Umbrella Jump (by Introvert Studios) Would you like to test it?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Introvert Studios, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    #1 Introvert Studios, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Hello everyone! We will be releasing Umbrella Jump very soon, but first we would love to get some more feedback!

[​IMG]

Umbrella Jump is a fast-paced sidescroller platformer, in which you simply tap to jump & pop your umbrella out to glide through the air.

The objective is simple - reach the flag!..

...but that's easier said than done :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are 10 levels to beat, which doesn't seem like much but we wanted to focus on the quality of each level for smooth, fun gameplay. It's surprising how long some levels take to beat!

Each level has 4 stars that you must collect if you want to get the high score and unlock new characters.

Umbrella jump will be a free game with sparse pop-up ads and the opportunity to view opt-in ads to aid unlocking levels (But you still might want to legitimately beat them so you can brag about it on twitter!!!).

If you would like to beta test Umbrella Jump before release, please let us know via comments or PM!

If you don’t want to beta test that's cool too, we’d love to hear what you think anyway.

Good luck, your gonna need it! ;)

2. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    #2 Introvert Studios, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  3. luypas

luypas Member

May 14, 2015
    Lock great :)

4. samur

samur Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Game Designer / Owner @ JamCastle
    Warsaw
    I was having fun with similar prototype, but in the end I left it over. I wonder how it plays :) I will gladly beta test the game :)

5. 1Button

1Button Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #5 1Button, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. angelof73

angelof73 New Member

May 4, 2011
    #6 angelof73, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    #7 Introvert Studios, Aug 14, 2015
    Hello 1Button!

Thank you for checking it out, we are really pleased you want to try it, if you PM us your email for test flight we will link you up.

We were influenced by a lot of games when making Umbrella Jump, Mr Jump being the primary inspiration and we're not ashamed that it shows! We have wanted to make a jumping platformer game with a spin on it - aka the umbrella popping mechanic - for a while.

The way it plays is very different to Mr Jump - it's not as deathly hard, more casual but still challenging to get the timing right. The umbrella mechanic gives a greater freedom of movement, making the gameplay more fluid than in Mr Jump, so over all it has quite a different, more casual feel.

8. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    #8 Introvert Studios, Aug 14, 2015
    We had fun making it too and would love for you to play it. PM us with your email and we can hook you up on test flight - thanks for checking it out!

9. 1Button

1Button Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #9 1Button, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Thanks for the Test Flight!

I played Umbrella Jump and I must say that it confirms what I thought. Of course I am not talking about the game concept, it's not because we made Mr Jump that we own the platformer genre :) I am talking about the graphic style. You say that Mr Jump was your primary inspiration and it's great. But instead of finding your own style you just took things from Mr Jump (the platforms, the character, the traps, the menus) and you changed a few things in an attempt to make it your own. And let me tell you that it is not how it works. What makes an app, a game, perfect is when all the pieces fit. So if you take something from someone else and change things, it no longer works.

So you should be ashamed yes.

I went to your website and found this: http://introvertstudios.com/mobile-games-our-approach/

The second paragraph is the way to go, you're right, but for now I only see the first.

Good luck!

10. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    Thank you for taking the time to play it and give us your thoughts.

We are sorry that you feel that way about the game graphics.

A lot of the design is based on the IOS guidelines, such as transparent menu screens with clean, white contrasted buttons and using an IOS colour pallette as a base. Many games and apps use this, as it is a look that has been proven to have great usability and aesthetics, and we want to provide a familiar and smooth user experience. However your concerns about certain assets are valid and we will take some time to iterate on these, with the intention of rectifying the issues.

After doing so, we would be grateful if you would take another look and let us know what you think of the changes.

11. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    Updates

Since receiving useful feedback from testers, a lot of changes have been made in Umbrella Jump including:

-Stars & characters: A star system has been introduced, with 4 stars to collect per level, which will give the player a high score and also unlock new characters.

-Improved graphics: The artwork has been polished and levels are even more vibrant & atmospheric, with a new player design and improvements made to platforms and obstacles.

-A new soundtrack: a wider variety of tracks that play on random, created by Mark Sparling.

We will be pushing a test flight update soon, please let us know if you'd like to give it a go!

12. number111

number111 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Sorry not very original in my opinion

13. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    Thanks for checking it out anyway.

We do believe that the umbrella mechanic makes the feel of it very different from other games within the same genre.

14. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
  15. Introvert Studios

Apr 20, 2015
    Game Development
    Somerset, UK
    Thank you! PM us if you'd like to play before release :)