Universal King of Dragon Pass - (by A Sharp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 7, 2011.

1. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    at some point the price will come down !

then buy this, its brilliant :)
    am very surprised myself, but it is great :)

2. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    The price was scaring me off, but I finally took the plunge.

And I am SO mad that I didn't do so sooner. This is by far the greatest game on my iPod. I've already invested at LEAST 15 hours in this game, and still feel urges to play whenever I have free time.

This game is worth asking price. Don't wait for a sale. Buy it now.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not waiting for a sale, instead, I am waiting for proper support for iPad...

Games like X-Plane may never see a sale...

5. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    Unfortunately, if you're waiting for proper iPad support you may be waiting a long time. There are a variety of issues with this, art resolution being just one of them. A proper iPad app would require a different UI as well. David is busy adding VoiceOver support at the moment, and not sure if an iPad app is even in the cards.
    Seriously, get the game regardless. THe thing you're waiting for may never come. :)

6. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Seriously, really? It's a port of a game with text and static pictures that was released in 1999. The pictures don't even have fancy color cycling or anything. It's just not what this game is about.

7. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes seriously, I am of old age that the size of iPad screen pleases me...May be I have to get used to the 2X screen (I play Deathsmiles exclusively on iPad, FYI).

I don't know but I grew up with 1024x768 screen of my PC gaming "experience" and not counting this in the first place, could be, a "misstep"?

Anyway, there is a reason why I love those who put their premium titles universal get my worship. (Gameloft included)

8. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    2x is playable, by all accounts. I'd get used to it, it's all you're probably going to have from A-Sharp on this for a while at least, assuming they decide to go universal at all. Again, there are reasons why they haven't.

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    ...and I respect that decision...

I do not blame publisher for putting up different versions for iPhone and iPad, they want to make money anyway.

I can understand that there are always choices and priorities to make. I would wait to see if there is anything worth looking at tonight before shelling out the $$$.

P.S. I don't think voice over is necessary.

P.P.S. If I look for shiny graphics at 1024, I can always go to Galaxy on Fire 2.

10. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    If I may ask, why don't you think VoiceOver is necessary? I don't mean to be confrontational about this, but I for one am someone who can only play KoDP thanks to the work the developer has put into supporting it. I'm testing a version with it right now, and assure you that you don't need to worry about it yourself, it onlymatters to the few of us who are blind.

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I is just me...I happen to mute my devices both at home and on the road. It is always great to see the developer's continuous support and heck it is just me, and again, adding VO does not put me off from buying (in the near future)....

12. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Would VoiceOver increase the size of the game significantly?

13. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    Not at all. VoiceOver is a built-in technology on all iOS devices allowing blind and low vision users to utilize them. You don't need to worry about it as a sighted person, and all the KoDP support does is make the game playable with it. THe game is the same size as it ever was.

14. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Not sure if you're aware that VoiceOver is the name of the technology that lets blind players enjoy the game. We are not talking voice actors!

IF there is iPad support (and I really haven't decided to take on the formidable task of making 40 or so screens work, all over again), I would not really want players to lose games in progress. So I lean towards universal. (On the other hand, I have never created a universal app, so I'm not sure how much work there is just to be universal, let alone the iPad layout that would be needed.)

And again, I apologize that we had no time machine in 1997 that let us know that we would have more pixels in our pockets than we were creating assets for.

15. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    This game was so worth the money. It's a polished experience and the lore is awesome. Finished my ten year ring, working on the long game... Killing me that nearly my entire inner and outer circle is comprised of Euralda and Orlanth devotees right now. I need to send some out on dangerous exploring missions and increase my circle's religious diversity :)

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    David,

The pictures look pretty good at 2x. They could probably be made better still using a fractal plug-in for photoshop to increase the resolution that way if you wanted. BUT, the area that could be improved the most for iPad would be to redo the text at a proper resolution.

The text is the weakest part of the game at 2x by far. Any improvements to the UI or graphics would be icing on the cake.

17. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    It's great that you were able to re-release this. So many great games have fallen into legal limbo and can't be restored.

18. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm extremely hesitant to do any processing to the art — unless you’re really good at it, Photoshop filters tend to be noticeable. I do agree though that the reason to do iPad-specific work would be the text (I never really understood why Apple couldn’t have handled that).

But, Accessibility lets brand new people play, as well as being less work. (Plus it’s uncovered a bunch of typos that look OK but sound bad.)

19. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    VoiceOver

I’m pleased to say that version 2.0.2 is now out, with preliminary VoiceOver support. Been hearing from blind players that it works for them.

(This version should also fix a crash that a few players have run into. And for the rest of you, there’s a new scene.)

20. Quick Question: When you do a Heroquest, is the picture supposed to have a beige line at the right or left? (This makes the picture a bit blurry, if there is a glitch)