Rumour: Apple is working on a physical controller for IOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by killercow, Apr 2, 2012.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

In his review of Apple's new iPad and its gaming graphics prowess, AnandTech's Anand Lal Shimpi reports that he has been made aware of "an internal Apple project to bring a physical controller to market," but said his sources were unable to determine whether the company has made a definitive decision to follow through on its efforts.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/02/apple_working_on_physical_game_controller_for_ipads_and_other_ios_devices_.html

Would you support such a move by Apple ? Or would you think that this would kill the uniqueness of the appstore?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Microsoft already has a few apps on iOS, I wish they'd just support XBOX 360 controllers either via the camera kit, or have them make a version of the controller with a dock port or their wireless controller adapter with an apple dock, or just a bluetooth version of the wireless controller...

3. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Onlive on android now supports the Playstation 3 Controller via bluetooth, i wish apple would let them on the appstore...

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I think Apple are a bit late developing a controller (if they are). There are numerous controllers already out (Icade, ICP, Gametel and 60 Beat). I think Apple would be better off throwing their weight behind one of the established controllers and help refine the design.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    If Apple makes a pad, it will trow away all this years of constantly trying to defend its touch controls and that you can enjoy iOS without any accessory so I think this is just a rumor

6. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    It's fun to imagine Apple working on an official controller, but I just don't see it happening. They are so focused on "touch" aspect of devices that seeing Apple develop something tactile like a controller feels out of place in their lineup. They pride themselves on elegant design but I would imagine they'd need to create a controller not unlike the PlayStation Vita control layout to cover most existing games on iOS, which looks nice but has a lot of buttons and twin analog sticks.

All that said, I would love to see it happen! Platformers have always felt "off" to me since I can't feel exactly where the jump button is.