Universal Ski Safari - (by Defiant Development)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #21 ColeDaddy, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    After having my fill of casual games, I didn't think I'd try this game out. But, the humor and smooth animation pulled me in. This is a fun 5-minute diversion with great entertainment value for the entire family. I appreciate the persistence of accumulated objectives that's were met and rolled over into the next play if we get smothered in snow in the previous level.

Some recommendations for future upgrades:
    -Mini-map showing what's ahead, especially useful for upcoming cliffs

2. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm really enjoying this...fun, fast and good objectives to entice you into "just one more run". Doing crazy flips after being carried by an eagle for the first time was quite amusing...though I misjudged the angle of the slope when trying to land :).

Anyone know if this is retina-enabled for the new iPad?

3. morganj

morganj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Acey : Not retina enabled yet, but we have an update in the pipe pretty soon. Will let you know when that's in the pipe.

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Actually, this game is more fun than I initially thought, and have one question... how do you stay on top of a snow cloud? I can only go trough them but never stay on them

5. morganj

morganj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Frost : The trick is that you need to come in at a pretty flat angle to ski along the clouds - too steep and you'll just bust right through them.

We definitely think the game gets better once you get into it - we tuned the opening difficulty back and forward a lot, and it may be that we've left it too casual for the average Touch Arcade player. It definitely ramps up as you get better though, so hopefully people will keep pressing on and find the real core of the game opens up after a bit of play.

6. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #26 TheFrost, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    @morganj Thanks for the tip... I agree on that here on TA gathers the "hardcorest" players of iOS anywhere so it might seem easy to some. Will try to reach further this game definitely deserves to be played extensively

Also, are you adding achievements to Ski Safari?

7. aceyprime

Apr 23, 2010
    So glad to hear this! It looks good on my iPad now but I'll eagerly await the retina goodness.

8. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Come on, another game where Game Center achievements could be set up easily but not there. Everything is already there.

9. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Impressions:

I really like it. I was afraid this might be on the childish side, but it definitely is not. The gameplay is smooth and polished; the animations are fun and engaging. The real sense of accomplishment with this game is the gratitude of pulling off a monster flip. You really have to time it just right, but once you land it...it's awesome. I pulled off my first triple flip, which fell into the risk/reward category. I had many failed attempts and was wondering if it was possible.

As I work my way further into the game, I am noticing what the developer was talking about earlier in the thread - it gets even better and more challenging. I found some hidden gems here and there. Can't wait to fully immerse myself into the core gameplay.

If you're on the fence with this one, I would encourage buying this whole-heartedly. The "just one more game" effect is very present in this game.

Hope this helps the skeptics...

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Very much anticipating this retina update, in particular. I'm enjoying the game, but I want to play this in full resolution. :)

11. tronboy

tronboy Member

Feb 23, 2010
    This is a pretty fun game. Smooth frame rate. Satisfying power UPS. As mentioned before, nice five minute sit down game. I'm enjoying this probably more than I have any other 'endless' game be I've played recently.

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    If this game could have an update like Madcoaster that could be sweet! (that is a shop to buy several items, including Skiing as a yeti for example, change the color of the snow, etc...)

13. yoko

yoko Member

Apr 17, 2012
    tiny wings style!

Really fun and sweet!! Just buy it!:eek:

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    +1

This would be a fantastic idea, and would totally round out the game, making it feel more complete.

15. aceyprime

Apr 23, 2010
    Agreed - a shop for cosmetic changes to the game bought using coins you collect in-game would be great (No IAP please!).

16. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i keep reading the name as Sky Safari instead of Ski Safari ._.

just like i read Amo-eh-battles for Amoebattles...

On Topic: I just started playing Jetpack Joyride again.... So with that being said, how does it compare?

I kinda got spoiled by a few runners like DRWAPS, JJ and Darkness Rush... other runners seem boring thanks to those 3... SO... Some help here?

17. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    JJ is quite unique and a true gem so its kind of tough compare it to the rest... DRWAPS dont know what it is and Darkness Rush never played it so I cant make a comparison... what I can tell you is that this one deserves a spin

18. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    DRWAPS = Don't Run With A Plasma Sword

Also forgot to mention that I have Fantasy x Runners.... Basically any runner with rpg mechanics or with unlockables is fine by me

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Then you will like as it features a lot of missions, Tiny Wings style

20. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i really don't like Tiny Wings ._.

ANYWAYs i just bought it so if i don't like it well i just lost a dollar...