Universal SolForge - (by Stone Blade Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Don't forget the post-Kickstarter target smash that sealed the deal for raid style co-op play, that should shake things up a lot.

2. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Yeah. Long story short is that these guys have a crazy great track record in terms of game design, and they're avid gamers themselves. Don't write them off just because they're trying to do something new with a model traditionally associated with cash-grabbing. I'm very confident that SolForge will be quite different from most of the digital TCGs we've seen so far.

3. I've been playing this and I'm aware it's just a preview and not balanced so not too worried about that stuff as they flesh it out. However, definitely would like to see a text log like Spectromancer has. Also curious if when you customize you deck if you can limit your cards so as to make those level 2 cards come out quicker.

4. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Decks are fixed sizes for exactly that reason. Every deck is 30 cards with a maximum of three of any particular card in it. Things may change as the game moves into beta (this is really just a demo so people can see the mechanics hands-on) but I can't imagine they'll allow people to "level up" faster.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, I think the game would become unbalanced too fast if you could choose how many you use. They're specifically trying to keep the game simple to allow newcomers and also to make it ideal for playing on mobile devices. They already lowered the number of cards from 40 to get the higher level cards out faster, but it's probably a good idea if both players are playing with the same number.

Unless of course you mean changing the number of cards that -both- players use. That could be an interesting option.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Had a few go's at this game. Not sure how sold on it I am. I know it's just a beta type release but its more the mechanics I'm looking at. Really it's just a lane based card game.
    What I'm not sure about and would perhaps like to see, is that it seems as though basically both players level up at exactly the same rate and so have the next level of cards introduced into their deck at the same time. I think when this happens, you have the possibility to draw the next level of every card you have? What I think would be more interesting would be say the opportunity to draw the next level of only the cards you've played so far? Thus you're putting in the hard yards in the beginning in order to reap the benefits of that card later. And/or some sort of levelling bar that IS NOT automatic like it is now. Maybe more based on damage dealt so far, with some degree of automated level as well.
    Without these kinds of twists it just seems like both players continue on their way together.

I'm still looking forward to it though, and I think the full release will really make this interesting. Don't get me wrong, ill be first inline to get this when the full version is out.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wiat, so all cards are leveled up once the player reaches the end of the deck? I thought the game made a big point of only upgrading the cards played thus the point of taking a risk with some initially pretty weak cards so as to bring on their more evolved forms (like the useless Dragon Egg).

8. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Only the cards that have been played (or leveled through other mechanics, like the Technosmith) level up with the player level. All the player level indicates is how many times your discard has been shuffled back into your deck, which represents an increased chance to draw higher leveled cards, and more of them.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ok cool thanks for clearing that up for me guys. I just wasn't certain if that was already happening or not.
    Do the cards get like any indicator on them to say you've played them already (before you get to the next level). May be useful to have an indicator, because I reckon in asynchronous multiplayer, with many games going, you'll forget if you've played some or not.
    Also, so both players still do basically level at the same rate? Every game I've played, if say I go first then I will level up first and then sure enough my opponent will level up the turn after mine.

10. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Individual copies of cards level up independent of each other. If you have three magma hounds in your deck and play only one of them, you can still draw either of the two level one versions after you have leveled up. If you play all three before leveling then you will only see level 2 versions. There's currently no play history feature, but it may well be added once the game goes into beta since I believe it's a pretty popular feature request. And yes, both players level at a fixed rate. As said before, it just indicates that your discard pile has been shuffled back into your deck and happens after a set number of turns.

11. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
  12. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
  13. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Only heard bad things about this from my Magic friends. I'll be avoiding.

14. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Sol Forge update hit last night, has some nice options now!
    In addition to the two demo decks offered previously, there is now one starting deck for each faction that can be purchased for 4.99 each.
    If you were a KS supporter above a certain level, you should have received an email asking you to choose which starting deck(s) you want for free. I chose Tempys and Uterra and purchased the other two ;)

15. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

It's a good game, but I can't help but compare it to Magic 2013, where you get a whole lot more bang for your buck... More decks, some deck building, single player campaign, multiplayer...

I think for now I'll just wait and see how the multiplayer turns out when they're done.

16. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I enjoy the game and concept. Be interesting to see how it pans out. The cost does feel a bit high right now.

17. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Most of these online only TCG fizzle within a year. Look at Cabals and Shadow Era. The updates either stopped, or slowed down dramatically. If you want to maintain a strong playerbase, you need frequent card expansions.

18. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I have a feeling that this one will happen to break thru the barrier and succeed. The Kickstarter was very popular so there should be a robust community out of the gate. That and possible spillover from Ascension players.
    MTG is still the giant of TCGs (I also love M13) but I have my fingers crossed on this.

19. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Personally I lime Magic 2013 and Ascension exactly because it's self-contained. There's no need to purchase packs of random cards, or keep getting the latest set to stay competitive.

I've spent way too much money on M:tG in the past...

20. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    This game seems to be too expensive for my taste. :(