What next?? A little help please.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Crafter, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Crafter

Crafter New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    So over the past few months since Christmas when I got my MacBook pro, I got Xcode and started feminising myself with the objective-c language by following tutorials like "thenewboston" and other people. Now I'm trying to make a 2d and adventualy do maybe 3d games but I have no idea on how to start this because I don't want to use something like unity that is just staraight forward. I would like to learn as I go so i someone can reply with some links or helpful advice on where to go and also I know about already done engines like cocoa2D.

Thanks

2. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Cocos2d is what i use, and box 2d!i recommend you to use them!it will help the development proccess a lot!

3. w162

w162 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Yes. Cocos2d is definitely worthy to checkout. If you want to make 3D games, you may also take a look at Unity 3D as well. There are some very good tutorial in unity3d's website, including an example of 2D platform game.

4. Crafter

Crafter New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I would use unity but I would like to stick to Xcode and I will try cocos2D

5. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    If you prefer not to use an engine like cocos2d and do things a bit more manual (not really that difficult, as i'm going this route) I would check out this book:http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321699424 from 71Squared

It utilizes OpenGL ES, talks about OpenAL for audio, bitmap fonts, etc. They also have a finished application in the AppStore with full source code on what the finished product will be. (Search for "SLQTSOR" on the AppStore)