Ducktastic - Would love feedback...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ves, Nov 24, 2010.

1. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    Hi there,

My boyfriend and I just launched our first game (Ducktastic) on Friday 19th October. Neither of us have done anything like this before, and as a result, we think we might have been concentrating our efforts in the wrong places. Specifically the gameplay. I think we're a little too emotionally attached to the project, and really need some independent advice.

I would really appreciate any constructive feedback that you could give us. We think we might have the basics of a good game, but on reflection of putting it in the store we're now having second thoughts. As we've never done this before and don't really know anybody who has, we didn't really get much feedback aside from the programmers we hired.

We have promo codes, and will gladly give them out in return for constructive feedback. We don't need to know that the game sucks or that we should just give up, but if you could help point us in the right direction, that would be fantastic and we would be eternally grateful. Please PM me for the promo codes.

To tell you a bit about the game:

Our game's a little bit different, as it uses your location to render your time and weather in the gameplay and graphics. Whilst this isn't the most groundbreaking idea, we thought it could be an interesting feature. The artwork is also hopefully quite nice as its all been hand painted.

If you could help and give us some constructive feedback, we would be really grateful.

Thank you.

Vesna

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Icon:

[​IMG]

Here's the iTunes text:

Ducktastic is a fantastic retro game for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

☆“If I had an iPhone, I’d definitely buy it!” - Dave*
    The only game using the real weather around you.

Unfortunately for you, ducks are tasty. You were shot and captured, taken from your family, but you escaped becoming a main course at the local restaurant. Now you've just got to get home to the safety of your nature reserve.

Along the way, you'll have to eat to survive. It's a long journey, however there's plenty of bugs flying past to eat, but beware the one which stings!

The hunters aren't pleased you escaped. They want flesh. Your flesh. Cooked! So, expect to be shot at. A lot.

Ducktastic is both fun and addictive, harking back to the games you played as a child. Pilot your duck through 18 levels and stages in this beautiful game with exquisite hand painted graphics and great game play. Eat the bugs, dodge the bullets and do everything you can, not to end up on the restaurant menu. By using your local time and weather conditions in the game, it offers something different each time you play. With wind direction and speed affecting your flight, and with rain, clouds, night and more, it's ever changing and ever challenging.

Features include:

☆ 18 levels/stages through 6 exquisite regions
    ☆ Beautiful artwork with hand painted backgrounds
    ☆ Weather FX**; each time you play it could be different***
    ☆ Automatic day and night time modes

The relevant links:

http://www.vna.cc
    http://www.ducktastic.info
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ducktastic/id402181408?mt=8

2. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

Fun game

Looks good , hope you have much success in your game.

3. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    it's a refreshing change for a vertical scroller.

id be interested in playing it and can give some feedback if you'd like

4. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    Thanks for the offer... I've just PM'd you a promo code.

5. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    Krehol Games - would you like a code so you can have a look?

Really, at this stage all thought are welcome.

6. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm interested in trying it out - the idea of using your current weather/time is interesting. I'd be happy to provide whatever feedback I can.

7. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    secondtime - I've just PM'd you a promo code...

Thanks for offering to have a look.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    anyone of you guys who say the game looks interesting and want to give feedback should spend that one dollar and not take promo codes.. its not like this is a 50$ game..

if someone wants to help you can do it with a dime and your opinion..

@ves: handing out promo codes to anyone won't help you usualy and mostly doesnt get you anywere.

anyway good luck with your game

9. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    #9 ves, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    Hi mr.Ugly - Thanks for the reply. To be honest at this stage we really just need some constructive feedback, thus the promo codes are fine. Also, we're in Croatia, and don't really know that many people in the states. Those we do we do know are having difficulty rating and reviewing the game, they think they're doing us a favour by just using the code.

The reason behind our doubts is because we were previewed on "touch-my-apps"* and the journalist contacted us. We had some dialogue, sent them a promo code, and from the flurry stats, they've played one session only for a few seconds, and we haven't heard from them since. I've a feeling that they hated the game. Hence we started having second thoughts.

We know our game isn't the greatest, but it was the best we could do with our budget (we're self funded and not programmers). As this is our first time time doing anything like this, we could just really do with the constructive feedback with how to make it better.

Don't suppose you'd like to take a look? PM me.

Thanks, Vesna

*note, I can't seem to paste the link to the preview, because the site is blocked by Toucharcade.

