Discourse surrounding Fran Bow being broken up into multiple apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dreadnok, Mar 4, 2016.

1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    #1 dreadnok, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
    Good lord how did this get past Apple

2. What do you mean?

3. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Steam reviews are overwhelmingly good just wish it was all in one

4. dabbed

dabbed Active Member

May 18, 2015
    Olympia
    Is it really fair for this game to be taking up the entirety of the hot new games section because it's broken up?

5. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Exactly what I came here to say, I was like, WTF is going on here? But now I actually just want to try this game out based on @appunwrapper s comments

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't really know what to do about that. I think if I remove all the additional chapter links from the first post, then that might fix it? But then is that confusing to not make people aware that this game is split into 5 parts? They might see that first post and think they're getting the whole game for $1.99. We could make separate threads for each chapter but that seems sort of unnecessary, and also could still lead to all the icons jamming up the hot games.

I dunno, what does anyone think? I figure it'll mellow out after a couple of days.

EDIT: Ok, removed all the links. We'll see what happens.

7. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Seems like it should be the devs responsibility to elaborate in the description the details of the content and how it should be obtained. But that's neither here nor there.
    -Her 5 fold face is rather disturbing to boot.

8. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    What's with the 5 parts ?

9. You really think they split up the app as some big plan to take over TA's hot games list?

For everyone else who actually wants to talk about the game itself -- I'm enjoying it so far, but granted, I haven't gotten too far into it. Will spend more time with it today. But its creepiness has surprised me quite a few times already. My main complaint so far is what I said earlier about the screen -- such a huge black border, that it almost makes my iPad screen feel like an iPhone.

I didn't know this before going in, but it has a mechanic that changes the environment. So it's similar to those games where you change time or the weather. Love those things, so that was a cool surprise for me. :)

10. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Here's what they had said about the chapters
    "In case you wonder why we chose to release the game in chapters, this is because we could reduce the amount of memory needed and make it more widely available for more players"

11. ShillingAround

ShillingAround New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    #11 ShillingAround, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    That's ridiculous, 1 game separated into 5 apps? Just to "reduce memory usage"? Uh... it actually takes MORE memory if you install 5 separate apps instead of 1 app + 4 DLCs, because no one would want to only play 1/5 of a game. At least make a separate version with all 5 included??
    Lol that was enough to kill my interest. I'll just watch a youtube vid of it instead, seems the game is too short to be worth $10 anyways.

12. Except Apple has no way (or even cares) to ensure that you can access the IAP you paid for if the game is ever removed from the App Store. I, for one, rather have them in my purchase history. Not sure why everyone is making such a big deal over this. It's a P&C split into chapters. Play one, delete it and install the next. It's not like you need all 5 installed at the same time.

Is there something else going on that's upsetting people that they're just not saying? Bc this seems to be a big overreaction to a game being split up.

I could understand if it gives you a different experience than the PC version by being like this. But so far no one's given any indication of that. So why is this such a big deal?

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Amen. I have no frickin' idea what is going on with this thread.

14. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    This is why we ant have nice things iOS gamers :(

15. This is what makes me sad. They could have easily ignored mobile and made us play on PC (which I do not want to do). Can't really fault any PC devs who choose to ignore mobile if they see these reactions.

16. ShillingAround

ShillingAround New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Because it breaks the very basic of basic design principles? People don't want one app split into 5 different icons cluttering up their phone? Or having to update 5 apps all the time instead of 1? Have you ever seen a book split into 20 different apps if it has 20 chapters? Or Walking Dead split into 5 apps just because each chapter took a few months to release?

Obviously this was done to:
    1) Make the game appear longer than it really is. "The game is so long it needs to be split into 5 apps!"
    2) Grab people's attention by having 5 identical icons clutter up the iTunes store

Otherwise there is zero reason why the devs didn't make a combined version as well. People who prefer 5 identical icons cluttering up their phone can get the separate version, while the rest of us can just have 1 app and be done with it.

Lol. Seems like a certain fanboy is having trouble patrolling this thread to make sure nothing negative is said about this game.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heh...I'd rather update 5 smaller apps every once in a while rather than have to download one massive 600 MB file on my connection. I'm thankful that I have the entire game on my phone and don't have to worry about pulling files from a bullshit server like I have to do with all the Telltale games and only download the separate episodes by 3G because they're prone to failing over and over again. This is all a matter of preference at the end of the day.

18. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I dont care about negative reviews, i dont like negative people #

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you guys were actually saying something negative about the game itself, it would be fine...but it's ridiculous that people are making a ****ing fuss over how a game is distributed.

And the guy complaining about the length has yet to acknowledge how short classic P&C games really are.

20. Also, the first chapter went from 20 min to 15 min. Next it'll be 10 min and then 5 min. I haven't finished the first chapter yet, so I can't comment on the actual length. But making those claims doesn't give the person any clout.