Why The Ads In Paid Apps ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SuperDuper, Aug 19, 2012.

1. SuperDuper

SuperDuper New Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I am losing my mind. It seems many of the games/apps I purchase these days still include prompts to buy more of the developers/publishers products. This even happens in many cases through updates. I understand the economy is poor, but this frustrates me. I paid, let me play without being bothered.

I don't review many games, but I might start reviewing games in which these prompts to buy other titles from the same developer appears and subsequently mention this practice in the review and adjust my rating accordingly. Any thoughts on this?

2. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I said this recently elsewhere, and I'll repeat it here. As an App Store customer, you get two votes right off the bat with regards to what you want to see on the platform: your money and your rating. Use them both to suit your interests. People say they love capitalism and the free market. Good. Use it to your advantage.

Keep in mind, though, that most of these games are still only a buck or so, and with expectations rising (just like they did in the handheld market -- DS/PSP/3DS/Vita), production costs are rising with them. There are AAA console games that sell for $60 that do product placement, so perspective might also help alleviate some of your frustration.

For the most part, I wish my life was free of ads. Does it bother me when I see them in a game I paid for? It depends, really. I can't be dogmatic about it because I know developer needs differ. When I see a banner in my face, I get pissed. When I see an ad hidden behind a slide window like the one in the recently released Puzzle Craft, it doesn't bother me as much.

3. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I don't particularly like them, but as long as they are unobtrusive, preferably put under an options menu somewhere, then they are fine.

Prompts/Banners, though, are annoying as hell, and really puts me off.

4. Yeah, ads are annoying. Would rather have optional inapps like costumes or skip levels or things like that. I guess android games are full of ads, and I hope ios doesn't turn out that way cause it sure does seem like the trend is towards freemium.

5. SuperDuper

SuperDuper New Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Great points.

When a game such as Angry Birds wants me to buy more stuff,that makes me exponentially frustrated. Arguably the most successful app/game in history which has merchandising in every corner of the free market, needs to pester me for more money? And, I have to actually interact with the query to decline? The ad does not only appear, I have to decline. That is just stupid greedy.

6. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    If they're going to advertise on a paid app then at least give me the option to pay it off the game and I'll be happy. If the dev wants more money then I'll spend a dollar(?) towards it's removal and be done with it. Hopefully for good.
    Games got to be fairly good though.;)

7. {:L.S:}

{:L.S:} Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    It's not a big ad but recently an ad has started to pop up in Where's My Water? Kinda pisses me off seeing as I paid for the game and also paid for some of the IAP.

8. Aaron0887

Aaron0887 New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Hi Guys, first time I've posted here after months of reading the forums.

Someone mentioned above that £40 games these days still have in game ads. I used to game on consoles and PC a fair bit until recently and I can recall several occasions where this was the case, particularly in games from the big publishers (EA, Activision).

When it comes to iOS, as it's basically my one and only gaming platform now I'd like to support developers that make the games I like in any way possible and so I'm willing to accept the odd add as long as it's unobtrusive in the games I pay for. The Puzzle Craft example was a good one, you practically have to look for the advert!