Sewing Superstar, coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by claytical, Apr 30, 2011.

1. claytical

claytical Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Professor
    Miami, FL
    #1 claytical, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
    My friend Lawrence and I have been working on a game for the iPod/iPhone since late last year. It's quite possibly the bloodiest sewing game ever. I know what you're thinking, "Why hasn't anyone made a brutal sewing game yet!?" and that's exactly why we made it.

We're just awaiting approval, we'll post here when it's available on the app store.

You can check out a quick video walkthrough at http://vimeo.com/claytical/sewing-superstar

Some screenshots below as well.

We're hoping people enjoy playing it as much as we enjoyed making it.

Clay

Attached Files:

2. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I'll admit, the game does look totally different from anything else that's on the app store right now but I just can't see guys playing this unless they have a passion for fashion design. IDK, maybe it's just me.

3. claytical

claytical Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Professor
    Miami, FL
    Ha, I'm hoping that guys will find it to be a guilty pleasure. We've playtested it quite a bit and it's had a pretty positive response. And who says sewing isn't manly? :)

4. neondevil

neondevil New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Game Designer/Illustrator/Sassy Man
    You're right sewing is totally wussy that's why we had to juice it up with some serious gore.

I'm Lawrence and I bring delicious concept art treats. The game was originally a lot more horrible but we had to tone it down because of the ToS. There was something about "graphic realistic violence against children" that apple wasn't a fan of.

Attached Files:

5. claytical

claytical Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Professor
    Miami, FL
    Spoke too soon

We've been going back and forth with Apple on the violence issue and getting repeatedly rejected. The last version was as "non-violent" as possible, anything less than what we've reduced it to just takes out the purposeful sting. Our goal was to create a game that might spark a serious conversation, but it looks like that won't happen in the App Store.

We can't imagine a way to bring this sewing game and it's mechanic to be acceptable in Apple's eyes, so we'll probably have to reskin it as a different and non serious game.

We're open to suggestions if you've got them.

We'll be retooling the code to work on Android though with the original content.

6. bryvia

bryvia New Member

Mar 31, 2011
    That's some pretty hardcore violence on a kid. I wouldn't get a game like this because I don't like seeing that and I'd be afraid if my little niece saw it she would be horrified! Kind of an odd concept to have the gore against a kid! Why not get rid of the gore completely? Besides that and the fact that it seems to be making light of child labor, the game looks kinda neat.

7. gomo666

gomo666 New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    nice style!:)

8. claytical

claytical Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Professor
    Miami, FL
    Yes and no...

Well, yes and no. It was originally called Sweatshop Superstar. It was rated 17+ all around. Totally not for children. As a game it's meant to make people confront an issue that they probably don't spend a lot of time thinking about. We aren't trying to make light of child labor, we want people to talk about it.

We replaced the child in the story along with the hand mutilation to tone it down a bit (still retaining a 17+ restriction). The game is way less violent than a lot of other games I've played, which means it's pretty much the subject that Apple doesn't like.

All that being said, when we get around to reskinning the game, there's a good chance it will no longer be in a factory, it'll lack any type of violence and definitely won't confront any social issues.

In other news, we're working on another game that's totally abstract with no moral dillemas. More details on that soon.