Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I'm using the apparently notorious PDP Custom Crystal Case at the moment.

[​IMG]

It's incredibly bulky, but the case is very solid overall. I've seen some reviews on Amazon saying that the case pops open when dropped on its hinge, but that's not a problem with the Vita actually inside the case. The Vita essentially prevents the hinge from becoming loose.

2. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    #602 nic., Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    Just a quick update from me, few days ago I had a red stuck (?) pixel on my screen. I saw it when I was browsing with my vita and its really visible against the white background. It was just 1 so I didn't want to make a big deal out of it (Partly because I imported it). The 2nd night I turned my vita completely off instead of just standby and left it to charge overnight. Then ta-daaaa! The next morning when I check, the stuck pixel has un-stuck itself.

I'm not sure exactly what caused the pixel to un-stuck itself again, but just trying to share. If any of you guys encounter a stuck pixel, if possible, try wait a day or two.

Recently picked up a copy of ninja gaiden too, never play any of the title before but so far I'm impressed. It's not as impressive as uncharted visually but gameplay wise, it's very satisfying so far.

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Can you send me that card insert so I can at least pretend I have a PS Vita? :D

4. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    The game is definitely awesome, but I had the exact opposite experience with the face-mapping. I tried it, and the result was a terrifying abomination.

Now, it's possible that my wife has been lying to me all these years and I actually *am* a terrifying abomination in the looks department, but I'm going to go with the much preferable explanation that I couldn't get it to work properly.

But as I said, the game itself is excellent. I've never been into tennis, but I bought it on a whim, and so far I've been loving it.

5. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of VT since the Dreamcast days and bought this game yesterday. Those graphics are remarkable and the gameplay is SO good! I love the single player campaign (?) mode where it requires some strategy when using and collecting the tickets and only being able to move certain distances. I had no idea at what I was doing at first (probably should have read the manual), but love it now.

The Mini games are fun as well. The chick one is so hillarious, I laughed when they first got hit by the ball, so mean!

Still getting into it, but yeah, anyone who's a fan of VT should check this out.

On a side note, I finally got a Sony Screen protector on near perfect! I had bought the 2-pack Sony brand one at launch and tried to put it on immediately after opening my Vita only to find that I didn't align it correctly and that some lint had gotten under. Needless to say, it ended up in the trash.

I was cleaning the screen this morning when I noticed some really fine hairline scratches starting. Seeing this, I decided to try again and really took my time to prep and get everything straight. Paid off, screen protector is now on and has no bubbles or dust trapped and seems straight. As a tip for alignment, the Sony one is made to be pretty dummy friendly and has you aligning a plastic portion with the buttons. This is fine, but there is room so that it's not a tight fit so I found it best to align the rest of the screen protector with the top and bottom of the Vita, I didn't realize this with my first try. Also wipe off the actual screen protector itself before pulling off the protective sheets, mine had dust so when I laid it on the screen to line up, I noticed it left dust on the screen just as I was about to start the pull.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Well, it's as I've said from the very beginning. Virtua Tennis 4 has the best graphics, at least for a 3D game, on the Vita. Gameplay-wise, it's pretty solid too. I don't think it's the best overall game, but it's pretty damn good.

Rayman is also graphically stunning, but since Rayman is 2D and Virtua Tennis is 3D, it's hard to compare them. Virtua Tennis is the most underrated game on the system. I can't believe IGN gave it a 8.5 for it's graphics. I ain't never seen a handheld/portable game look like that.

The Vita is going to fall into that trap of being directly compared to home console gaming and being docked points by professional reviewers for not stacking up. The same thing happened with the PSP. It's unfair, but it is what it is. The Vita is still early in it's life cycle. Perhaps there will come a time where a percentage of Vita games will compare favorably to Ps3 games. Sony will likely have moved onto the Ps4 by then. It seems as if handheld gaming ever can never win in the respect department when being evaluated by the mainstream.

7. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Gotta love when you grab the charger for the Vita and head to work so you can have it charged by lunch time, then realize you forgot the usb part of the charger....

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    One of the very few things that annoys me is the charger. It's identical in every way to my ereader charger (also Sony) except for the sneaky little grooves Sony added to stop you being able to use it with anything else. I'm almost tempted to file them down.

If it's like my Sony ereader it will use some sneaky pin crossing to prevent you from using most other USB plug chargers with it but I haven't tested this yet.

Still that is one of the only bad things the thing is brilliant at what's important aka the games.

9. MavericianStorm

MavericianStorm Active Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Professional awesome person
    Saving President Ronnie
    I've gotten Uncharted, Hotshots, Wipeout, and Mutant Blobs Attack. I love all of them. Anyone else picking up Unit 13 on Tuesday?

10. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I'm getting Unit 13. I liked the Demo and the fact that the gameplay style can be changed depending on the agent selected. Can't wait to try some co-op with that one.

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Multiplayer has me kind of worried...
    I feel that the game is split half and half. One said of the community goes stealth and the other guns blazing.. The problem is when you match the 2 types up the experience is diversely different....

12. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm probably going to pick up Unit 13. Really enjoyed the demo, and I like what I've seen so far.

13. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    As someone who never had a PSP, what would be some PSP games worth the money and memory card space for me to download? And to go along with that question, WHY are those games great?

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    haha ;)

I threw away the insert after tearing the packaging open I think, I opened it so fast I don't even remember the insert lol.

15. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    snagged one of these today. psn:

panama_chief

is there a list of TA'ers on PSN?

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    All the TAers are in a huge group message

17. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    id like to be part of that please

18. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    Without knowing your personal gaming preferences, it's hard to say if you'll find the same games worthwhile as me, but I'd say:

- both God of War games (Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus). They're really not that far off from the console versions -- not quite as big, obviously, but they come surprisingly close.

- Daxter, because it's a fun 3D platformer that will be vastly improved by having two thumbsticks

- Ys Seven, because it's a lengthy action RPG that doesn't feel padded or require tremendous amounts of grinding.

- The 3rd Birthday (it's a good action game with some neat mechanics where you get to jump from person to person while you try and defeat the bad guys), but I'm not sure how much of that recommendation is just from me being impressed by how much better it looks on the Vita screen compared to the PSP.

19. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    brian - got you on my list but still waiting for that group invite ;)

20. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    I've been eyeing the God of War games. Also heard good things about Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Persona 3.

Also, someone invite me to the group message!