10. flod

flod Active Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Developer
    Great concept regarding the weather change and the graphics and app description look/sound decent to me. My only question would be why feature such testimonials/impressions in both the app store description and your website?
    “If I had an iPhone, I’d definitely buy it!” - Dave (Sorry, how is this actually helping me?)
    “Games good... but the name’s rubbish!” - Ivana (Why on Earth would you feature such a comment? :) )

Maybe most people skim through these without noticing, but it really caught my eyes and didn't send me any positive impressions. I'd suggest you remove them until someone (maybe even from this forum) has something of value to say.

Keep up the good work.

11. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    #11 ves, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    Hi Flod,

In hindsight, yes, I think you're right about the quotes. They were actually real quotes from our friends and my boyfriend thought it would be funny and a little different to include them in the listing. I think on your advice we'll remove them, and I shall be having words with my boyfriend later! :)

Really glad you like the idea and the artwork. It seems that people like what they see, we just now need to convert this into some sales.

12. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Then buy it, its a dollar.

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Hi there Ves. I think the game looks good but not fantastic. What I feel is lacking is a bit more humoristic graphics. I think the in-game graphics are fine, but it's a funny concept, and the description shows you have a sense of humor. Perhaps the icon, menus could reflect this as well?

14. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. Just out of interest, did you gauge that from the screenshots, or did you play the game?

You're absolutely right in that there isn't much humour in the game, I can't quite believe we missed that! I think we were trying for the quality and the weather features and missed that aspect completely. Any ideas how we could do this without making massive changes, as we've already over our budget? Did anything leap out at you that we should have done?

Vesna

15. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Hi Vesna. That was just the impression I got from the screenshots.

When I saw the game title I was expecting to see some comic rendition of a duck at some stage. (Perhaps because I have an idea for a duck-featuring game myself).

You seem to have somer artistic talent on board so I would think the easiest way to infuse the the game with some humor would be to include some comic duck renderings. Off the top of my head: Some stressed out ducks on the menu screen. Perhaps a game over screen with tombstones displaying names like "Donald", "Daffy" etc...?

The icon should probably also pick up this theme in my opinion...

16. secondtime

Oct 19, 2009
    No. You're saying: "Buy my game so you can give me constructive feedback?"

I'm already giving my time and effort, (and I probably won't do that if it doesn't look "interesting"), I should not have to purchase a game because a dev would like feedback. Usually feedback is done through a beta testing process, also at no cost to the person providing feedback. I doubt the beta testing pool would be so big if folks were asked to purchase the game.

In their case, they are not handing out promo codes to anyone, and they are providing them via PM - they are asking for feedback through that mechanism. It is actually a reasonable method, assuming, of course, they do choose folks who take the time and effort as promised.

17. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well its about support.. and honestly most "beta" test just want to grab a free game and thats it.. how come there are so many new faces here when there is something "free" to grab..

the game is already released so "beta" testing is over.. now they want feedback on the game.. consumer feedback.. and handing out via PM makes no difference at all..

time and effort. hehe well i'm looking forward to your 30 page essay on the game, to read on the pro and cons and what could be changed and how.. lets see if thoose "testers" are worth the dollar they got for free..

and you are one of thoose lurkers.. check your own posts (anyone can check what you actualy write on this forum) and most of the stuff is related to promo codes..

so yeah, have some decency and buy something if you like it.. if not then there is no reason to lurk for a promo code..

i personaly feel disgusted.. but thats just my 2 cents... time and effort.. pff.. as if

18. secondtime

Oct 19, 2009
    Wow, you are living up to your username.

Lurkers are ones that take a code and do not post that they took a code.

I won't be writing a 30 page essay for you. I will, however, provide feedback to the developer as they asked.

19. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    I'd just like to say thanks for the feedback to everybody. I've had lots of really good constructive criticism, which has been very helpful, and at the least made me look at my game in a different light. There's quite a few things that I'll be implementing, although they'll have to be costed before I invest anything substantial. Nick, I've already changed the iTunes listing and got rid of the comedy quotes.

I totally understand the situation with promo codes and free loaders. I had quite a few PMs from people who have only just been members of the forum, and what I was really after was people who've actually done this before, with some experience. This is our first time, and both my boyfriend and myself, have never done anything like this or know anybody who has, thus its been really helpful.

In the back of my mind, I still think I need to make the game a little more interesting and or entertaining, so if anybody else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Vesna

20. ves

ves Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Croatia
    Update coming waiting for approval...

Thank you to everybody who tried the game. We've had some great feedback and have now an update waiting for approval to fix the first set of issues raised. A further update will come soon to sort out the accelerometer and iOS 4.2.1 problems caused by the multiple-tasking.

It's been great having a dialogue with the people who PM'd me, and some interesting things came up that we didn't think of at all, and probably should have sorted out in the beta testing stage. But, since this was our first, we really didn't have a clue and now are quite a bit wiser.

Again, thank you for all the help.

Vesna