Which game: Monster Hunter or Modern Combat?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ashbyc, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ashbyc

ashbyc New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If you were only going to buy one game this month what would it be??

monster hunter or modern combat

Both are going to be awesome I know.

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Out of those two, Monster Hunter is infinitely better. Get that!

3. ashbyc

ashbyc New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was thinking the same only for replay and the fact that I can play offline!

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Well I guess that depends on whether you're a fan of multiplayer military shooters or Japanese action-adventure-RPGs.

Personally, I'd cast my vote for Monster Hunter every time.

5. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Monster hunter

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    MH... No contest.

7. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Moster Hunter for sure

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    These are two totally different genres so I would say it depends on which genre you prefer the most.
    First-Person-Shooter or hunting.
    I would go with MH.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Hands down: Monster Hunter.
    It's just excellence.

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    #10 VaroFN, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Monster Hunter.

It would be very funny if the OP gets MC5 instead with everyone saying MH here.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you are going by objective criteria, the decision for MH is easy. Gaming, however, is not an objective activity. There are many, many people who simply do not enjoy the grindy, non-narrative approach of MH. I can definitely see someone preferring a game like MC that provides a more linear experience and quick-fire highly-competitive multiplayer.

My advice for the OP is: ignore the hype. What kind of gaming do you enjoy? Decide accordingly.

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The thing is that MC5 is also grindy, almost non-narrative and less linear than previous games on the series, offering mission-based gameplay similar to Dead Trigger's. It's also VERY poorly balanced for a "competitive" multiplayer FPS game. Low level players can't do sh!t against high level ones thanks to the skill upgrades for the different classes and tiers for the weapons, with some attachments that don't have any downsides and that only serve as another way to further upgrade your character. All that without talking about the always-online nonsense and the awful framerate of the game on supported devices.

The OP made the question for a reason. I doubt he's just driven by the hype, since it doesn't make sense to think about getting a game of a genre you don't even like, so the answer should be objective, and as someone who played all Modern Combat games to date I just can't recommend MC4.2 to anyone.

But anyway I said that because it would be funny to make a thread asking people about which game he should buy and get the other one.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, the fact that he is pairing two completely unrelated games suggests that he's asking about games that are getting a lot of coverage on the TA forums. And I think it's important to be clear about what MH is actually like, since a lot of impulse or hype-driven buyers are likely to give up on it before finishing the 2 hour + tutorial -- compared to MC5, it takes a much larger time investment to really get something out of it.

I do agree, though, that it would be funny for the OP to ask the question then do the opposite. My point is that there are plenty of good reasons to choose MC5 over MH, based solely on style preference.

14. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Monster hunter hands down

15. NiceDude

NiceDude Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Get MC5 if you want something to enjoy fast, FPS, competitive multiplayer
    Get MH if you want a time sink, deep RPG, slower pace, challenge, cooperative multiplayer

It's up to you and your tastes. Can't compare the two, both are good

16. imjhonfre

imjhonfre Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    MC5 is a FPS, MHFU is a japanese adventure RPG

I´d go with MC5 just because I haven´t played a japanese RPG in years except for The world ends with you. Japanese RPGs stop being fun when you start growing up

17. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Don't have problems with the always online requirement or the MMS overdose and enjoy multiplayer FPS in general, pick MC5
    Enjoy a hunting game that is not so pretty looking but has a shit ton of depth, then pick up MHFU
    I'd pick MH just because I don't always have a stable Internet connection.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    MH is NOT an RPG.

And i strongly disagree your statement about JRPGs losing fun when you grow up, but i understand that that statement is an opinion.

19. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    JRPGs lose their fun when you grow up? That's subjective. And as Psience said, MH is definitely NOT a JRPG

20. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    What MC amounts to me is just walking around, seeing an enemy, frantically trying to aim to shoot him but getting killed in .5 seconds. Respawn and repeat.