Favourite Roguelikes?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Avatre, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, never could get into legends of yore for some reason.

I think there just wasn't enough going on and it didn't really hook me in.

Undeadcow, what is it that you like about it so much? Perhaps I just haven't spent enough time with it.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Your right. Kind of. It plays very much like a Roguelike and has options for permadeath.
    It might be a stretch to call it a Roguelike. Maybe more of a RogueRPG. Either way, it's a pretty good game with some rogue qualities.

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I do like LoY.

I think the developer branded it a casual roguelike or something, but to me, the scope of the game's objectives are too big for most people to approach the game like a true roguelike. Even getting enough levels to multi-class alone is quite an endeavor.

4. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Is there a lot of loot? It seemed like I was just going from one square room to another killing the same mob types. I'd find apples and potions but nothing else. Didn't seem like any class related skills or level up decisions or anything like that.

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    There's enough loot to justify the feature that auto-trashes stuff you pick up that isn't deemed useful. It doesn't have randomized equipment stats though, as I recall, so most characters of a given class and level would likely have the same equipment as someone else's character. Sounds like maybe you expected more content up front, which, again, is why I don't think of it as a roguelike. If you aren't a spell-user, there aren't that many skills. At certain levels trainers can teach you things, but this isn't something frequent. One thing that I found nice was in the advanced classes how, for example, a warrior that subs mage is a different class than a mage that subs warrior.