iPad STREET FIGHTER IV Volt - [Capcom]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. slrc_91

slrc_91 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Student
    Cozumel, Mexico
    In my opinion online matches are too different than CPU matches. I already know good online players who can't defeat Grueling Akuma.

On the other hand it is good to play both CPU and online. With the CPU you can emulate some situations, like a training. And with online matches you will improve your skills.

It's all about practice, I think.

2. DROQQA

DROQQA Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    The low tier.
    Beating the grueling CPU mostly comes down to whether or not it decides to punish your 3 frame normal with ultra.

3. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner Docta. I never got it straightened out. I've deleted and re-installed about 3-4, doing it differently each time to see if something works. I haven't yet tried leaving the team though. I almost did a few days ago but after giving it some thought, I didn't see how that would make a difference. At this point, I'm just hoping that it fixes itself like it eventually did for Ken Ken (although I don't think he ever deleted the game) or wait for Capcom to fix the problem (wishful thinking). Or maybe someone in this thread finally figures it out.

4. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I've found the same thing and it's unfortunately affected me negatively. I find that after winning round 1, I often fool around a bit more than I should in round 2 and lose more than I should. And as everyone knows, anything can happen in a round 3. The lesson I need to learn is never let up, even if it leads to a few more rage quits.

5. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I don't feel that there's any particular skill level necessary to enjoy online play, but obviously the lower the skill level, the more you will lose and some people can not have fun if losing. Players have gotten pretty good online overall and it definitely takes a willingness to continue changing and improving your game in order to win over the long haul.

As far as how to improve, I don't think that arcade mode helps. In fact, in some ways it is detrimental since arcade mode plays in a manner that humans can't and/or don't, particularly on the harder levels. You will never see reaction times in humans like you do from grueling mode.

So basically, I think the only way to improve at online play is to play online. Friendlies are the best way to start but in the end, I think the better competition is in ranked matches, even if people take themselves too seriously there.

6. slrc_91

slrc_91 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Student
    Cozumel, Mexico
    #12426 slrc_91, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    I just finished a bunch of games. It was pretty fun, despite the huge lose of useless BPs. It's the first time in a while that I really enjoy the game in ranked matches :D

I hope there will be more series like I played today. It was a good day to play.

7. mooken

mooken Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Canada
    If you get a chance, you should try and watch 0-Felix-0"s Yun replays. There should be a bunch.
    As others have said, playing vs CPU and playing vs humans can be vastly different. The one useful element of playing vs CPU is practicing to punish missed moves (like a shoryuken that doesn't hit your Yun) with a good damaging combo. You'll find that the CPU doesn't always punish your own missed moves, but human players usually will, in a big way.
    You'll find that different players will have very different styles, even with the same characters -- highly defensive ryus vs highly offensive ryus.

I'm sure lots of the folks here would be willing to get in some friendlies with you and show you the ropes. Just don't get frustrated! We've all had to climb that online hill .. heck i'm still at the bottom!

8. mooken

mooken Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Canada
  9. Apprunner

Apprunner Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    You're definitely not on the bottom. You are mid like me :D

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #12430 Ayjona, Jan 25, 2012
    Lots of good advice! Damn yous, now I have both the will AND the way, and no choice but to acquire a regular iOS gaming habit, something I've long avoided ;)

I suppose I better start brushing up on the surprisingly deep technicalities and underlying mechanics and concepts of SFIV. I remember that halcyon, innocent time when I actually believed SFIV was one of the more simplistic fighting games, thanks to the low number of moves and combos...

(How's Dhalsim for a second choice of character for online play? Never preferred him before, but for some reason I found him much more appealing in SFIV. Yun, as I've been given to understand, is very problematic in online play on iOS, whereas he was (at least until the recent patch) overpowered on the PC/PS3.)

Yes, that is almost always the case, that human opponents are the only viable option for practice. But in a game like SFIV Volt, where the skill levels are so vastly divided, and where lag can dilute the training gained, sometimes practicing against the CPU can be better than actually going online, for what little good it does ;) But hopefully I'm not THAT bad, and can start dong friendlies for practice right away, as per yer advice.

I can have fun losing (otherwise I would have rarely played online, as I'm usually on the broken and beaten end ;) ), luckily. In a game like this, though, it is possible to be pounded so thoroughly that neither fun nor training is had, in spite of being a jovial loser, as the losing player barely has time to move before the the long good night comes a-callin'. Learning experience it still is, though, and while I am a newbie (or perhaps a forgetful oldie) in terms of SF IV's specific mechanics and deep underlying technical principles, I do have reasonably good reflexes, precision and reaction time in fighting games, perhaps (cliché or not) thanks to many years of real-life fighting, and a preference for reflex- and precision-based combat engines in games.

And practice I will! ;) But yes, I was thinking that might be the case, that even some of the really skilled online players find the CPU more than a match. I've played some action games where I might regularly defeat a pal of mine, but where he can best CPU opponents that leave me a nerve-wracked heap of a man ;)

11. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    For what it's worth, I main Dhalsim and think he can be a very fun character to play. But he was nerfed badly in the last update. That said, he's still better than Yun IMHO. Yun has very little stamina and is a bit too complicated for the touch screen controls, even with SP assist. It really comes down to who you have a feel for. One way of deciding is to spend a week playing friendlies with random selection for your character.

