Age of Tribes - the closest thing to Lemmings (yet)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FancyFactory, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #1 FancyFactory, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    Hi,

of course FancyFactory's (my's ;)) debut game is not a clone of Lemmings - but the main reason for starting this game was to bring the good old "little, funny, dumb guys" feeling into the app store.
    I simplified the Lemmings gameplay a lot with elements of line drawing games - perfect for iTouch devices.
    Currently the game is nearly finished and the betatest is running, some graphics and character animations are still missing. This will be done in the next few weeks. A release is aimed within the next 3 or 4 weeks.

[HQYOUTUBE]gB7CigtkrL8[/HQYOUTUBE]

Age of Tribes

As the leader of a small group of natives from different eras, it's your mission to lead the members of your clan home safely. Not that simple, since your tribe members trust you blindly and would readily follow any path you present them with.

You determine the way home simply by skillfully drawing stairs with your finger. Tap the screen once to start a new stairway - then move the finger to the point where the stairs should end and stop touching the screen. The newly created path only exist for a few seconds - so it depends on the right timing. You can make up to 8 paths at a time. Wrong way set? Simply erase it with the virtual "rubber". The group members will happily follow any path that you draw for them. And this way, with a little bit of luck, you'll make sure that all of the clan members reach their home safely. In the process, watch out for dangerous traps and take care that your people don't fall down to far.
    To complete a level you have to lead a set amount of members home safely - you'll find the exact amount at the top edge of the screen next to the time display.

Thanks to Plus+ after each successfully completed level you have the opportunity to save your required time into a highscore list. The less time you need for a level, the higher your achievement will be rated. Achievments for solving levels in a pre-defined timeframe are available.

Features

- 4 different eras (egypt, viking, aztec and chinese) with a total of 8 different graphic themes
    - 3 beginner levels and 5 levels per era
    - precise touchscreen controls
    - beautifully designed graphics
    - elaborate animations and partical effects (2nd gen devices or better)
    - exclusive sountrack for each era
    - funny sound effects
    - leaderboards and achievements
    - Plus+ enabled

----------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your interest!

Axel

2. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Lol when I saw Age of Tribes I thought it was gonna be like Age of Empires or something...I was so excited...and then I read the next part of the title and a part of me died inside............jk jk. I love lemmings, and this game looks fantastic from the descrition and pics. Let me say I will be one of the first to get this game. Great job!

3. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #3 FancyFactory, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    Sorry for that confusion. ;)

4. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

I still play Lemmings from time to time - one of the all time classics. Lemmings was great because they got the difficulty levels spot-on. I'm really looking forward to giving this a go.

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Wow, looks awesome. Can't wait to see it out in stores!

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

man... i cant believe i missed beta testing this...

7. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I actually beta tested this game and i must say, it's a winner. :) good luck Axel!

8. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    I updated the screenshots with two shots of the egyptian stages. My artist is still working on the viking character animations (which I personally like most - tough little guys ;)) and some of the screens.

9. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Finally...I updated the first post with a gameplay video. I hope you like it!

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

This looks really nice. As far as I see it, you only draw lines which create or block the way, very much like the trampolin mini games of New Super Mario Bros or Kirby Power Painbrush. ThatÂ’s far away from the gameplay Lemmings offers, where you control the little people and give them orders. For me this looks like a good and polished puzzle game I will certainly buy which offers the zen style gameplay of Lemmings, but lacks the direct control. KamiCrazy on the other hand offers control over the people, but it has more an action gameplay to it, which conflicts with the zen like experience you had playing Lemmings.

I also noticed, that the control scheme looks a bit awkward. Obviously you draw the lines with one finger. It seems that the devs thought, that this would conflict with other gestures to move or zoom the view, so they added four buttons to move and zoom around, which clutter the playfield. It would be easier to use this control scheme:

Draw with one finger: Creates line
    Move the view with two fingers
    Pinch: Zoom in/out

There also seems to be a mute button in the top right, which you should not need, because you have the mute switch on your device or can out a switch into the menu.

The egypt theme looks really great and was one of my favorite themes in Lemmings!

11. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Hi Oliver,

thanks a lot for your suggestions! Some words from the dev...
    The main idea behind "Age of Tribes" was to provide a Lemmings like feeling (not to copy this classic) with an easy (!) access to the game and its controls on iDevices. A simple but challenging gameplay with nice artworks, sounds and music. "zen like" - yes, you can call it that way.
    I marked the word easy here because that is a very important point to me: I dont like games where I'm lost in the beginning or need to play tutorials for a basic understanding. I like easy accessible games with controls like "aahh..that button is for that, this button for that.." and so on. No much thinking, simple touching and playing. If this "costs" a button here and there I'm fine with it. Hopefully I'm not the only one who likes casual games that way. ;)

Axel

12. teoma

teoma Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    #12 teoma, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    This dev agrees with you, to a degree.... it might be nice to have the option of the above control scheme....

I do agree with Axel - the buttons are more intuitive. I like the idea of 'no button' gameplay - but again, people wouldn't get it without a tutorial of sorts.

13. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Looks really good. Maybe you could release a Ultra-Lite version with a couple of levels? As it is, this is probably on many people's Instabuy lists but give us a chance to try the mechanics of it. If it's as solid as it looks, that'll just confirm in people's minds they'll be buying it. Maybe you could do a level in each theme that ISN'T in the full game, that way it doesn't take away its value but provide a significant opportunity to get a feel for the game.

14. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Wow, that is such an awesome gameplay video. Really well done. Can't wait for its release.

15. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    @TouchChatterbox

There will be a light version some weeks after the full game launches - and it will contain unique levels.

16. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Age of Tribes has been submitted to the appStore right now - so its up to Apple. If all works the game will be released on 05.Feb.2010.

17. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    So did I, it's awesome!

Can't wait for the 5th!

18. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Age of Tribes was approved by Apple today so the sale will start definitively this Friday, the 5.Feb. Tell your friends! ;)