Sad Robot - By Colorbox (Coming 3 Nov!!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by antony.thai, Oct 4, 2011.

1. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

#1 antony.thai, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    Released, out in NZ

Update Oct 13, 2011
    --------------------

We have few other character designs, do you like it?

[​IMG]

Update Oct 12, 2011
    --------------------

UI design of in-game menu, where we can access all other features of the game include Shop (Power-up, Character, Item), Quest and Trophy system, Profile system which you can track all your in game stats).

[​IMG]

--------------------
    Update Oct 10, 2011
    --------------------

This is how the control looks like, I'm sorry because the quality of the video is not so good...

Update Oct 9, 2011
    --------------------

We finally decided the gameplay and control like below:

- The Robot needs to go through many galaxies to find love and his lost world. This is a very fast paced game which will provide everyone ton of hours gaming fun.

- During the adventure, he will find so many interesting things likes:

> Obstacle: They're dangerous, their form is so vary (we put a lot of design effort in that).

> Coins: Yeah, collecting coins to buy stuffs, we're designing a deep shop, collection items and power-ups, so many things for you to purchase, I will give more detail later.

> Control: Tilt to dodge all the obstacles and also collect coins and power-ups. We promise the best "tilt" experience you ever see in other iOS game.

--------------------
    I'm very happy to announce Sad Robot, a new mobile game creation from Colorbox game division, VNGS.

Story: A forgotten robot, stay alone in Earth with his steely skin is covered
    by centuries of dust. Then he decides to make a journeys to find love by going thorough many galaxies... Quite sad story but amazing gameplay with retro looks and so much more to come in the initial update.

PS: This will be coming out as a Universal app as well.

Here are some fake screen on character and world design, we are hoping to receive more of your feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. antony.thai

We will be giving promote codes of the game for TA-ers that help us with useful feedback on the thread.

Bests,
    Antony

3. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Cannot see how the game is played? Jump? Shoot?

4. Sybo-Sly

Sybo-Sly Active Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Game Developer
    Denmark
    I also wonder how the gameplay and controls are working here. Quite charming style :)

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I think a video would explain how this works, but sure looks promising....

6. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I'm intrigued. The graphic style is nice but doesn't explain the gameplay.

7. antony.thai

We're working to refine the gameplay mechanic for now, I will keep posting our working progress to everyone here, hope you like it and also do some feedbacks about it as well.

8. antony.thai

Do you love the characters?

PS: Actually, I'm in a bit trouble here as we're running pretty slow on art progress, this makes the beta delays quite a bit. :( :(

9. V!3T

V!3T Active Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Canada
    Feedback

Hey,

I think that the graphics looks really nice!
    The retro look fits!
    I like the gradient for the colours of the robots.

The robot/character doesn't look much like a robot. Robots are usually more square-ish? Or maybe try and change his eyes. It looks too human..

I don't know about the ameplay but I think the first one we have to match our character with the robot that is identical? Maybe this could be some kind of minigame?
    The second picture, it looks more like a shooter? Where we dodge or shoot down asteroids *maybe other robots?
    I don't know. Please, when something has been figured out, update us about it so we can have our thoughts shared.

Or maybe you can turn this game into a 2D game like Metrod?! 8) Haha I'm dreaming...

Anyways this game looks fun to me :)

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'm really liking what I see so far, especially the character and art style shown. Definitely keeping my eye on this; will be glad to give more impressions as you progress and update the thread. Here's hoping for some great gameplay! :)

11. antony.thai

Thank you a lot V!3T, we're discussing about the eyes of the Robot here actually.

We're all shocking here in our studio with the sad news from Apple today, so that's why I'm yet finishing the video of the game actually.

However, we have the gameplay screen for now, we're trying to keep everything plain and simple, so that's why we don't want to do more complicate things into the game but more about the fun feeling while playing it. Will keep you guys more update on our daily work, from now, to the submission release.

[​IMG]

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Looks awesome Antony! Can't wait! Another instabuy.

13. V!3T

V!3T Active Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Canada
    No problem! :)
    Yes. We do understand the delay.
    We were all affected in some ways!

The gameplay looks awesome :) I can't wait for a video!

Anyways wish you guys success with Sad Robot!

14. antony.thai

Thank you everyone, you encourage me a lot by this.

I will be posting more interesting info by the end of today.

Cheers,
    Antony

15. antony.thai

Update Oct 10, 2011
    --------------------

We finally decided the gameplay and control like below:

- The Robot needs to go through many galaxies to find love and his lost world. This is a very fast paced game which will provide everyone ton of hours gaming fun.

- During the adventure, he will find so many interesting things likes:

> Obstacle: They're dangerous, their form is so vary (we put a lot of design effort in that).

> Coins: Yeah, collecting coins to buy stuffs, we're designing a deep shop, collection items and power-ups, so many things for you to purchase, I will give more detail later.

> Control: Tilt to dodge all the obstacles and also collect coins and power-ups. We promise the best "tilt" experience you ever see in other iOS game.

16. antony.thai

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Looking at that I'm kinda worried that the view is too close to the character.

That bar on the top - is that for an ad banner?

18. antony.thai

Yes, we will be checking that more, thank a lot for your advice Echoseven, however, it's not a ad banner, we hate ad model, we're gamers, no gamers love ad. :|

19. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    #1 problem: NO TOUCH CONTROLS!!! :eek:

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Interesting video, will keep an eye on this one...