Hex Mechs is out - would like a review.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TokyoDan, Jan 7, 2016.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
  2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It's kind of a quiet week for games of my type, so I might give it a go. Just looking at it, my concern is that it's going to be the usual Hexwar/Hunted Cow game reskinned, but only one way to find out for sure, I suppose.

3. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    If I get it I'll get the OSX version. It is $4 and the developer told me the only difference between it and the iOS versions is that DLC will be free in the OSX version. But I want to hear about it before I spend $4 on somthing that is just more of the same. I already have about 5 Hexwar games on my iPad.

4. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    #4 Stronsay, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    As expected it's a reskin of the Hexwar engine. I guess that keeps the costs down, so there seems to be a lot of game here for a dollar. Nothing revolutionary. The mechs are varied and look cool. Working through the tutorial, which is much like previous tutorials of the series.

Edit - Something I've not seen before. Engineering units which transform into factories to produce more units.

5. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    How are the controls? Is it easy to mean to scroll the map and accidentally move a unit instead and visa versa. That is one thing I hate about games on the iPad when the map is bigger that the viewport. That is when a mouse/keyboard is better.

6. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Controls are fine so far. Unit movement requires a second tap to confirm (or just double tap selected hex) so it's unlikely they will be moved accidentally. The map can be zoomed out and can be played from that wider view. Although it's an old engine, it's been evolved over time so play is pretty slick with unit/terrain info easily to hand. Combat stats can be optionally displayed before comitting. Overall it's a good representation of tabletop style, turn based, move and shoot wargaming.

7. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Its currently 99 cents

8. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    #8 TokyoDan, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    I know that it is a buck for iOS but I was talking about the OSX version which is 4 bucks (actually it's 5 bucks). I guess I wasn't clear. Anyway, if a game is available on both Mac and iPad I generally go for the Mac version. 9 times out of 10 strategy games with scrolling maps are easier to control with mouse & keyboard.