Universal Neoteria - Remaster (by OrangePixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Slimey

Slimey Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Graphics and gameplay really reminds me of some early days of my gaming experience :)

2. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

No sorry, also don't forget, getting an update on the Appstore takes a week, this update was already planned and waiting for release when I first heard about the 2nd gen problems ;)

it's on the Todo list, but it's not one of the easiest fixes to implement (probably requiring some big rewriting of code)

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Nice update, but I'm not a huge fan of the way you implemented 360 movement. Relative touch would have been way better than a virtual stick. And if it must be a virtual stick, is there any way to keep it from being accidentally positioned so close to the screen edge that 180 degrees of that movement becomes impossible?

4. Just a quick message to say there are plans to release the OST to this game shortly...I'll keep you posted!

5. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    sorry, but what is 'OST'?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Original Soundtrack

7. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    Thanks for the reply

8. Ahh you beat me to it!

9. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    Thanks to you for making awesome music!

10. Awww thanks for listening and the kind comments...plenty more music to come! :)

11. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I've just spent a few days playing the game, and whilst I certainly appreciate the game there were a couple of frustrations.

I found the movement of the ship a bit slow, and as such there were spots it couldn't move quick enough to navigate the caverns properly or avoid bullets.

I wish it was more of a traditional '3 lives and done' style, rather than the infinite lives. I've tried to see how far I can get from stage 1, but with no way to replenish energy (pickups? refresh partially at the end of a stage?) its simply too hard to get past maybe four or fives stages without dying. It also seems that the game is a bit 'cheap' at times by sending unavoidable bullets or enemies from behind that diminish stock.

Weapon upgrade - was it just me or were the earlier weapons easier to score higher with? I think it was due to keeping your shot percentage high, the more powerful weapons send out more 'bullets', which in turn reduces your shot percentage? Personally I also preferred level 4 over level 5, perhaps some way of selecting the shot after achieving the upgrades would be good?

I know that all seems a bit negative, but overall I really did enjoy the game. The retro graphics were way cool (loved the lava rock on world 3). I understand the devs didn't want to just make a gradius or rtype clone, but maybe just taking a little more from yesteryear's shmups would make this a much better one.

12. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    In pretty much all the iTunes reviews, problems with the controls were noted. I bought the game anyways but a bit hesitantly. After playing with the game for a bit, I found that in many ways those reviews were right. Great game, but neither of the control options fit well. What I really want is something in between, like the 360 but only up-and-down movement, like a swipe control, with the same speed as the 360 as well...

13. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Game Impressions

I just downloaded this yesterday. It's great, but there's one big flaw with the controls. If your thumb comes within some large margin from the left side of the screen, the ship stops moving, and the "stick" recenters. The workaround is to reach in further to the right, which either blocks more of the screen (iPhone), or is extremely uncomfortable (iPad). Other than that issue, I think the responsiveness is just fine.

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The virtual pad control and 360 movement option are really quite poor, and were not in the game originally. I think OP just bent to the pressure from people who wanted their shmup to be like all the rest. The game is pretty awesome, and unique, in it's original, intended up/down movement only mode. Personally I think the addition of 360 mode was a big mistake. Everyone will go for that option, and since it was a hasty unplanned addition, it doesn't work well.

15. I have to say I agree with this!

16. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Any ETA on Heroes of Loot? Been following on facebook and it looks awesome.

17. You'll probably need to ask Orangepixel that for an accurate answer, but yes...it does look awesome! :)

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]