Help required re:- offline games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi,

My mum is buying an iPad mini for herself (she currently has my old DS) she mainly wants it for puzzle games, match 3 games and stuff like sukodo or however you spell it.

Problem is, with her having no PC, she doesn't have an internet connection at home and doesn't want to get one, so I've offered to fill up her ipad with games she can play at home.

My question:-

Do you guys and gals know many games or puzzle games that work 100% with no network access?

I've tried downloading a couple of free puzzle games and turning airplane mode on but after a few levels they wanted an internet connection.

I'm not really up on puzzle games, I'm an rpg fan and really only play them.

Please throw some suggestions at me, thank you all.

2. Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl Well-Known Member

#2 Zerodactyl, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Some good puzzle games that I recommend are 2048, Threes and Scurvy Scallywags. Hope this helps!

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Threes gets a big thumbs up from me too. If money is an issue then 2048 is a good one.

Are you wanting free puzzles or paid? Also is there way she can get updates, there's a load of good puzzlers but they get new levels with updates.

I've a load of puzzles in my purchase history. I'll look through them once I know if you want paid or free.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Mainly paid as the free games are usually crap.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Pixel Defenders Puzzle
    Wooords
    Letter Quest
    Pwn: Combat Hacking
    Swoc: Of Sword and Block

Fortunately I thnk online requirements are still the exception not the rule; I game offline more often than on and usually have no problem.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Bicolor. (Anything by one button really)
    Strata.
    Blek
    Twined
    Threes.
    Numerity.
    Elevate.
    Lyne
    Harmony 2
    Kami
    Hundreds
    Perfects Paths.

All great paid puzzles that I currently have on my device.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #7 pluto6, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    As an older gamer, although male, I love a lot of puzzler games. My wife also games, although to a much lesser extent - there are some of our favorites -

Pretty much anything by Kris Pixton - PathPix (the original is probably the best to start with, and if she enjoys it, there are quite a few of them out there). There is also a new one - SpellPix which mixes the mechanics of the path pix type, using words.

Match 3 games - Bejeweled is pretty obvious. Montezuma 1 and 2 are good - 3 requires much faster reflexes. Zookeeper, Chop Sushi

Pixelogic type games are a lot of fun there are number of good ones - a few I enjoy are Pixelogic HD - lots of puzzles in many sizes, but daily puzzles that you download the last few years worth..., Color Cross - a color version - sort of expensive, but she could try the free version and you can purchase if she likes it, NoNoCube, Hungry Cat

There are tons of Sudoku games out there and you might want to check the forums here for people's favorites because there are so many - my long time favorite is Big Bad Sudoku Book - it has endless puzzles that can be generated and seems to have pretty good algorithms.

Some miscellaneous puzzlers, word games,etc. in no particular order -

Angry Birds or one of the many variations
    Threes is really good if she likes these type of puzzlers, math type games
    Denki Blocks - fun if you don't worry about the timer, can be very challenging
    Fractal: Make Blooms Not War by Cipher Prime - hard to describe but a great one
    PopStar!
    Quell, or one of the other - Quell Reflect, Quell Memento
    Flight Control - one of the first line drawing games, and still a great game although not mentioned much any more
    Orbital - a "shooter", but has to be experienced - lost many, many hours to this game
    Flip Words - a classic word game
    Mondrian - another great puzzler
    Textropolis by Nimblebit
    Joining Hands by 10 Tons
    Jumbline 2 by Branium Studios - this is like text twist, but they do a better job with the touch interface IMHO
    If she likes word search games, the best one out there is Word Quest Plus by IslandJohn.com - it is pretty much indistinguishable from book quality, and has a number of customizations and modes that are all really good
    Toki Tori is a classic adventure type puzzler
    For the Tangram type puzzles - Garbarchuk makes a number of different types out there, but they may need internet - they are trying to develop some social aspects, but I believe they will work just fine without internet. However, my favorite is still TanZen by Little White Bear Studios. They have several puzzle type games that are quite elegant.
    Zen Bound 2 Universal is still a phenomenal experience - includes Zen Bound 1
    Lets Create! Pottery by Infinite Dreams is another great sensory experience - basically you create pottery on the device using your finger as a sculpting device.
    Some Solitaire type games -
    Solitaire City is my personal favorite for Solitaire type games - has many games with variations, but the best thing is it has tutorials that actually demonstrate how the game is played rather than trying to figure out what goes where by instructions.
    I have Aces Cribbage HD by Concrete Software that is pretty good although I have not done much research on the best ones.
    Ancient Frog HD - a nice zen puzzler trying to move a frog to eat the fly in the least number of moves.
    Lots of Mahjong type games as well - My favorites are Mahjong Towers (big Fish games), Aki Mahjong, Mahjong Elements
    Last, but certainly not least - Trainyard by Matt Rix - excellent puzzle game

So, hopefully this will help - many of these are older games and not on many people's radar anymore.

Oh - a couple other , The Room and The Room 2 are both very good interactive puzzle type, and many people loved Little Inferno - basically you burn lots of things...