Developers who won't make a second app. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by willzeng, Jan 24, 2013.

1. The app has been in the store for a year and I didn't got the $100 annual fee back.

Is it really sucks? (Now it's free, anyone wanna to have a look.)
    Or, the real market is the real market?
    Anyone with me?

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Is that your first game ever? Anyway, it does look like it (no offence here). May be you did put your hopes to high. You should take it for what it is: a learning process. Game development isn't so straightforward. You need to learn, and you learn with experience. You should forget this app and start your second one and little by little you'll become better at what you do. It isn't any different than any other job really.

JC

3. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I gave it a go I will leave a good review in the AppStore to

The game is actually good I like the ideas of it, the problem is it does not look like a good game.

People buy games from the screens shots on the app store, your screen shot make people think its just one of those really bad games knocked up in a day.

If you improve the grafics it may well do better, sadly though I carnt be sure.

Most developers first game will do badly in fact your first 10 games my do badly. But if you can do it part time for a while you may end up earning money out of it.

4. It's a learning process. But I think the market has its own problems. (Either zero or one million is not a good thinking.) No need to do a second app if the problems are not clear.

Another strange thing is the average 4.5 star rating (out of a few dozen ratings). I guess app quality never plays a major role.

5. Thanks for the advice. I know the graphics are not good, but it's just a test. A test of "what if I make better apps?" (You know what I mean. I didn't expect the first app bring in mony, but data.) Even the downloads can be ten times more by improving graphics, is there a difference? The missing link is still there to be found.

6. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

Had a quick look

I took a look.

It's a simple polished game. It may open up and become more complex over time.

Your pricing looked a bit strange. It was $2 and it includes in app purchase to accelerate progress. You are about to find out how it goes as a free app. You might make more money just from the coin sales.

Look up a game design video about juice. It's a very good example of how to add visual interest to a game. A game can never have too much juice :).

As to whether you should write another app. That's hard. I find myself in a very similar situation. One app in the store, almost completly ignored. I have been trying to work on a second game but just can't get motivated. In the end you are the only one who can decide.

Matthew

7. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    That's actually not true. There is a lot of Apps that performs without being hits. Your games does't look good enough on screenshots, that's why nobody will care. Now mind you that even with high quality games it is hard to make money.

JC

8. Dragonhead

Dragonhead Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Lead Programmer
    Norway
    The gameplay itself is actually pretty good, I enjoyed playing it. As others mention, it has clean and stylish graphics, but it doesn't make it really stand out on screenshots.

If you are motivated to create more games, you could try creating simple original games, e.g. for free with ads so that you can get a lot of downloads, then if you notice one of them take off, create a more polished/juiced up update or sequel to it.

The reason I mention that is that some game ideas just won't sell for whatever reason (without being super polished), so spending too much time adding extra stuff to it might not help it sell any more than a simpler version would. But a simpler version have to look good enough of course.

9. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    as others have mentioned; the thing stopping you here is your artwork.

pricing is another issue; you would be better being free and have user buy coins - or offer two variants.. pricing/strategies are cut and miss.. never know how it can go.. you need a tonne of free downloads to get exposure of any form.

i suggest you update your graphics, hire an artist to help you.. www.elance.com is a good place to ask for a bid; you can get anything from $100 to $lots to get stuff done.. let people bid.. this looks like a simple job.. but you just need to do it right for it to be appealing. lots of competition.

10. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    Personally I don't think it's a good idea to try and make customers guess as to your potential. If you're just seeing how people respond to your app you'd be better off making the best app you can possibly make (graphics included). First impressions last. As a follow up to this I would like to know what kind of marketing you did for your app. Did you do the rounds on the forums? Did you peddle it to all the game review sites? Did you contact YouTube reviewers? Marketing is nearly half of the work in making a good app.

Still, I'm sure that you can use all you've learnt thus far to make a much better second app. It's hard work to get the results that you want, but when you do it's so much more satisfying! :)

11. Freespirit

Freespirit Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I think it's a good first app and I would start your next app. I think you will be surprised at how your games improve. It's a business that you need to grow and learn over time. Get as much feedback as you can early on to make sure people like what you are doing and can help improve it. It's not easy to get the attention of a reviewer to help spread the word. With 500 apps a day being released their inbox must be constantly full. I treat it as an amazing creative experience and if my app takes off its a bonus.

12. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

Great advice everyone.

I'm all for prototyping game ideas, but the app store isn't where they should be tested.

Matthew

13. I'm not going to make mony by coin sales. The IAP's there only to satisfy possible impatients.

14. Artwork is a problem, but not the key one.

15. Simengie

Simengie Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    iTunes says the App is not available in the US. That is a big market to exclude. Any reason that it is not available in the US?

You are also competing against the Bejeweled line of apps. That is tough line of apps to compete with.

The problem with Match # games is people don't like to feel rushed and your mechanic adds a rushed feel to the game.

Art assets may not be your biggest issue with the game but Art never hurts. Remember the rules to getting downloads.

1. Title needs to peak my interest.
    2. Icon says love me, look at me, CLICK ME!!!!. Very important rule.
    3. Screen shots 1 and 2 says BUY ME! You must have me!
    4. Game is actually good to promote word of mouth and good reviews.

If you have 1-3 then then nice downloads you will have. If you have 1-4 then hit you will have.