Getting to publishers. NDA or no NDA?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by smash.rs, Feb 27, 2012.

1. smash.rs

smash.rs Member

Apr 21, 2011
    My company is about to launch a new iOS game, and we are close to finishing the game. We are at testing and final tweaking, after 6 months of development. We used to work solely as a game art and concept art studio, but last year we started to develop our own games. This will be the first game to see the light of day, even though it`s not our first game.

In the beggining we were planning on do everything by ourselves, to see if we could manage every aspect, test our skills and so on. But now, we are really thinking on send a playable version of the game to some publishers to see if we can get anyone interested.

My question is, should we include and NDA with it or not? The project is almost done, and so i asking myself if it`s necessary, since it`s not on an early stage, and we are already talking to blogs and teasing it on social media.

Thanks.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    An NDA is not a bad idea. However, you'll only really be able to get a publisher to sign a mutual NDA (and likely theirs) in which you are going to have to concede that they may be working on something similar to what you have anyway.

That being said, having signed literally hundreds of NDAs over the years, I'm not sure I've ever had to go back to it because of an issue. We've been fortunate to have dealt with mainly trustworthy individuals.