Universal A Dark Room (by Amirali Rajan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 22, 2013.

1. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    V1.6 just hit the App Store

Version 1.6 of A Dark Room just hit the App Store. If you've beaten the game, you should definitely update. If you're still playing through the game... you should still definitely update. :D

2. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Fantastic game Amir, burned through it in 2 days and absolutely loved it outside of a few frustrations. Don't want to say anymore and spoil anything for other players. Congratulations on your success, love that such a unique and cerebral game is getting the love it deserves as the App Store can be brutal.

3. Dueler

Dueler Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Really do love the game. It brings back early memories of Zork. I can see why it gets 1 Star reviews, saying you'll either love it or hate it is a sad copout. The truth is some people don't pay attention to what they are playing, and it is those people this game is lost on. They don't see or feel the adventure, they just see text and nothing else. It is truly a shame for those people.

On the other side, boy is this game intense. Jumping in not knowing anything about it I was a little perplexed, It seemed like mountains of time went by before anything actually happened. But before I knew it the game expanded upon itself countless times and just when I thought I had it figured out a new surprise came my way and changed things up.

I very much doubt anyone giving 1 star reviews could tell you anything about the game past the first 5 minutes. I find it weird that they didn't bond with the village and continue but heh, not everyone cares or has the time to enjoy something so a loss for them.

So developer I'm sure this is probably nothing new but I hope you continue taking chances like this. The industry needs it.

4. amirrajan

amirrajan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Software Developer
    Dallas, Tx
    Thank you Mj1ggy and Dueler for the kind words :) I'm glad you found the game a deep, emotional experience.

PS:
    Headshot ;-)

5. JHsWife

JHsWife New Member

May 26, 2014
    Population to Slaves?

I'd like to know how to avoid keeping my villagers as Slaves. I'm not so sure why they're Slaves now. How would I be able to turn them back to my villagers?

6. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I stumbled upon A Dark Room on the web (it's brilliant, and fantastic!); is there any possible way to move a saved game over to the iOS version, or no such luck? Thanks.

7. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    So, just tell me this, does it get better from where I am now? My village is larger and I just got to the part with the directional buttons. I'm intrigued, but the slow pace is starting to get to me some.

8. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I deleted this game and am glad I didn't waste any more time on it. I spent 2+ hours "playing". I then went to Youtube to see the ending. Personally, I would have been incredibly disappointed by the ending. To each their own, though.

9. relocodelcoco2

Jun 7, 2014
    you recommend it? i am very curious about these

10. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    This game is now free.

11. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Great game. I just wish the text would be a bit bigger on an iPad and that the reset game button wasn't in the middle of the screen.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just finished it! WHAT A BRILLIANT GEM. So simple, yet soooo addicting and affecting. Wow. I want more of this kind! Seriously. Pretty blown away by how effective A Dark Room is!

13. MrZ

MrZ New Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Dark Room Conundrum (without Huts) and Possible Bug?

Question: Went through with huts and really enjoyed. Highly addictive. However, going through without huts and can't figure out how to get cured meat or bone spear ... Does the merchant eventually sell them?

Also, have an IPad retina (rev3). After completing and clicking on secrets button the mp3s don't play - checked for muting and turned up volume but can't hear any of the entries? Is there a bug with rev3 with sound?

14. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I've only played through it once (with huts) but generally I found that I found cured meat while travelling around than I could eat. The only reason I ever really had to make cured meat was to support the coal and sulphur miners.

15. Zhang Doe

Zhang Doe Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Got this on the free day and loved it. It's good fun. Very different but quite creative. I'm impressed with the content this delivers despite being quite minimalist.

It is a bit frustrating getting to the corners of the map, so you have to be conservative with returning to the locations you've beat. Also, I didn't realize until the end that if you go off one side of the map, you'll end up on the other. That might have saved me some time early on.

This may not be everyone's genre, but giving it a one star is a dick move. A one-star review should be for bad games, not one that just isn't your speed. I don't particularly enjoy games like Starcraft, but that's me and not an indictment on the game / developers..

16. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've had this on my phone for a while, just got round to playing it today - and didn't stop until I had finished it. This game is great, I had no idea what to expect (I had no idea what sort of game it was at all!) and I think that really added to the experience. Despite being so minimalist, I think this is one of the most engaging games I've played on iOS.

17. scamper

scamper New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    UI designer
    California
    I don’t get it.

I was a huge Infocom fan, and I like some of the “incremental” games I’ve played... but I don’t get this one. After a few increments, I’ve totally stalled. I’ve built all the huts, and my population has maxed out. Now all I do is stoke the fire and defend myself from occasional marauders. I’ve dipped my toe into the map, but my limited water supply means I can only get 10 spaces in any direction, so there’s no exploration without a serious storage upgrade (which doesn’t seem forthcoming). I did find a sword once, but lost it when I dared to venture 11 spaces away from home. As a result, I kinda hate the exploring. I prefer just clicking, autism-style.

I guess I’m confused because all the other incremental games I’ve played are constantly making new things available by clicking. But this one has me facing a wall. Or plateau. Was that intentional? People here talk about an unfolding story, and endings... but all I have is a few huts and a flickering fire. Is there something obvious I’m missing?

18. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Build a bigger water supply. Get out into the forest.

The game pretty much provides nudges for you to explore incrementally.

19. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yeah. I think it's the water tank you need. Also, clear out some of the locations and they'll become friendly outposts you can revisit to top up your water.

20. autofire

autofire Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    You made the wrong choice Papa Deuce. The thrill of ending a game is in ACTUALLY finishing it. What did you expect, a fireworks display?