Gametel Controller

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robneal81, Jan 30, 2012.

1. robneal81

robneal81 Active Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Does anyone own the Gametel controller?

http://gametel.se/

It's not available in the US yet, but I can have a friend in the UK get it for me and ship it over. I was really hoping to talk to people that had actually owned it before I buy it. If anyone on this forum owns it, would you mind letting us know a few things?:

- Does it currently work with iOS devices, or is that a feature coming in the future?

- How does it compare to the iControlPad? I've been going back and forth on which one I'd prefer and so far the trigger buttons make the Gametel much more appealing to me. I'm sure people may want the analog thumb sticks, but I'll mostly be using it to play emulators and 8-bit-style games, such as League of Evil.

- Lastly, does anyone know when it'll be available in the US? I emailed Gametel and got a vague response with not even a hint of a date.

2. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I had a gametel pad, but I sent it back to amazon 48 hours after it being delivered. My biggest complaint was that the Bluetooth connectivity kept on dropping out only after a few minutes and eventually wouldn't connect to my device. Not worth the £50 asking price I'm now looking to buy an icontrolpad instead but there out of stock in the Uk at the moment

3. robneal81

robneal81 Active Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Wow, thanks for the feedback. That's really too bad, as it looks so nice!

May I ask if you were using an iOS device or an Android?

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I was using an IOS device. It states on Gametels website that it is also IOS compatible and to begin with it did connect, but then the issues with Bluetooth connectivity reared it's head and to be honest with how much the unit cost I don't expect that type of problem. It's a shame as it's a nicely designed unit, but I get the feeling it was primarily designed for Android and at the last minute decided to add IOS and Icade functionality.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Gametel thing...

...I got one recently and I like it. I use it with my iPhone and I've also got an ICP which I use with my iPad when travelling. They're great if you've got the money to spare but are expensive for what they are.
    The Gametel one fits the iPhone nocely but it only plays iCade games. I mainly got it so I could play all those iMame games (and Jeff Minter's games too).
    The new Ion ones will probably be better as the button mapping in the Gametel and ICP can be a bit weird as they're use as proxy-iCades.
    If you're buying anything I'd recommend an iCade as it really is fantastic (provided you have an iPad).
    Sorry - too much detail.

6. robneal81

robneal81 Active Member

Dec 31, 2011
    No, not too much detail...that's exactly what I was looking for! I actually already own an iCade and LOVE it. I wanted a handheld device that I could use the same way, but on both the iPad and iPhone.

Could you give a little more detail on the difference between the Gametel and the iControlPad? Anything you can offer would be great, but I was curious about two things:

- How are the trigger buttons on the ICP compared to the Gametel? They look like they're awkwardly placed and would be a pain for games like Super Metroid or Mario Kart that use them as a main control of the game.

- How do the analog sticks work on the ICP? I thought they'd mostly go unused for me, but I imagine playing games like Outrun (or other driving games) on iMame may be better with an analog stick.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I'll end up with one of these soon, I just want to make sure it's the best choice for me.

7. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Follow on......

I actuall nevere have enoug time to do what I want with these things so I'be only ever used the ICP in iCade mode. I plan to try Robotron and Star Wars on iMame using the nubs but I haven't used the nubs yet. I'm not jailbroken so haven't tried with she's emulator etc. This is a mix of not enough time and fear.
    I'll try iMame and Vertex Blaster later tonight.
    Remote controlling with iPad I use ICP and for gameplay with phone as it fixes easier I use Gametel. To fix the phone to the ICP looks like a bit of a faff. I travel a lot with work hence the reason why I got them. My wife thinks I'm mental.

8. robneal81

robneal81 Active Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I just ordered a Gametel off of eBay (and unfortunately paid twice as much as I would have when they're officially available in the US).

I should have it by the end of next week, so I'll post a short review when it arrives.

9. robneal81

robneal81 Active Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I finally received the Gametel controller! The original one I bought never arrived, so I had to buy a second from a different seller on eBay. I can honestly say it's AWESOME. There's no lag at all and it works with everything I've thrown at it.

First, it's really comfortable to hold and all the buttons, including the triggers are well placed. Also, the phone is held in nicely and never shakes loose.

For non-jailbroken iOS devices, Games like League of Evil (1&2) go from being a good game to being an AMAZING game.

For jailbroken iOS devices or Android users, it's even better. Emulators work flawlessly with it, since all the emu's I use are already compatible with iCade mode. I like all the ".emu" ones (NES.emu, MD.emu, GBC.emu, Snes9X EX) since they have always seemed to be the emulators that are most accurate. With the Gametel controller, now it really feels like I'm playing those old systems! Also, button mapping in those emulators only takes a few seconds and is saved so you don't re-enter it every time.

I found something else that's pretty cool: A jailbreak program called Blutrol. You can use Blutrol to program the buttons on the Gametel (or any bluetooth controller) to work with games that have on-screen controls. I've been playing Sonic CD (official iOS game) using the Gametel controller via Blutrol and it's perfect!

I'm excited I finally found a way to use a controller with my iPhone. Now I'll actually start using it for gaming!

10. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I suppose I really should jailbreak in the next few weeks. It all sounds magnificent although I'm struggling to play normal iCade games and the iMame ones just now. Blutrol sounds magic though.

11. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Blutrol is magic - here is a list of what its spell works on http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=119408

still waiting on floating dpad update for gta and the like, and dual sticks update for iCP, but in the mean time have fun

12. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    For those who have both controllers, which one do you prefer more? The L and R being on the back of the icp seems weird but it does have analog sticks. I wonder if you can map the analog stick to the terminator 2 arcade game.

13. robneal81

robneal81 Active Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I've never tried the iCP, but this was the main reason I wanted a Gametel. I wanted my iPhone to feel like an SNES or GBA controller, which can sometimes heavily rely on the L and R trigger buttons.

When my friends have asked me the same question, I always answer the same:

- If analog sticks are most important to you, get the iCP.

- If trigger buttons are more important, get the Gametel, as I can vouch that they're awesome.

Would any iCP owners care to comment? I'd really love to hear their opinion on the strangely-placed trigger-buttons. Maybe it's awesome?

14. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I have an iCP, it works good on everything I have tested it on (windows, ipad, android phone). the trigger buttons are only a problem if you think about then as traditional triggers.
    When holding the iCP in a traditional SNES controller method, with your forefingers curled around the top and the rest of your fingers making a fist around the back, you use the middle part of your middle fingers to press the buttons. This sounds odd at first, but you do get used to it quite quickly.
    Also the iCP has flashable firmware, making it completely future proof in case Apple decide to prevent it from working somehow and it also gives you the option to use it in a bunch of different modes, such as iCade, keyboard, mouse, hid gamepad etc. all of which (imho) make the iCP a much better choice than most other gamepads, especially if you want to use it on multiple devices.

15. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    Too bad gametel is hilariously overpriced online and icp is out of stock.

16. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
  17. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    In terms of feel, dead responsiveness and mainly ergonomics, how do you guys like it? Not too cramped hopefully. And hopefully no super mushy dpad.