GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Finish the level = 1 star
    Defeat all Monsters = 1 star
    Don't lose any lives = 1 star

The only way around that last one is if you use the Phoenix Feather, it gives you one more life and it doesn't count towards the stars because you resurrect

2. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    #1042 masvil, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    OK, I bought it right now :)

3. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Master Mode removes the Story Mode secrets completely. They get replaced with a series of new secrets that all share a side storyline with each other.

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Does anyone like the "Corruption" sword? Might change it to have a small chance to briefly poison targets.

5. Ariectus

Ariectus Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Florida
    #1045 Ariectus, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Hurray my TA account is finally letting me reply on the forums =D I've been lurking since before Super Quickhook lol. Anyways, I love this game and look forward to the arena update where we can all start competing on the leaderboards ;]

I got Gnomey by playing Gardens 1 about 15 times, I love how he changes color and references Hook Champ in every level, lol. I missed him since he was my favorite to play as in quickhook. I feel disloyal to my rocketcat, but the +2 to rainbows and friendship is a real life-saver on the later levels.

Anyways, just wanted to post on here since I've been dying to for months and months, I'll probably have something constructive to say later when its not 4am, lol :p

6. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Weird, I haven't been able to find secrets...

7. Ziekke

Ziekke Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    They are hard to find, and they stem from (i think) one main secret that's impossible to see when not in map. It's clear as day if you just look at your map. But it's only one level.

Secrets in MM are well done, and laid out more or less the way all secrets should be - they are secret, with one or two that start you off with clues to find the rest.

8. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    The first one I found was pretty obvious.

Every other one is quite challenging.
    Some of them lead to books that tell you a side storyline.

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    started playing and have some comments. at first the game is great and funny, like all rocketcat games. but there are some points which are a bit off design. the haste spells acts basically like you have found a secret and now you can get faster to main direction, basically completely useless item. the map button should be definitely on the main screen. if you check for secrets it is a need. personally i found some later levels a bit too long, so fighting against the same monsters becomes repetitive. and it would be really great to have more magic, it's mage gauntlet but it's more like warrior style of the gameplay.

10. Zeratulz

Zeratulz Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Bought the game on release and haven't been able to put it down but I'm playing in moderation as I don't want to go back to having nothing to play. I have a few questions however.

1) The Inferno Blade, is the explosion proc based off of spell crit?

2) Just a general question but what gear setups are you guys using?

3) I know there's a wiki but is there a complete list of all items in the game and their location, the wiki seems a bit lacking.

4) This one's for Kepa. First off thanks for such an amazing game. I beg you please create more RPGs as the genre is dull as hell and needs reviving, Mage Gauntlet was the shock resuscitation that it needed. Would it be too much to ask to add in more sword specific attacks/abilities. Even a simple attack chain would go such a long way.

11. SilverCircleCircus

SilverCircleCircus Active Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I really think silence is a good spell, shouldn't be gotten rid of altogether. But all buff spells need a longer amount of time I think. Haste jars too, even if it is only to get you back on track its cool.

12. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    1. Kepa has said Inferno Blade always has about a 6% chance of getting its proc. Spell Crit only affects the chance that the fireball will crit when it gets that 6%

2. Inferno Blade / Archmage Mantle / Whitebeard Hat / Phoenix Feather or
    Giantslayer / Battlemage Armor / Phoenix Helm / Phoenix Feather

Only other option I've found as generally viable is Pyre Garment / Demon's Ring because Shadow Bomb and Fireball are both crazy good.

Finally, vs Master Mode Hurgoth (and other MM bosses, but mostly him because the other's are a joke):
    Glowing Sword / Battlemage Armor / Phoenix Helm / Old Pendant
    Refer a few pages back for info about that one.

3. Everything in the game (itemwise) is pretty linear, I've found, so you won't miss anything. The only exceptions are the Crystal Staff and Skull Pendant, which are in MM Ruins Crossing 1 (I think 1) and MM Homunculus Bunker 1, respectively.

13. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Black Market stock: Phoenix Helm, Inferno Blade, Firecharge Vest, Phoenix Feather and Rocketcat.

14. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Kepa in the next big update will you be adding more IAP's?

15. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Suggestions for new combo buff name:
    Muted Time
    Silent Time
    Quiet Time

Decent names, imo. Haven't found one that instantly clicked yet, though.

16. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Tbh, the perfect new name is "Use Me With Glowing Sword and Win".

17. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    My setup as well, although occasionally switch Inferno Blade for the Crystal Staff and Rocketcat for Gnomey.

KEPA: A few suggestions, mostly previously mentioned, but I wanna get on board and drive the points home further. Firstly, longer buff spells and haste urns. You NEVER make it all the way back to the original quest by the time it runs out. Also, let's have a few random spells hidden in the odd barrell or breakable item, to incentivize smashing stuff aside from the achievements you can get from it. Additional IAP would be nice, but only if it serves a function. I love the current IAP and I'll happily pay for it to support you guys (even just bought the entire Hook series to show the love), but the Phoenix Helm is purely cosmetic...it's not even constantly on fire like it says in the description, it's just a hat that happens to be a killer match for the firecharge vest! Though I must admit, it looks pretty bad ass when paired with it. Def more IAP pets and weapons, so long as they stand out somewhat from the rest of the in-game weapons like how the Inferno Blade and Rocketcat do. Maybe also put together a few packs like how you did with the fan pack, paying a buck for each item might be a tough pill to swallow for some, but 8 items for $1.99? That's a little easier. Maybe have matching IAP packs, like a White or Dark Mage pack that is a full matching suit with unique abilities, and a matching pet to go with it. That's be awesome, and would probably sell like...something that sells a lot.

Who is responsible for the humour in the game? I got the Knight Visored Helm today, and when I read "Visor clamps down in middle of combat, must be constantly reopened or fastened with string.", I damn near pissed myself. I still can't believe 3 people put this game together. I remember beating old-school RPG's on SNES and the credits would roll for half an hour. Props to you, Jeremy and Brandon for pulling it off with such style. Can't F'in wait for the next installment (or update, even!).

18. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    P.S. What's the deal with time circle? I know it should be self-explanatory in that it should probably slow enemies' attacks or projectiles once entering the circle, but I really don't find it does any of that, it's just like playing normally, but uhhh....with a circle around you. Anyone?

19. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Time circle stops enemies from dashing.

I've finally beaten Master Mode (woo)
    Power is still out, been mooching off people (boo)

More comments after 10-20 more hours of gameplay.

Hardest levels are the last three. Seriously Kepa? Like 9 Health urns?!? Not good enough lmao.

Crypt three is quite hard to three star.

I have 300/306 stars only going to get 302/306 until update hits.

Death duck is okay I use him but not really sure how he is "the best". I like Gnomey a lot.

I beat Hurgoth with all my health. Quite easy with that whole buff setup.

Ending is beast... Great job.

Seems you're going to address all the main gripes.

You need to add 3 or so more health urns to pinnacle 3 on STORY MODE. I three starred it finally but its still brutal compared to the other levels. Has enough spells not enough health for anyone without the phoenix feather.

Pinnacles on Master Mode need like 1 extra spell urn cuz I always get lame "lucky" or silence/time circle when I really needed fireball. I hate getting silence and going into a room realizing I really needed Time Circle.

Onto achievements. I cannot seem to unlock the "Crossed the streams" is it just me?
    No achievement for master mode secrets. Some other secret achievement isn't working either. Does the anvil one work now? Didn't try to go back. Eventually will do rerun of whole story mode to find all books.

Only got to level 69/75 by the end of master mode. Kind of disheartening wante to be cap but I guess not. Even grinded a bit because I wanted to max my Magic stat.

I found a good grinding spot if anyone is interested. Its in master mode though.

20. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Is the note in the MM bunker the last secret in the game?
    Also, I forgot who Harbinger is, lol...name sounds familiar, but just can't remember...