Who decides "What's Hot" ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Manojalpa, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Manojalpa

Manojalpa Active Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Game Producer
    Ithaca, NY
    Hey all - I'm just wondering if we have any insight into how "What's Hot" is calculated. Tipoli was featured last week and I assumed when it dropped out of featured that was it, but now it and a bunch of other games that were featured have basically just been transplanted into the "What's Hot" category. Is this just an extension of the "Featured" category? Is it based on the sales bump that most featured games inevitably make? How long does it last?

Any help's appreciated! :D

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

What's Hot is not calculated. It is merely Apple's whim, like all other feature categories. There is no magic formula for any feature spot in iTunes except make something the best you possibly can and hope they take notice :D

3. There exists a room in the vast complex at 1 Infinite Loop where a group of twelve men and women are sequestered for 12 hours a day to do nothing but play iPhone games. Slumped defeatedly in overstuffed pleather chairs, their fingers stained a sickly yellow-orange from a combination of cigarettes and Cheetos dust, and their minds a haze of a thousand games all running together in a numbing, digital miasma, they wait patiently, yet with a quiet desperation for that one game, that solitary gem that breaks through the fog and shines, beacon-like, making them bolt upright and shout triumphantly, "Hey, guys, check this one out!" And then they all rush to download this bastion of anti-mediocrity and play it until their fingers numb, and if at the end they declare in one voice, "that's hot!" they push a button and it becomes featured.

Thus, the excitement over, they return once again to the banality of the average to begin the search once more.

4. DaveLev

DaveLev Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Indie Games Developer for iPhone
    Derby, UK.
    Wow, you actually made that sound interesting ...

5. Manojalpa

Manojalpa Active Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Game Producer
    Ithaca, NY
    Mindfield, I have never had a more utterly elucidating comment. I bow before your wisdom and insight, and contemplate starting a changemakers account to rack in funds for said unfortunate dozen of individuals, their plight so vividly described I am moved to the deepest trenches of my human heart.

6. Weep not for them, for they believe in what they do, and they suffer for their beliefs a sweet agony that rewards them with the knowledge that they have bestowed upon a deserving developer gossamer wings that they may fly up the sales charts. Also, they get free beer.

7. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Hahaha I agree, that was poetic. You have a great writing style.

8. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    Awesome.

9. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    how it really works

For the truth:

Apple always features new stuff on Tuesdays at midnight, and it lasts for one week.

They have one "developer relations" employee per category(ie. sports, productivity, travel), who suggests certain apps to their promotions/marketing team to be featured. There are probably a few employees for the games category.

"What's Hot" is just another way of being featured.

10. "The Creeps!" was in the games section "What's Hot" three weeks ago. Before that, it had basically fallen off the map. It was barely poking into the top 100 Strategy games. I released an update that included DLC level packs (which have been very successful). The "What's hot" feature showed up immediately after the sudden sales spike caused by the DLC update. I suppose it COULD be coincidence, but I think it's likely that it has something to do with large spikes in popularity. The "What we're playing" section is obviously an employee pick kind of section (which amazingly after two week in "what's hot", The Creeps! immediately moved to "What we're playing" and is starting it's second week there right now!).

Unless someone who works at Apple would like to comment here and confirm one way or another, I'm going to stick with my hypothesis :)

11. Not quite true. In my experience you get a week on the first page, then the next week you are moved to the second page (in the new iTunes you might have to scroll to the right a little, it isn't really "pages" anymore).

12. MotivCode

MotivCode New Member

I can add to that theory.

Our game, Number Munchers, was both a "New and Noteworthy" and "Hot New Game" pick back in December after a spike in sales (going from an initial ~10-20 to over 200).

13. Manojalpa

Manojalpa Active Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Game Producer
    Ithaca, NY
    Yeah, Tipoli was just in "New & Noteworthy" for a week - should have specified. Now we're in "What's Hot". Certainly won't complain if we get more time there....

14. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    If you ask me the "whats hot?" section is just a continuation of "new and noteworthy" Maybe they didnt wanna list 40+ games all in 1 section.

15. #15 xenoclone, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    My game Zombie Karts was in Hot New Games for a week and New and Noteworthy for 3 more. My latest game, Cascadia Kart, got into HNG for a week as well but no N&N. I feel pretty lucky to have two in a row. I guess Apple likes retro racing games. :)