What's the story behind your username?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by knoids, Mar 21, 2012.

1. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    My name is the one that I use everywhere. GameCenter, my computers name, my Xbox Live profile, and all sorts of other usernames everywhere. My name started when my sister did that name for something, and it's one of those user-names that is always open and I always use it. I just used it for TouchArcade automatically! I have always thought that it sounded a little to much like 'steroids'. Oh well.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #2 backtothis, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    I genuinely wish I knew. Been using it since then for everything game-related and other informal online things like TA.

Edit: I want to say it's from when I started playing StarCraft online again about five years ago during my freshman year in high school after having not played it for quite a few years. Made it for Battle.net. So, in essence, I was coming back to the game. That didn't last long though, lol. Quit a few months later. Found it to be a pretty attractive moniker, and most people would agree, I think.

I'm pretty sure it's from when I was in high school already in any case.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #3 Echoseven, Mar 21, 2012
    You know, I was just pondering this very question not so long ago.

I actually recently found out that Echo Seven is the call sign for a small unit in Star Wars - one that has generated a small following, as many brief and unimportant fragments of famous movies are bound to. There's also a guild under the same name in any SW-related MMO, lol.

But as for where it came from... //shrug
    I often write down notes for words/phrases/plot segments and this was one of the names on my list when I was deciding who to register under. I always have a hard time picking a name (spend two hours naming my laptop, lol) so I often refer to my list and I rather like this one.

And I very rarely re-use usernames, so as time goes on it's harder to pick fresh ones. :p

Sorry about the rant.

Edit: Plus it compresses into E7 rather nicely, lol.

knoids likes this.
  4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Mine is easy: My last name is Frost, and since the "Frost" username cant be used anywhere (dont know the reason but is ALWAYS taken) I added "The", so... just call me Frost :p

5. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    The Jason Kidd / Kenyon Martin era defined me as a sports / basketball fan. Living in NJ at the time, I was fortunate enough to experience THE most explosive Guard-Forward combination in the NBA back then. With Martin's "Griffin-like" dunks being set up by and Kidd's dazzling passes, it was a great time to be a Nets fan (with the exception of the Finals games, of course).

6. donperson

donperson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Norway
    My nick makes no sense at all, but it's just something i randomly came up with when i registered at the forums. I tend to read the forums and TA more than i actually post.

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Cool thread topic.

My son's name is Cole. Hence, my username. Why not "ColesDaddy" you might ask? It just sounded better sans the "S".

knoids likes this.
  8. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Mine is nonsense, but I use it everywh ere on the Internet or anytime I have to create a user name for some account. I know it hasn't been taken by any site that tracks names and only allows them to be used once. My real user name is dumas1000. Then I have some variations. It's a combination of the fact that dumas sounds like it could be French for dumbass (although it's not) and a T-1000 terminator. It's really nonsensical though. Purposefully nonsensical. My friend likes to use the name Boogar, with sounds like it could be French for booger.

I like to try to bait trolls into calling me a dumbass too. Like I haven't heard that before. They probably think they're been cleverly or something. In reality, that's the entire point.

9. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Game discussion? Shouldnt this be under the general discussions threads...
    Basically when asked to type a username i put this one :)
    Always used this name for years so i forget why lol

10. RS200

RS200 Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Mine is a little lame - but it is my favourite car! - the Ford RS200. It also is my initials too, so that kinda fits.

I would like to hear Oooooooomonkey's response to this ... :):D:):D

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Always assumed that was where yours originated. Fun coincidence. :)

Mine is two Bowie songs, Cygnet Committee and Seven. Back in the day when you needed a disc you that got in the mail to sign up for internet/AOL, it prompted me for a username and I realized I didn't have one. Seven was playing and Cygnet Committee was one of my favorites.

12. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    Whoops, that is where I meant to put it. I hope it does not get deleted/flagged, because this is awesome!

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Lol! Just posted my story in the ChocoRun thread... since you and Exact-Psience were talking about it... Here it is:

"Since everyone's spoutin' out the origins of their usernames, I may as well state mine, since a lot of people are wondering what the heck ninjackid is supposed to mean. Well, back when I got my first email account (I was like 9 or 10, lol) I took the first initial of my name, (C) and then "Kid" and made Ckid my email username. I've been using it ever since and when I joined TA I just stuck Ninja in front of it and hence came NinjaCkid. "

14. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #14 Edmilan, Mar 21, 2012
    Will add to this. My previous username was Slighmd, sligh from magic the gathering since i used to play red burn, and md for my profession. Been using it for a few years. Recently changed it to what im using now which is basically my "shortcutted" name coz some people couldnt pronounce it ( they say sleeg md) :D

15. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    When I was younger I was into theology and mysticism, I read the Hermetica and always loved how the names Hermes Trismegistus and Thoth sounded phonetically, not to mention the mystique behind these historical figures. Thoth is shorter and easier to say so I went with that. I also love hip hop and liked how MF DOOM would spell his name in all caps so I took the two and combined them into my username. Now I use it with all things game related.

16. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Not sure how much of a creeper/stalker this makes me but......the awesome IMNS/ Im No Super Man former TA Mod was a really big scrubs fan and thats a catch phrase thats in the theme song and it just stuck with him.

17. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Nice can't go wrong with Bowie. I often shout when I'm a little inebriated at Widespread Panic shows and they play a Bowie song during set break, which they do a lot, "I f###ing love Bowie!" My incredible enthusiasm probably freaks whatever random person I'm talking to out just a little bit.

Anyway, my username I've been using for everything for years. It comes from a t-shirt that Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio wore during the bands performance at the IT music festival. I think one of the e's was upside down or something but can't remember. I like it cause its never used and I never have to add any numbers to it. Plus nobody knows what the heck it means unless they are Phish nuts like me.

18. landhuman

landhuman Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Imagine there are sea-humans, and air-humans..

..only, I'm the other kind.

19. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    Thank's for all of the replys!

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Mine is from when I made my Xbox live GT. When I got Xbl gold I redeemed the code but had know Idea what to do for my name so since I've always liked fire type everything like pokemon, i decided to do fire for the first part then i felt it was a bit lacking so I added the ball. my Xbl GT has since changed but Fireball has really stuck to me so I use it for everything.

Rather lame compared to other stories. Looking foward to reading other peoples.