Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Hey bytebrain :) though it is a great idea, something like that would takeaway considerable time to implement and Im not sure if we will be able to do that or not. I will open it for discussion in the company, but I can't promise you anything. As you said, it's not really the norm in these types of games and since it is a mobile type of platform, these type of feature usually get left on the shelf due to cost and time vs brevity of production to ensure we actually make some money in order to live.

We are getting a number of requests and dumping them all on the one coder we have is a little unfair. So we will compile what's been requested and discuss what may or may not be allowable in the time we have for updates, etc.

Glad you and your kids are enjoying it though! :) and way to go on getting #2 on gravity wave, that mode is definitely the hardest of them all I find.

2. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    That's awesome of you to say! Though this sale is to help us rise back up in the store rankings because at the 3 dollar price point we weren't moving enough units to remain in the major public eye. People either don't trust us, don't know about Polara or only have a dollar to spare, so we need to bolster the life of this app again so please, by all means tell others to get it now if you can to help us remain in the public eye. Sure we lose a couple bucks per sale but in the end the longevity of being in the top of the charts will balance the profit 'loss'.

As I stated before, we're very small and very independent. This game was made with our own money, time and passion and we can't afford to ostracize the public with a premium price at this point. No reputation means people will not bother.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This worth my buck??

4. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    300+ posts half of them filled with praise, rest just talking about the game isn't recommendation enough? :confused:

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I just needed you, Urthop, to tell me that it was indeed worth my 99 well-earned pennies. I thank you, my friend. :D

:p

6. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Have you given it a try yet Ninjackid? Was the dollar worth it? :)

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Love it game but it is difficult to play on an iphone 5 because your hit boxes are moved so far in. Hopefully an update is coming soon.

Edit: Just read post on previous page. Thanks.

8. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    It's actually in Apple's hands right now and will be deploying as soon as they ok it! :D

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    That was fast! :D

Seriously, I hope this game does well for you because I'd love to see more from you guys. it is that good. Good luck.

10. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Thanks Cygnet, it's an uphill battle for sure... a lot of frugal tastes, prejudice, and massive gobs of competition make it definitely tough to be recognized. But we appreciate all the compliments we've received so far. It's make or break time my friends! :)

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im also hoping that Polara sells well that it could fund your next project as well. Looking foward to what you guys could pull off in the next projects.

12. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Thanks, that's the goal for sure... I would love to be able to open up a proper studio and actually make full fledge console titles, but that's a major pipe dream... right now, just making a salary is the goal ;)

13. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    I think anyone who has played Polara hope you guys make a success of this game and can't wait to see what is in store from you in the future.
    Reviews are very positive and given the sheer amount of content for the full price this is a steal, but I appreciate you need a track record to be able to command a price over $1 in the AppStore!
    One small point, are you able to make the HTW games logo retina as it is really noticeable when loading the game?
    Good luck with the sale and hope to see lots of new buyers on the leaderboards.

14. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    I'm workin on the retina update to the gfx, but there's only so much I can get done in a day haha but that will have to be addressed as well and will be.

15. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Just decided to drop by and say what a fantastic game this is! An insane amount of content, extremely creative with new gameplay additions in every levels, rarely do I find a game so imaginative. I do hope it sells well as it deserves it, obviously a lot of attention and thought went into each level.

16. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    GiHubb, thanks for the positive words my friend :) Again, the trust level surrounding our game is very awkward... people think it's an evil money grabbing IAP ridden boring endless runner... Sad and unfortunate, but we'll get there with help from people like you. If you help spread the word it would be priceless.

Cheers for all the kindness!

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I still think you guys should add that there is NO IAP in the game to the FRONT of the description.

18. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    #338 HTWGames, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    K put it in there with the Halloween sale message. What else should I do, run naked screaming through the streets?!? hahahaha ;)

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If you run waving a big Polara flag and throwing out business cards with QR codes leading to the App Store page, that might be odd enough to get you on the local news and get some broad coverage! :p

20. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    No kidding I thought about getting a costume made and hiring a model and have her hand out QR codes in Toronto Union Station during rush hour hahaha But you can only give so many codes away and have to update... I hate that Apple limits you to how much YOU can hand out your product.