First app to have over 1gb of memory

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ShadowsFall, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    #1 ShadowsFall, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Surprisingly yes if you go check it out on itunes. The app Tom Tom seriously went through a lot of trouble to make a GPS system for the iPhone and or iPod Touch (though I wouldn't recommend it to buying it for the iPod ;P).

So is this the first app to have over 1gb? If not, then please post any other applications to prove that once in for all that you can make any other app that has 1gb or more data without hassile.

2. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Most turn-by-turn navigator GPS are over 1GB, such as the Navigon and Sygic ones.
    I don't think there are any other apps that are over 1GB.

3. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    The closest i know of other than that is Myst, with 727mb.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You mean over 1GB of data, if it had over 1GB of memory that'd imply you have the memory free to use.

5. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Lol my bad... I knew memory sounded a bit wrong

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Myst is 533mb

7. DOG87

DOG87 Well-Known Member

If you look in iTunes there are movies over 1 GB
    if you count it as some sort of app

8. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #8 HardcoreEricXXX, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Maybe if I can find a deal on one of the docks for my iPod it might be nice. One thing I miss about my XV6700 was my Garmin GPS mount.
    Would have been much cooler if it was designed like those Morpie battery packs, with a spare battery and gps chip, and was portable.

9. Trotgar

Trotgar Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    It was 727 when it came out. Now it's 533

10. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    You cant get TomTom for the iPod Touch, so there is no need to worry about that

11. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Can Tom Tom, or any other nav software, work around the shortcomings of the iPhone's GPS? In my experience the phone can't keep up with driving speeds and is pretty unreliable.

Can the iPhone, in its current state, be a viable alternative to a standalone nav unit?

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Wow, how fast do you drive? ;)

The GPS in my phone has not had any trouble matching my position up to 140 km/h. It must have a clear view of the sky. I find it works better in suburban or rural areas as the signal can be interrupted when I drive through tightly packed skyscrapers of the downtown business centre. I know MotionX GPS uses accelerometer assistance in some fashion and maybe TomTom does as well. And yes, my iPhone GPS is as reliable as my Magellan. I just wish it could estimate travel time by bicycle (personal experience says divide the walking time estimate by 3.)

13. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
  14. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Encyclopedia is 0.1MB app, but when you launch, it downloads wikipedia, which takes up 2GB.