphics, music) right with this one. But I should make it clear that my pretty harsh criticism was not about the single screen design -- as has been pointed out before, there are many great single-screen platformers. The problem with Bloo Kid is that the levels feel like truncated side scrolling screens instead of individual, self-contained levels. Part of the problem is that they're too small and too simple, but they also seem arbitrarily designed, and basically just a series of obstacles instead of an interactive environment. Finally, the action has been stripped down too much: in the description you mentioned getting "through" 60 levels, but all you really do is go through waves of enemies, which is more like a dual-stick shooter or a castle-defense game than a true platformer. In a way it's like a vertical version of PacMan, except that game (made a time when computer memory was measured in kilobytes) had 3 or 4 times as many gameplay elements as Bloo Kid -- not to mention monsters that didn't spawn right on top of you. All in all, the just a serious lack of ambition on this play, especially when compared to brilliant single-developer retro games like Forget Me Not.

Again, I see great potential here, and I look forward to your next release.

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    All the same, I'm quite enjoying this, and the pixel graphics are wonderful. This is quite good indeed for a first effort. :)

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn... All codes gone... At least there was some feedback... Might end up getting this =o/

12. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    I am trying the game on my ipad, and it seems fun though a bit tough at spots (too many narrow corridors to slowly go down while the monsters are shooting you or coming at you). I like trying to get the stars for getting through the level uninjured and the star that shows up at the end.

Wanted to try it on my ipod touch as it seems geared more towards that - but the name just loads up and the game/screen goes black. I have a second generation ipod touch with the latest software update, but it is not working on it even after restarting my device. Is the game incompatible with my device or is it perhaps a bug?

13. Eiswuxe

Eiswuxe Member

May 6, 2011
    Unfortunately, the game has problems running on 2nd gen iPod Touches, I already heared about that yesterday. I am currently trying to fix that problem and will tell you when it's done.
    Great that you like the game btw :)

14. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    Well, that's okay. I will keep playing it on my ipad.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ended up playing and reviewing this one... and I'm really blown away. The lite version really doesn't show you what the full game is like... there's a load of different enemies, and great level design... I'm really really enjoying this one! Especially after getting through the first world! =oD

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Whoa really? I need to check this one out... Is it sort of like Miss Claire Garden, as far as level design?

EDIT: Just saw that it might not run on 2nd gens... any 2nd gen-ers running it?

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'd have to say no not that good... but it really is quite decent. Up there... I think more thought may have gone into level design for this one than into LoE...

18. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Whoa! I really need to try this then... the only thing holding me back is the fact that it might not run on my 2nd gen... downloading the lite now...

How are the controls?

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    controls are nice and tight... and the jump responds to how long you hold down the jump button, and the physics are great, not floaty at all, and doesn't feel like there's extra gravity pulling you down either...

20. Eiswuxe

Eiswuxe Member

May 6, 2011
    Hey guys!

Thanks for giving my game a second chance. Glad you like it now.

@ninjackid
    I'm afraid that the game does not run at all on any 2nd gen iPods, as well as some old 3Gs. I am currently tryin to resolve this issue and will tell you as soon as the problem is solved :)