Regarding Piracy

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by iReview, Jul 8, 2009.

1. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    #1 iReview, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    *Article Removed :), Use For Other Purposes?*

How is piracy affecting you?
    Any ideas of stopping it from effecting you to harshly?

2. carlo

carlo Well-Known Member

#2 carlo, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    For the Movie, i am not seeing anything that could prevent people downloading from the internet, however, for the iphone (which is a phone), it will be as simple as :

1) Put an Hardware security chip that unscramble bit memory in realtime (and in Hawardware only) according to the UUID of each customer, that means, my code, once scrambled for my UUID by the appstore server, will never run in another iphone than mine because the code is always scrambled and just unscrambled while executing by the CPU.

2) Cancel the carrier service and the OS upgrade if the security chip is disabled (and make it clear to every customers).

3) wait a minute, we do not need (2) , if the chip is disabled, then code cannot run properly because it cannot be unscrambled....

3. ddn

ddn Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Programmer by day but at night also programmer.
    Look behind u!
    That's pretty much where its heading, strong hardware encryption, user signed binaries and data (this prevents alot of things, like hacks due to code injection methods etc..). Not just for moibles devices but all computing devices. Bussines will demand it, to protect their intellectual properties, goverments will demand it to protect and control their intrests and users will demand it to protect their privacy and security.

-ddn

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Another issue is server costs, if your game has any kind of online high scores, multiplayer, chat/community, non-Apple downloadable content, etc.

Pirates are using those services and increasing your monthly server bills. And paying nothing back. That's why I'm limiting any kind of online component to my first game(s), which is unfortunate.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Well, that depends...adding online high scores increased my server costs by $0.00. I'm paying the monthly hosting fee anyway, might as well use what I'm paying for.

--Eric

6. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    It's actually really easy to tell if someone is playing a pirated copy. You just need to check if Info.plist has been tampered with.

You can use that to filter pirates out of your online high scores, if you're concerned with server costs.

We're tracking this for Harbor Master, and we know all the people who have pirated copies. It's about 25% of registered users right now. We're not doing anything about it yet because our servers are handling it fine, but if we start getting overloaded, we can block their submission server-side right away.

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Good technique to know! Thanks.