iPad 2 speaker self repair kit?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by chris1a, Oct 24, 2012.

1. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    The speaker on my iPad 2 started distorting quite bad couple of months after I bought it and the last months or so the volume has gotten really low, can't even watch alot of YouTube content etc anymore without using headphones or airplay. So I'm guessing some element(s) or whatever in the speaker are messed up.

Anyway does anyone have any experience in prying open an iPad 2 and changing parts for it (like the speaker part)? I don't mind a few dings here and there or a broken camera somewhere, just wanna fix the speaker. Feels like its gonna cost way too much sending it to Apple.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It's out of warranty? There is a guide on iFixit for removing the speaker assembly, but it is not pretty:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPad+2+Wi-Fi+Speaker+Assembly/5473/1

3. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    It's out the 1 year warranty. The last 2 years i need to show that the product was faulty do begin with or something along those lines. Thanks for the link, saved the page and gonna follow each of the 54 steps...in just as many days. Nah that wasn't pretty and a weeeeee bit more complicated then I thought it was gonna be. Well, still saving that article. The speaker needs to get fixed somehow anyway so

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You're -way- better off either taking it to a third party repair shop to get it fixed, just paying Apple, or sucking it up and dealing with it. Alternatively, it might make economic sense to just sell it on Craigslist as damaged for a bit of a discount and buy a new one. I promise if you try to take it apart you'll break way more than the speaker you're trying to fix. Considering iFixIt finds it difficult to take apart and this sort of thing is what they do, I'd never try it myself.

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yea waiting for the next iPad and selling this one as damaged is most likely what's gonna happen. I did actually buy Logitechs tablet speaker (clip on stereo speaker for any tablet not just iPads really) a few weeks ago since I dabble with music apps, and earplugs aren't always an option. And even tho this clip-on tablet speaker sounds pretty friggin amazing for a less then $20 product it doesn't exactly make the iPad more portable so to speak.

6. Or buy a soundfreaq wireless bluetooth speaker. It really rocks and is easy to use. I love it. $99

7. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Nah way to much compression/frequency loss going on with Bluetooth. But thanks. I do have access to AirPlay all over the place, so streaming isn't an issue anyways.

I'll just get the new iPad 4 and use the iPad 2 as a back scratcher and remote. I use my old 3GS as a ball scratcher and remote for the tv/media center so..

8. JJLoop

JJLoop New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Had same issue, tried a fix myself, but think i made it worse :/
    Think my parents sent it too this ipad repair place. From what i remember they come round and pick it up.

but otherwise there's quite a few places around normally they will do it, although not to sure about ipad Air.