Dead End (for iPhone/iPod)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by randyo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    #1 randyo, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    Hey folks!

I've been working on this game for a bunch of months now, mostly part-time (until this week, pretty much). Just submitted it tonight, and now I guess I should start promoting the darn thing!

It's a strategic one button zombie killing game that I'm super proud of. All you do is press the screen to make Harold stop, spin and shoot. If you let go, he runs in the direction he was facing. Super simple but pretty difficult. Well, not difficult for me anymore. (I guess 100 hours of playing/testing the game will make you an expert at anything.)

Check out the trailer (which is unfortunately low-quality because of compression and my lack of a retina device [though it totally has retina graphics!]).

http://vimeo.com/28829162

I'm looking forward to it being out on the store, cause it's exactly the type of game I wanted on my iPod touch, and I think and hope other people (like yourselves!) will feel the same.

There will be additional content as time goes on: more zombie types, weapon types, levels, and modes. However I am also one of the artists for Tiger Style Games so I will be completely preoccupied with that for the next couple months.

Anyway, I'm rambling! I'll be back to tell you when it goes live and I hope you'll give me the benefit of your dollar. (It'll only cost .99)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. TheShoresOfHell

TheShoresOfHell Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    It looks good, but I think it will remind everyone of one of the games already on the appstore... i donĀ“t know, maybe is still worth the buy, will wait for the release.

3. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    The art and animations are nice :D

4. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Ah, thanks for posting the trailer. I could not figure out how to embed it...

I got my degree in animation (3d, though these are all 2d) so that will hopefully make the animation endearing.

In regard to gameplay, I think once it comes out it'll hopefully escape being like most games out there. In terms of theme, I came up with zombies as being the most relevant theme to the idea of a man running scared. I didn't really want to create some really wacky new theme just for the sake of it, so I latched onto the pretty overdone zombie scene.

In terms of gameplay, it's actually most like Tilt To Live and Super Crate Box (navigating a hostile area to reach the next weapon), and Canabalt's one-button interface. My inspiration was Canabalt, and as I made the game, I realized how much it was like the other two games.

5. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Tilt to live style controls? That's an interesting idea, a change from the usual dual sticks that we find in those types of games. The game looks fun!

6. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    LOL. I love the "pew pew" sounds of the first gun shown.

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    So you tilt to move and collect guns and then tap to shoot and you must tap on the direction u want to shoot and u can also hold down to make that spinning thing? Am I right? And it looks great, especially seeing that you design for Tiger Style! :D

8. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    Sorry, its not a tilt controlled game, I mean that it has that same layout. Weapons appear and more and more zombies fill the screen and you have to navigate them to reach the next weapon.

It's a one button game and the challenge is Mastering how/when to press. Your guy, Harold, ping pongs around the screen freely if you don't do anything. But while you tap or press the screen, he spins and shoots. That's it, that's the only control you have.

I am not an experienced coder, so I put the constraint on myself that itd be just press the screen or don't. And that's kinda how the idea was born. :)

9. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    ^^^ i love that concept, 1 button games are a blast, i in loved with Jetpack Joyride XD and this has zombies :D so, everything seems to be there, plus the animations are hilarious,, im buying this baby.

10. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!