Unreal iPhone REAL DEMONSTRATION

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by seantyas, Mar 15, 2010.

1. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Just came across this on youtube from GDC , posted March 10th so I am assuming this is for real .

Apologies if someone has already posted this!! I would be surprised if no one did, but I could not find it.

Get excited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnN4lzM9CB4

2. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    That is awesome. If they can get the Unreal engine to work on the iDevice..then there is many possiblities.

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

that's obviously an iPad. lust look at it carefully

4. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Either way..it is awesome.

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

well, it could mean us older generation users cant use it, which would of course stand to reason!

6. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    actually its not necessarily ipad either, dimensions arent right, but definitely it is only for 3gs/ipad ... OR only ipad.. either way... really impressive

7. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    their using an iControlPad to control the game, obviously
    and i can guarentee thats on iPad. 3GS would heavily lag with all those effects

8. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    disappointing!! then I suppose im getting an ipad:)

9. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    interestinnnnnng... THIS off Epic's website's GDC Press Release:

"
    The presentation will showcase a new outdoor foliage demo that highlights new engine features, tools, lighting, shadowing and procedural animation. Attendees will also be able to view the demo in gorgeous stereoscopic 3D and preview Unreal Engine 3 running on iPhone/iPod Touch."

Even the word "ipad" does not appear..... But as you can see from this video, this is not an outdoor scene... So it leaves still a bit of confusion...

Time to get excited yet?

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #10 LBG, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    That's not an iPhone, or an iPod, or an iPad.

That looks like a TV to me!

None of Apples devices have sharp cornered edges - they are rounded off on iPhone, iPod, iPad.

The dimensions of the screen aren't right - the iPad, iPod and iPhone all have a more square screen.

And the casing-screen size ratio isn't right. There is a small amount of bezel compared to the screen size.

Just look at the casing on the iPad:

[​IMG]

11. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    hmm.. so maybe it was just someone playing a game on pc through a tv monitor...

12. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    I am with you, its either a pc version of sometype (Possibly epic's answer to quakelive) OR an iphone running with a tv out of some sort (thus you're not going to see thumbs)....

In either case, iPad is not mentioned in Epic's GDC press release ...

13. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    its Unreal for Mac

14. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    sadly i think you're right.. given that the gdc is over now, and this being the only video... this was mislabelled from the start...
    ugh!! gutted

15. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    AhaHAHA, some of you guys actually believed this is possible on an ipad. Look at the effects! Bump maps, high res textures, procedural animation and probably normal maps too. Now let's think about ipad: no next-gen GPU (OpenGL ES 2.0 is equivalent to Shader Model 2.0), hence the dedicated GPU memory xD, 1GHz processor (the last thing I've seen running on 1Ghz is NOT unreal engine with all those gorgeous effects, no matter what the architecture of the processor). I'm not trying to offend or be a total d-bag here, so anyone who understood this message wrong, SORRY. I just found it funny how most people believe technology is evolving THAT fast.

P.S. Although i may be wrong about the effects. Once i got Eliminate on my 3GS and saw the `normal maps rendering`, i couldn't play the game on my 2g anymore cause it looked garbage compared to 3GS (normal maps fakes HD light reflections as far as i'm concerned)

16. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    So I was wrong :) wishful thinking :) Least you got to look cool by explaining...

17. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxoSbQVcdw

Mark Rein (Epic Games) in person showing the ut3-engine on the iphone (ipod touch). The other video is definately not played on an iphone/ipad, well, maybe an iphone 4g Turbo ;)

18. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    At game conferences like this a lot of games are played on a tv, out putting from a handheald so people can actually watch what is going on. Most handheld dev kits have tv out too among other functions.

It would not surprise me if this is running on a 3gs and 3g touch, spend enough money and time on a dedicated engine and you get those results.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ding, ding, ding! First, it's not likely an iPad, since there are precious few of those outside of Cupertino right now (not even John Carmack has one!). Second, the graphics shown on that video are nowhere near current-gen console or PC quality, so what would be the point of showcasing them at GDC? Third, Diablohead is absolutely right: pour enough resources into it, and you can make an under-powered device do a lot of things that would not have seemed possible -- that pretty much sums up PSP development.

Obviously, we can't know whether that video is legit; I just wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well there was Unreal shown on an iPhone at GDC 2010, but it's a different video: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/this-is-what-unreal-engine-3-on-iphone-looks-like/

My guess is the video on this thread is the news that Epic (the creators of Unreal Engine 3) has formed a partnership with Valve/Steamworks and the video was probably being displayed on a Mac (the aspect ratio matches) or a different monitor.

Article is here: http://www.develop-online.net/news/34127/GDC-Epic-and-Valve-unite-in-SteamworksUE3-deal