Apple launching an official gaming joypad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Aventador, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Source : http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Apple+news/news.asp?c=49737

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Not sure I believe it, but it would be a good thing if true, especially for iPad. I hope that the controller to iPad interface isn't something they'll lock down, so 3rd parties can make controllers too. And I hope it supports analog sticks and all that jazz.

3. #3 Connector, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Yes, I am probably the one of the most pro joystick person on ios especially using hdmi tv with an icade core joystick and a Gameloft duo gamer joystick!

I will welcome an Apple joystick with GREAT joy, will be one of the first ones in line to buy 2! Would rock playing hdmi tv with my friend playing games as a console.

Way to go Apple! I want one now!

Still will love my other two joysticks which work awesome, my icade core joystick and gameloft duo gamer joystick. Hope they will get more love rather than be discontinued in the future.

Attached Files:

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #4 Rip73, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    Not going to happen anytime soon.
    At least not likely this year.

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Awesome news!

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    This has already been shot down by a reliable source. Sorry guys, this isn't coming anytime soon

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm gonna assume they'd enforce touch/tilt controls on all games that want to support a controller. But if the day arrives when the majority of games are made purely with controllers in mind and start neglecting good touch options... iOS gaming is dead. I have consoles with physical controls already, and their games are better.

8. Not even by xmas time?

9. But more expensive and not portable and not able to use on a phone.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not even slightly portable. Just a hundred times better. I guess we'll all have to use our outdoor roaming time for eating and making out with hot chicks, like we did in the 80s.

11. I would take chicks over a console any day of the week.

But, people still laugh at me for trying to play my ipad as a console, but it is a heck of a lot of fun. I dragged out one of my old xboxes, played halo, jetset radio, soul calibur, and mame. Got bored in 2 hours. Put it away, got my ipad out, stuck my hdmi tv cable in, got my icade core out and had a lot of fun. Metal slug x was awesome with a joystick.

And you know what? I like both the icade core and Gameloft duo gamer better than the xbox controller. The icade core is more like an arcade stick, and the gameloft duo is lighter. Plus of course they are wirless not wired.

Anyway, hopeful an apple joystick will come out by xmas time, if not, it's ok with me for now, I got 2 great joysticks to use in the meantime

12. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Read the updated stories -- there isn't a plan for this controller apparently at all.

The next "new" thing is a streaming radio service - iRadio.

13. Anyone got any links? Too bad if true, would have loved to see an official apple joystick. At sometime they are gonna have to do something cause Microsoft will have one for sure, and android will have something too. Apple has to do it sometime or other, I would think.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm okay with iCade, because it's actually providing something new. I get more tempted by the thought of buying one every day.

15. The icade core still will have a niche due to it's real arcade stick and it's large 8 buttons. I actually like it way more than my old xbox controllers. It makes you feel like you are in an arcade, and even has an optional slot where you can put your ipad. Much funner playing with a stick vs a dpad, but Sometimes having a dual analog stick like the gameloft duo gamer joystick is cool too.

But having one supported by apple would be great cause all the developers would support it and also many would update their old games for joystick support. I am hopeful that the icade core will always continue to be supported even if Apple makes its own joystick. They have totally different feels, so don't see why they couldn't coexist.

Danmaku 2 pictured with an icade core joystick.

Attached Files:

16. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

You can already use an xbox or ps3 controller with Android, so there's no need for Google to make one.

17. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    How old are you?

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    IMHO the iCade is a waste of money. It's cute, fun at first, but impractical. When I play games on my iPad I don't bother to go sit at a table and put it in the iCade. If I want to play games like that I'll play the Xbox 360 or PS3. And there are plenty of really great download games for both. Connector needs to check out one or the other soon to be last gen consoles. :)

19. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Nice work bringing a dead thread back to life, and getting hopes up over nothing!