iPhone The Room by Fireproof Games, TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It would be good for short bursts of gameplay. Everything you do is saved automatically, so the game is right where you left off next time you play.

2. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Ok, thanks.

BTW I just noticed this is the number 2 top grossing app in the App Store right now. XD

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #43 Pitta, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    Sorry just checked, yes they are iPhone only (probably due to the original assets resolution).
    I played both on iPhone back in the day.

Myst has a free version too.

4. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks. I will give it a go then.

5. suikoden352

suikoden352 New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Can someone on here help me out? I'm stuck at the part with the 4 orbs and all I have in my inventory is the blue key. I'm starting to feel like an incredible idiot and I don't want to just give up on the game, but It's just really frustrating me. Any help at all would be appreciated. It's a great game, and the hints are good, but I'm just lost :(

6. Ericesq

Ericesq New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Stuck at the orbs, too!

Someone help, please!

7. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Tilt :)

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just completed the game, took about 4 hours or so...was an AWESOME experience, really.
    They nailed everything down. EVERYTHING.
    I really hope they already submitted The Room 2 tough.
    I LOVED the 4 chapter..

Highly recommended.

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #49 ColeDaddy, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    I just used the screwdriver to obtain the key
    1. What combo works?
    2. Is the key used to open up the wooden panel right above where I found the key?

If someone is game enough to post a solution (which would greatly appreciated) perhaps their explanation could be prefaced with a Spoiler Alert heading ;)

Edit: it's cool...I figured it out! Completed the game!

Personally, given the level of effort and quality of this game, I wouldn't mind paying for IAP for future episodes ala The Walking Dead. If it helps to keep the dev's lights on and they can focus their creative energies on future development, I'm all in for the long haul.

10. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #50 y2kmp3, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    I, too, took the dive and bought the game after seeing the press and forum reactions.

There are my impressions:

I concur with most gamers' sentiment how the high quality of the game, at least visually. Very polished. Gorgeous graphics (including texture), high res, smooth animation, great ambient soundtrack.

To this end, it is important to accept the common premise that underlie this type of puzzle games in order to avoid any unreasonable expectation. In many way, this game is a digital analog of the classic mechanical physical box puzzles. Like those puzzle boxes, the puzzles and their solutions are entirely arbitrary and bear little relationship to each other. The solutions are found by trial and error (tapping randomly on screen to try to find a pattern to the game's response). Even in hindsight, the solutions do not tie well together. Further, the interconnect between puzzles are entirely arbitrary. It is just as easy to see that one puzzle will open up another puzzle rather than the one chosen by the game's designer (with few exceptions).

I finished the game in about 2 hours. Sadly, I spent more than 1 hour stuck on a puzzle because I did not realize the game uses the iPad's gyroscope. I did not appreciate the lack of warning by the developer about this. I only accidentally discovered the use because I knocked my iPad off the floor by accident and saw the puzzle moved. This is a very short game. Given that this is a premiumly priced title, I still think it is a worthwhile purchase IF the developer will include new puzzles WITHOUT IAP in future updates.

Gamers who want and expect to find deeper connections between puzzles need to temper their expectations. This is not necessary the game's fault. It is simply a common premise under which this type of puzzle games operate. I see some posts comparing this game to Myst. IMHO, I don't think this is a just and fair comparison for the reasons I just explained.

11. abbrewer88

abbrewer88 New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Help-Stuck!

I love this game so much, but I'm stuck in chapter 2 at the star puzzle with the timer. I've done everything I know to do. Driving me crazy for hours! Any tips?? Thanks!

12. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Tip (SPOILER):

Zoom out and look around. You have to be quick!

13. Thumpermat

Thumpermat Active Member

May 4, 2009
    As an older gamer here, who played with the original Myst and Riven on a PC, I agree with the previous comments about the puzzle logic and their connections.

On the other hand, for the graphics quality as well as the production value, this game is a must-have for iPad2 and new iPad owners. The graphics on the last chapter could be used to show your iPad to your friends.

14. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Thanks! Just started Chapter 2 and I'm loving it so far. Felt like an adventure game with the mysterious storyline and hint system, only this time it involves only one object. Is it the Lemarchand's Box from the Hellraiser series? :eek:

15. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    These are some of the most thoughtful impressions I've seen in quite some time. Thanks!

16. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I am so lost in this game ...

I am at the part where I need to open a lock (i think) with 4 symbols.
    I found only 1 symbol (left top) at the top of the tower.
    Where are the other 3 located ??

17. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    SPOILERS

(these are intended as hints)

One is at the top, the one you found.
    One is near the lock.
    One can only be be seen using the eyeglass.
    There is no fourth.

18. ibmurai

ibmurai Well-Known Member

Oh hi wondroushippo. Ju ar soo bjutifuld. Aj louv ju soo mutsj.

19. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Thanks. I did figured it out shortly after I posted this :)
    Now I am trying to figure out, what to do with the Rubber band lol.

20. Doughntpanic

Doughntpanic New Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Also stuck on timer

My understanding is that you must turn on all the lights in the 16 box panel before the timer runs out. At first I thought it required a certain sequence but from all of my experimentation, you can only tap up to 5 boxes & then on the 6th they all go out. If you are just required to tap all 16 before the timer is up, we'll I have done that many times.
    I did "zoom out & look around" in case I was completely off track. Didn't find anything new.