When did "rogue-like" become so hip?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tea, May 16, 2014.

1. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #21 tea, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    All I meant here is, I don't really want a game to give me permadeath as an option (like, "something that can be turned on or off") because I think it's a critical design choice that should heavily influence other design choices.

In fact, "permadeath option" is an oxymoron.

As to random vs. procedural generators... most procedural generators use random factors (and few random generators can be said to be "just random").
    I guess you're, highlighting the fact that re-hashing the same rooms over and over gets boring faster than having procedurally generated rooms?

2. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Only get SoF is you don't mind playing a game that is outdated and looks fuzzy. The dev abandoned that game long ago to make the sequel... which was supposed to come out years(?) ago.

100 Rouges is fun, but a bit buggy.

Wayward Souls is probably your best choice.

3. Tunnelrunner

Tunnelrunner New Member

May 18, 2014
    #23 Tunnelrunner, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Coming in late

This is a great thread.

Some other favorite roguelikes (not necessarily just on iOS, btw. I apologize if these had been mentioned earlier and I missed it):

HACK, SLASH, LOOT (for Android, Steam for Mac/PC)
    BROGUE (for Mac and PC)
    DUNGEON CRAWL STONE SOUP (for Mac, PC, Android)
    TALES OF MAJ'EYAL (ToME4) (Steam for Mac/PC)
    NETHACK (iOS, Android, Mac, PC)
    DUNGEONS OF DREDMORE (Steam for PC and Mac)
    *BIT DUNGEON (iOS, Android)
    PIXEL DUNGEON (Android)
    *DUNGEON BREAK (Android)
    LEGENDS OF YORE (Android)

I *love* HEROES OF LOOT (iOS, Android) but I think it's closer to GAUNTLET than to a "true" roguelike, per se. The big differentiator is it being real-time (not being turn based) but as someone mentioned earlier, the true definition of a roguelike is in itself, a huge debate. It's a kick-a** spiritual descendent of GAUNTLET, but in my humble opinion, not a true roguelike. And by that definition, I should preface that both *DUNGEON BREAK and *BIT DUNGEON (what I mentioned above) are also more "roguelike-like" than they are true "roguelike."

I do agree with those who say that permadeath is a must. I hate seeing a save feature on games like LEGEND OF YORE (which is already a bit on the easy side).

YMMV,
    Brent