Should we bring No Time To Explain to the iOS?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tinyBuild, Mar 23, 2011.

1. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    #1 tinyBuild, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Hi everyone,

We've recently announced an indie game for PC/Mac and instantly people started asking about iOS and Xbox/PSN versions.

Definitely positive about Xbox/PSN versions because we know the market, the audience and that the game controls really well with a gamepad.

Now, onto the iOS version.

Simple question. Would YOU play it? (on the iOS)

UPDATE

It's been 4 years since this thread went live, and the game has now been ported to Unity. We're releasing it on Xbox One soon, and then question is would you play it on iOS?

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yes (dont have any time to explain anymore)

3. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Me too, from the video looks really interesting and new, which is a very welcome feature.

4. e_sweezy

e_sweezy Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Yes, looks great.

5. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Wow, that looks amazing. Definitely on the Xbox 360 please, and definitely worthy of an iPhone game too! YES YES YES!

6. tinyBuild

Mar 23, 2011
    The Xbox version is in the pipeline :cool:

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #7 arta, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Yeah do it, just be sure to play current iOS platformers like League of Evil and Robot Wants Kitty, to get an idea of how tight the controls need to be.

I'm picturing Left/ Right buttons on the left side of the screen to walk. For the right, an analog stick to aim the beam, and tap anywhere on the screen to shoot the beam. As for jump, you could have a small jump button over the analog stick.

Basically some sort of elegant hybrid between League of Evil & Gameloft controls. :)

Edit: oh the beam itself works like controlled jumping. Even simpler.

8. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Great stuff! And how long's this pipeline of yours, roughly? ;)

9. tinyBuild

Mar 23, 2011
    LoE was SURPRISINGLY better than expected in terms of controls. It was actually precise and tight -- so we'd be looking at it during development (WHICH IS NOT CONFIRMED YET!)

Control-wise, there'd be 2 thumb sticks and a "tap screen to jump" Real simple. However it'd still work best on a gamepad with shoulder buttons.

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    League of Evil should be studied by all iOS platformer makers. They should look to match or exceed the tightness of its controls. :)

Would you mind explaining the normal control scheme for say, a Dualshock or Xbox controller? Also, can you jump without the beam? I want to be sure I've wrapped my head around it before I jump ahead and make suggestions.

11. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd pay five bucks or so for that. It looks like Cyanide and Happiness:):):)

12. tinyBuild

Mar 23, 2011
    Dual sticks - move left/right

Right shoulder buttons = jump

Left should buttons = gun/jetpack

Obviously this can be configured in any way. And yes, you can jump without the jetpack gun.

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Please bring this to the iOS. If the controls are tight and has a good story mode im sold :)

14. chrisjamess

chrisjamess Active Member

Apr 14, 2010
    What the hell? This looks awesome! Yes, I would buy it.

15. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    That trailer was hilarious! Count me in for the xbox version, and would definitely love an ipad version :)

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    When I was watching the trailer I imagined tilting to move (bare with me, I know people don't like it if it's not done right) and shooting the laser thing just by tapping the screen wherever you want it to fire. The most innovative (and in some aspects, successful) games on the AppStore are the ones that find effective ways to avoid virtual buttons as much as possible.

I don't know if there are any game mechanics that mean that couldn't work but 1:1 interaction with choice of where to fire seems like a winning formula to me. You need to go as simple and accessible as possible, the touchscreen is a gift so use it! Virtual buttons have their audience but they also have opposition.

Regardless of the controls though, it looks like something that would take off on these forums and likely sell pretty well.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #17 arta, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Okay, while someone else can suggest tilt controls (I hate them), here's virtual controls for right handed players:

Left/ Right buttons on the left side of the screen (or analog stick for movement).
    Analog stick on right side for aiming the beam. I'm not sure if firing the beam is automatic. If not, have a shoot button over analog stick.
    Touch anywhere on screen to jump.

Give us the ability to swap buttons (for left handed people) AND let us move the buttons anywhere we want ala Gameloft, you've got yourself a game.

18. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    This game looks awesome!
    [chant] bring it to iOS! bring it to iOS! [/chant]
    lol

Here's an idea for a control scheme:
    To move right, touch the very right side of the screen, and to move left, touch the very left side of the screen. There'd be vertical, translucent "bars" running up and down on either side of the screen. Then a horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen to jump. Touch anywhere else on the screen to fire in the direction that you're touching. This control method would make it so that you could multitask with your moving and firing, while still keeping the direct finger-to-beam relationship that would be necessary for precise movements and maneuvers.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love that control scheme.

19. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yes! Yes! I would sooo buy that!!!!! Bring it over! Now!!!!

20. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I like those best, but there's the problem with if you wanna aim inside those bars.... but honestly, there's some great control ideas on this thread and I think if you use all of them (option the control method) everyone would be happy.

BTW.... YESSS BRING IT TO iOS IT LOOKS AWESOME. AND HILARIOUS TRAILER BTW.... I AM FROM THE FUTURE.... OH WAIT.... KICKS OLD SELF INTO CLAW :D