Who Should use Unreal Engine 3 first for the ios.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by leslie2233, Dec 29, 2010.

?

Who should use Unreal Engine 3 first

Poll closed Jan 29, 2011.
  1. Gameloft

51.7%
  2. EA

31.0%
  3. Other

24.1%
  1. leslie2233

leslie2233 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    #1 leslie2233, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    Who do you think should use unreal engine for the ios first Gameloft or EA or someone else? P.S. if you can name the game company & the game you think would be good with unreal engine 3. It would be better if you don't mention about how much money the company would make or how much they would lose. Epic already said one of the big gaming company's for ios are talking about using unreal engine.

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Whoever made Enviro-Bear.

3. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    People who want only 45% of sales.
    100%
    - 30% for apple
    -25% for Epic Games
    = a great tool that won't be used. :(

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    That's exactly it. Epic is demanding back-end profits. A royalty fee, essentially, to use their engine.

Neither Gameloft or EA will ever use this engine. Few developers outside of Epic themselves will ever use the Unreal Engine 3. The price is simply too steep. Anyone who is expecting some sort of UE3 revolution on the Appstore as a result of Infinity's Blade's success is going to be sorely dissappointed. It's not going to happen.

5. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    Hit the nail on the head.

Would love to use it for Synth Racing 2, but we'll just stick with Unity instead. :D

6. leslie2233

Dec 12, 2010
    Apart from making money who do you think would use it.

7. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
  8. Nobody is going to use tools that cost money if they don't expect to make money from their product.

9. swishinj

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Yes, but that was a few years ago. We don't know if that lisence is still affect or even appliable for the iPhone development.

10. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Mobigames or donutgames.

11. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Funny enough, it doesn't cost money if you don't make money (unless you count the $99).

@swishinj: You can pay a "small" additional fee to add another platform (my guess is low six figures).

12. swishinj

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Ya your right but I doubt any big time publishers like gl and ea will want to change the way they develop their apps

13. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    At this point any game that runs the unreal engine is insta buy for me and I know a lot of people who feels the same way. For a dev 45% of a respectable amount of sales will rake more profits than 70% of a game that gets lost in the mountain of IOS apps. Any game with unreal engine will surely be noticed over tens of thousands apps right now and therefore amount to more sales.

14. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
  15. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    It has been a while since I have seen a post as stupid as this.

16. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Proof for that? Speculation on unknown contracts is fruitless; the whole verizon iPhone shenanigans only proce so. Oh, all the money you pour into making a quality game doesn't count for anything? You know, the best engine in the world won't make a bad game any better.

17. leslie2233

Dec 12, 2010
    whats the difference from freemium games and free games

18. paulm12

paulm12 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    school
    ummm Cali
    I agree with swishinj, big name developers like Gameloft have their own engines, and many of these developers don't seem happy to share their profits or fame with a 3rd party engine (or whatever its called if its not developed in-house). Then again, both E.A. and UBISOFT (A sister company of Gameloft) have used UE3 pretty heavily. SquareEnix and many others have as well. It'll be interesting to see what these developers do.

'Free' games are straight up free games. Stuff like WaterSlide extreme. They usually have little to no DLC (Downloadable Content), and the DLC they do have (if they have it) either has little game effect (ILLUSIA, for example with its way of purchasing items usually unlock able by plainly playing the game with minimal effort. Its mainly for those who are lazy, or those who suck). Furthermore, IAP (In App Purchases) are usually for removing ads in most cases. Finally, free games are less ridiculed.

'Freemium' games, on the other hand, includes games with reoccurring purchases (hence the name; you can play for free or pay for premium). Farmville, eliminate, those types, or games that have a majority of content locked that is very difficult/impossible to unlock without paying for it (in other words, you have to be pretty beast to get the stuff if its even available). One good way of telling a 'freemium game' from a 'free game' is in the IAP list. Freemium games will usually have different bundles of 'points' or 'currency' used in game to simulate in-game credits bought by real money. If a game has 2 currencies you can buy, that 99% of the time you can guarantee its freemium. (one is for ones you can earn in game, the other is either not available to earn in game or needs to be exchanged for a very high cost in order to achieve he 'special' currency)

Many tend to like free games better as you can actually play the game without feeling like you getting 1/2 of the experience if you don't pay anything, however there really is a very fine line between the two (i.e. how much of a game can be DLC before it is freemium?), or (is every game with currency freemium?). This is because the word freemium is an abstract term created by gamers to differentiate between the two (as far as I'm aware). As mentioned earlier, freemium games are constantly bagged on for the reoccurring purchases, using "free money to get fake stuff; WTF" (many angry gamers). Because of this ridicule, many devs do not like to admit that their games are freemium.

To be honest, though, I tend to think a game with unlockable chapters (Rolando 2 comes to mind) is not freemuim as long as a paid version with everything is released. As you can see, however, the definition of 'freemium' is open to ones interpretation. To sum it all up, freemium games include purchases crucial to getting the entire game experience, while free games are straight up and have no 'strings' attached. (<<- insert dumb but clever pun here, replacing sentence/augmenting to it) (I like writing in parenthesis)

19. leslie2233

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks for explaining form e man. i been seeing these two different names & i couldn't tell the difference.

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    That limit is $5000, which I suspect is well below what any dev expects to make even on indie projects.