How much money would you pay for a mobile console game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPodTouchMan15, Feb 2, 2011.

?

How much would you pay for a GOOD console port on your Apple device?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2012.
  1. $1-$10

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. $20

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. $30

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. $40

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. $50

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. $60+

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I am curious to see what people would pay for a console title on the iPhone. I hope that devs look at this poll (if the results are on the high end) and decide that the market should be raised in price. I'm dying to see games like Gears of War, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous, etc. on the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. Maybe if a lot of people are willing to pay more and developers know it, we won't have to buy the NGP by Playstation, because we will be able to play the same games and more (ahem, Xbox 360) on our Apple devices. Please vote on this poll and you may make a change in mobile gaming!

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    nothing higher than 20

3. This, but I may be willing to pay higher for a completely original console-quality game (not clones, but original titles in a console franchise).

4. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Agreed but only because the hardware aint good enough at the minute to actually give us a console quality game but when it does i would pay more

5. iPodTouchMan15

Jan 31, 2010
    #5 iPodTouchMan15, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Actually I think it is good enough, as games like Dead Space and Infinity Blade have proved. The only problem is open-world games might not work yet, as proved by Aralon (way too buggy IMO).

And BTW for anyone who's wondering, they don't just have to be ports from consoles, they can be original too.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    $30-$40 would probably be the most I'd pay. It's funny how I've bought $1 iPhone games which have been better than some PSP games I've bought for £39.99 ($65).

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Would you pay more than 20 for a DS or PSP game? Neither device has hardware good enough "to actually give us a console quality game," either.

8. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    I have never paid more than twenty dollars for a portable game console game, and I don't plan to. As for the poll, I won't go over 10 bucks for a game I don't have a hard copy of.

9. iPodTouchMan15

Jan 31, 2010
    LOL the devs got rid of the 'Important Poll' from the title. I guess they just want to have half ass games forever.

10. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    If it is worth it...$30.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    $20 would probably be the cap for me as well.

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    TouchArcade is no way an indication of your average iDevice owner. Appstore reviews are an indication of your average iDevice owner. The results are already in, with or without this poll, and the results are not good. There is no such thing as a mobile console game, if by using the word "mobile" you are indicating a cell phone/smartphone, and by using the word "console game" you are referring to the notion of a true console-quality experience. Smartphones are still phones and owners of smartphones are more interested in their phone then in the quality of gaming provided by their phone.

I would pay $40 for iOS Gears of War or iOS Call of Duty (fully featured), but I ain't exactly holding my breath for that to happen.

The market sets itself and is exactly where it needs to be. $4.99-$9.99 for premium titles. 0.99c-2.99 for everything else.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yes, it's true that most games that make it to the top are at the lowest price. However, some games have shown us otherwise. As long as it's a well known corporation, the game will have potential to make it to the top. The most expensive game I've bought to date is Chaos Rings (12.99). If I'm not mistaken, it was at the number 1 spot for a while. 12.99..It's just pure speculation, but if GoW was indeed ported over for $40, I'd put my bets on it making it to the top 10 with no problem.

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #14 dumaz1000, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    Not happening, ever, unfortunately. The NPG exists, or will exist, solely because of this reason. To provide a service that Apple either cannot or will not provide.

I voted for $40. Only 3 people voted above $20 when I had voted. That's about right. If the game were a massive, MASSIVE exception to standard iOS fare, I think a decent amount of people would go as high as $20 and no higher. Gears of War for the iOS could sell for $20. Too bad the game would have to sell for twice that price in order for it to stand any legitimate chance of turning a profit. On NPG, they would be able to sell it for $50.

People bring up Chaos Rings a lot. Chaos Rings is the only game that has ever successful sold for more than 9.99. Out of hundreds of thousands of apps, only one successful example exists. They did try to sell that one Flight Simulator game for 19.99, the iPhone 4 edition. Can't say how well that worked out, but obviously the game never charted in the top 50.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The thing is developers generally have not tried incredibly high prices. Gameloft and EA sell their games for a max of 6.99 these days, and I guess that's people have come to know as an 'expensive' game on the iOS.

Chaos Rings might fit that description, but it's honestly the only decently known game that has dared to go beyond the 9.99 price point.

16. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I brought deadspace and it was console quality. The only thing it lacked was 10 hours of gameplay and it needed 3-4 more selectable guns. Other than that it was a perfect $15 dollar game that was sold at half price. If Dead space does its number then maybe bigger companies will invest. I love ipod touch but honestly most games are not as fun as DS games or PSP on high levels. Not because the games are bad , but because people dont want to spend money. Dead space was great example of ipod touch power and what developers can do. I think we all very lucky to get games for so cheap.

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    For a normal console port, I'd probably be willing to pay around $20 for it. If its a game that I know and love, I'll probably go up to $40. So anywhere from $20-$40.

18. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    I can't see why anyone wouldn't pay 60 dollars for a console ($60) quality game.

19. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    because i could pay the same price for a much better 360 game. one of the advantages of the iOS is its cheapness.

20. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    Would pay 19.99 at MAX. However, 9.99 and 14.99 is not that bad for a console game for the itouch.