Lack of 3rd Person Shooters on iOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Exact-Psience, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    By 3rd person shooter i mean behind-the-back-view.

With EA pulling out Dead Space and Mass Effect Infiltrator, i think only a very select few are decent.

It seems Shadowgun will be king without much competition, and then there's Max Payne, 9mm, Invader hunter, and Star Warfare 1 & 2. There's the sandbox types too like GTA and Gangstar, but im looking for the more linear-ish ones.

Im actually re-downloading 2013 Infected Wars to see if i'll like it, but im sure i didnt back then. They did update it after a while with a few difficulty modes but i think they dropped it to freemium and not everyone who played it then liked it. We'll see.

Are there any other ones out there worth checking out?

2. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Only game that comes to mind is Trigger Fist. It's alright if you want to play against bots most of the time. A bit difficult to find matches with real players these days. You could also check out M.U.S.E. It's a single player TPS with RPG elements. Not sure if it works with iOS 8 and up though.

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I really didnt like MUSE, but im willing to give it another shot.

2013 Infected Wars is ok, but still a mess with how "difficulty" only means zombies with 9000 hp. The freemium model is how it should have been since the beginning with how everything is setup. Putting a mid-tier price tag on it on release with how much freemium elements it had (as it is right now) was unexpected and was a huge turn off. The first 2 difficulties are at least ok now even though it still takes multiple headshots to define the game's difficulty.

Im really not expecting out of Madfinger Games anymore, but i hope they at least update Shadowgun on each future iOS version coz it's still one of (if not the best) the best 3rd person shooter available on iOS.

4. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Call me weird but I think it's nice that we have at least one platform that isn't utterly swamped by shooters.
    :)

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I understand what you mean, but being swamped is pretty different from having a number of decent shooters being countable with your fingers.

6. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Yep, I think the same, iOS has very few decent TPS, I mean, I think that in general we don't have too many 'Hardcore' games on iOS but I think that's because of the fact that, if you are targeting a game for 'Hardcore' players and you aren't Fallout Shelter you will need to be premium, premium usually generates less revenue compared to F2P, and 'Hardcore' games are usually more expensive to develop so they have even less profit margin making 'Hardcore' games way less attractive to developers.
    But anyways, we at least have Shadowgun and Respawnables, those two are probably some of the few veterans remaining

7. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'd love to see a "Shadowgun 2" or an offshoot of Shadowgun. In my opinion Shadowgun and Mass Effect really set the bar for iOS TPS games.

Bullet Time HD by Kiloo games is a good one if you haven't checked that one out.

8. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #9 Kenan2000, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Exact!Try playing MHFU with a bow/bowgun/heavy bowgun.Now you have another awesome rpg/third person shooter on iOS :D

But to be serious,dual stick shooters with view from top can also be considered as tps' and we're getting a lot of them.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #10 Exact-Psience, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    I have sank 600 hours on mhfu ios and yes i have over 100 usages on each weapon type at least so no, that's not going to scratch the itch.

If you check my original post in this thread the first line specified that we are lacking the behind-the-back ones. I know top-downs and even side scrollers are all in third person, but that's not what we are lacking on ios.

10. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    We have Exiles but it's a mess..

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... True. I finished it in the first 5-6 hours since i bought it, but it left a taste so bad i totally forgot about it.

12. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Exact,have you tried The Silver bullet?It's an awesome paid devil may cry-ish 3rd person shooter.
    Well imo Rockstar releases the best tps' on ios,I mean Gta SA literally has everything that you might dream of in a tps':

1) Tons of environments - from SWAT-ambushed hotel to cargo plane filled with bombs and agents from some secret agency.
    2) Detailed weather system.
    3) TONS of weapons.
    4) Sandbox.

Don't forget about 2d shooters and action games such as Terraria (it is NOT just a "digging,building" type of a game,minecraft's "action" system is nothing compared to Terraria's,minecraft is more of a peaceful type of a building game while Terraria is plain hardcore action with building) ,The Deer God,Counterspy,Zombieville USA 1/2,Aliens drive me crazy,etc.

I know that the camera in these games is not behind your character but imo it's all about fun,not about camera angle.Like most of Glu's games are copy pasted third person shooters without any freedom of movement and they totally suck.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Both your posts in this thread suggest you arent reading the thread, not even the very first post.

14. Swelab Games

Swelab Games Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Sweden, Malmo
    Time is money

You need time to do 2rd person in ios and I think there are many love to make 2d games because it is much easier