You do make a good point. While training mode is theoretically better for training than the CPU (IMO), it's not as much fun and risks losing interest. Playing arcade on a level other than grueling can be both fun and beneficial as it allows you to work on timing, combos, etc.

It sounds like you have a good start and should pick it up (or remember it) very quickly. As someone else recommended, definitely start adding some TA players on GC. You won't get better practice and you'll actually get some feedback from your opponents afterward.

Good luck!

12. YoungDr3amer

YoungDr3amer Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Student/Bank Intern
    Toronto, Canada
    King of the Hill Tournament

The tournament between Touch Arcade & Accent Core has begun!

Just a little heads up :)

13. iVoloster

iVoloster Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Insurance
    NY
    #12433 iVoloster, Jan 25, 2012

WHAT!!?? I didn't know we were starting a tourney when did the sign ups happen?

14. mooken

mooken Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Canada
    Did you play any of the previous SF versions, prior to SFIV? Most of the gameplay elements are still applicable -- spacing, wake-up games, cross-ups.

I've started using Yun a bit more, after getting thoroughly schooled by 0-Felix-0. Yun's actually quite playable online, especially with the cross-up dive-kicks and an anti-air with a good number of invincibility frames. He was awful in 1.02, but as of 1.03 he's fine. Works as a good wake-up mix-up artist and with an aggressive pressure game. Snooper can also provide some tips.
    As for Dhalsim, you can look to Jibba and KenKen for guidance. Great for zoning, but his jump is very slow. You'll need a lot of patience to play him, and you're playing a mostly keepaway game. His worst problem is dealing with close-in pressure, I think.

I've found that sitting right next to the wireless router is a bit important. Next to the router, I experience no lag. About 15 meters away, I'm lagging like it's 1991 on a 2400 baud.

15. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Who's on top currently? I was going to shoot you a challenge last night but I'm trying not to force games as much as I used to as I think it hurts my play. The game is really so addicting and I find myself playing after a couple drinks or when I'm tired and the results are less than my norm. If I'm going to lose, I'd rather it not be ugly. :D

16. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Wow, there are 7 spots open on team Touch Arcade. If you haven't bothered joining yet, now's the time!

17. fffan7777

fffan7777 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Great idea! I was thinking about implementing a few rules so it's more balanced somehow? The main one is limiting wins as a king of the hill (maybe to 25; 50 too much?). It's still a lot of wins, but it gives the chance of the other team to have a king for once.

I'll be making a google docs soon with a time table of who's king and how many wins they have. It will be open for edit so you guys do what you like.

The king should post his time of availability on there too so people don't keep sending invites wondering if they want a shot at the king.

I'm glad that there won't be a need to open up a whole new thread and have to monitor it constantly for updates.

Did I miss something? Who's Mr.Rodick... Andy Roddick?? :D

As for staying on the ground when fighting against Bison, I find it easier facing Dhalsims that do that. The ones that give me the most trouble are the ones that constantly jump back and once they reach the edge of the screen, they wait for an opportunity to tele to the opposite side and keep jumping away. They add in random teleports to get in and damage, it gets very frustrating after a while. That's all I can say.

Maybe I don't watch enough streams of SF4 but this is the first time I see Cammy with Bison's outfit. Those huge leg armors don't really look too good on her IMO.

The main part of the game is knowing the matchups. If you really have no idea what to do, try fighting against the CPU on Hard Difficulty (3 stars on free sparring/training). If you fight on Grueling, just take the fights with a little grain of salt. They tend to punish you with godlike reactions. At least you'll know what doesn't work in some situations. You'll see what each characters tends to stick to as their bread and butter. Although playing the CPU is a good idea, keep in mind that when you play online, everyone will have their own set of strategies so don't get too accustomed to the CPU's strategies.

Being on the offense is only half of the game, so learn to block and not take massive damage. See which moves are safer than others or opportunities when you can punish the opponent for their mistakes.

I see that you want to have Dhalsim as your second main. He plays very different from most characters where he has to stay away. See what you like about each character and try to benefit off of them.

The best way to get good is to learn from your mistakes. In the beginning I used to save every replay that I lost online. Then, I would analyze what could have been done in each situation. Once you hypothesize what might work, go online and if you are ever caught in that specific situation, try your technique out and see if it works. It's all about trial and error and finding what works best for you. Once you have a good understanding of what you can do, then you'll want to start playing mind games with the opponent with mixups and such. Time, practice, and learning from your losses will be enough to get you to be a beast.

18. fffan7777

Jul 1, 2011
    Here's the link for the google docs (also in my signature):
    http://tinyurl.com/SF4Volt-TAvTAAC-KotH

It's still a work in progress, but I would just like you guys to know that it's somewhat complete and start using it. I'll be making the stats section sometime later today.

19. YoungDr3amer

YoungDr3amer Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Student/Bank Intern
    Toronto, Canada
    Will there be an overview of all (participating) players' availability?

My availability tends to fluctuate given my work & school schedule:

All times are Eastern Standard Time (US & Canada):

Monday: 7 to 10 pm
    Tuesday: 8 to 10 pm
    Wednesday: 8 to 10 pm
    Thursday: Not available
    Friday: Not available
    Saturday: Most of the daytime
    Sunday: Most of the daytime

Edit: Just noticed the post above mine :)
    Great job!

20. fffan7777

Jul 1, 2011
    Ooh, very detailed schedule. I'll be changing that section on the doc.

Feel free to add some rules and I'll format it later.