Best Book for Learning Objective-C?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mew2468, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm a newbie developer, and I'm looking for books to learn Objective-C. The only programming language I know is Visual Basic and, to be honest, I'm not very good at it. Actually, I'm horrible. Anyways, I was looking at 2 books...

• Programming in Objective-C - Author: Stephen Kochan
    • Learn Objective–C on the Mac - Mark Dalrymple, Scott Knaster
    Which one would you recommend? Remember I have no programming experience :). Or do you recommend a different book?

2. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    The only book you will ever need is Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X 3rd Edition by Aaron Hillegass.

3. I have had no experience with C, but found bits and bobs online to help me understand it's ways. I have bought the book "Beginning iPhone Development" by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche, however, they do state that you ought to have some knowledge of C before reading. I am getting on fine, but if I was starting from scratch without any help from the net, then I would probably struggle. So I wouldn't recommend this book to you personally.
    The problem is, I don't think I have read of one book yet that teaches you Objective C without expecting you to already know about C.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That's precisely what the Kochan book aims to do, which is why I got it. Haven't gotten that far into it, though, so can't provide much feedback as yet.

5. #5 wastedyuthe, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Yes, I just had this book delivered today. I have just had a quick read and Stephen even implies that newcomers shouldn't learn C before learning Objective C as it "starts the pogrammer in the wrong direction, and gives the wrong orientation and mindset for fostering a good object-oriented programming style". He goes on to say "Just because Objective C is an extention to the C language doesn't mean you have to learn C first".

Sounds good to me, except it doesn't go into iPhone development till quite late into the book.

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I've gotten through the first 4 chapters and I think it's pretty good so far. The author often anticipated the questions I have had at various points, which is an important criterion in my book. We're still very much covering the basics, though.

7. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I decided to order this book, and it will be arriving shortly (hopefully...:mad:). I looked at the overview and it does say you don't need any past experience, so it should help me...