How has the iPhone/Touch effected your gaming time - Poll

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by super6ft7, Jul 16, 2009.

?

How has the iPhone/iTouch effected time spent on other gaming devices

1. It has not effected it at all

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. I played no/very few games before

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. I now game less on my mobile phone (non iPhone)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I now game less on my portable consoles

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. I now game less on my home consoles

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  6. I now game less overall on other devices

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  7. I now game more overall on other devices

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    #1 super6ft7, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    I was wondering how the iPhone has effected gaming on other consoles for you?

I selected not at all.
    I only play my iPod when I am in situations where I wouldn't have my DS, on the bus to school before my friends get on, when I am in queues, or when I just want to play for a minute!

2. Genius

Genius Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    It has I rarely play my wii. But when I get wii sports resort for my b'day that could change. But then again I'm also getting apps.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I play my touch "too much" now.

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Should be multiple choice really, but I picked the one 'playing less on other portable consoles'. My poor old PSP is sitting on the shelf collecting dust. We had some good times together though :(.

5. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Back when I was in middle school I used to play my PS2 and GameCube a lot. But I just couldnt afford games and wasnt that into them, so I stopped playing.
    In a way, my Touch has brought me back to gaming. Its affordable and addicting. I never play my consoles anymore, just a little on the computer and a lot on my Ipod.

6. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I stopped playing all my PC games to play games on my iphone...I haven't even finished Fallout 3 or even installed Left 4 Dead yet.

7. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    You know, for a long time, I thought gaming was a waste of time, and the only gaming console I was into back then was the Gameboy family. Then I purchased an iPod touch, just to experience a new way of Media playing, but then the App Store came along roughly a year later, and the iPhone has revived my sense of gaming, I began loving games I thought I'd never like, such as SF IV, MGS 4, Fallout, so on. This isn't a good thing though, I got lower scores on my exams this time.

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Pretty much all of my other consoles are collecting dust.

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Before the app store came along I barely gamed anyway, my old GBA and gamecube had been gathering dust for several years, my DS had been broken for a while, and I almost never play my Wii. However I've been iPod games constantly...until recently when I deleted more than half my games. Is my addiction dying off :eek::eek:

10. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience when I was at University a couple of years ago. In the UK, its practically impossible to go through uni without amassing stupid amounts of debt, living in a sh**hole and drinking far too much beer - so gaming kinda just takes a side step. I think in my 4 years at uni, I only got 3 games - MGS3, GTA: San Andreas and GT4.

Since the app store opened, my time on wii/ps2 games has dropped significantly. As an example, I got Madworld for my wii on day 1, but have only completed 2 levels. And its not that I don't like the game (I do - its awesome), its that I just don't find the time to play it as often as I would like. :( The touch is different because the games are different and its portable. Most games are easier to play in much smaller sessions and so can easily be fitted into my lunch break at work for example.

11. MrPeanut

MrPeanut Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Before i got an ipod touch i barely played my 360 anyway, but now the itouch has awakened my gaming spirit(for the ipod touch atleast).

12. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #12 Alichan76, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Growing up, I had an Atari ST in the mid 80's. My Dad wouldn't buy me the more popular Amiga because it was more of a 'gaming' computer, whereas the Atari ST had a good music editing programme, and therefore not just a waste of money, the irony being that I didn't ever use the music programme!

The Super Nintendo was the only console I ever bought. Super Mario provided much entertainment, but I sold that to fund my desire to spend 2 months in the Indonesian rain forest (don't ask...).

That was all years ago. I forgot about gaming since then. I bought an iPod Touch a couple of years ago mainly to listen to music, but the Pianist app caught my eye as a useful purchase. Then I started to delve a little more, having fun with a lot of the free games. That was the catalyst for me getting interested in gaming again.

I have a PSP, which I 'aquired' rather than bought. I have played half a dozen games on it, but I can never really justify spending too much cash on those games, and so don't really play it too often, but occasionally splash out on a game when I feel rich.

Last year I gave WoW a go for a couple of months, but, after the initial 'wow!' factor, it made me realise that I am most definitely not a hard core gamer. So I delved further in the app store, and little by little I have got hooked.

It's a device I feel I can justify having at my age. Something that isn't really a gaming device at heart, but offers a lot of opportunities for closet gamers such as myself to have a lot of fun.

So I have voted 'I now game less overall on other devices', but to be honest I don't think that the app store has made me play less on other platforms. I probably would be playing just as little on them even if the app store didn't exist. Perhpas I should of picked the first one.....doh!

13. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    It has effected my bathroom and pre-sleep time greatly.

Munkie!

14. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've been in and out of gaming lately. I played mostly Nintendo stuff until the Wii games started turning from good-mediocre games to mediocre-crappy games (apparently, that might be changing a little now, but I'm not sure if I wanna play another Super Mario Galaxy).

After playing a little on my 360, I got bored (TFU and Sonic: Unleashed were amazing, but the console created a perfectly circular scratch on both of them, which really pissed me off), and stopped playing 'til I got my iPod Touch. The simple games satisfied me for a few months, then I started craving deeper gameplay. My Xbox died on me, so I decided to download a couple games on my Mac. Trying them out tonight! So, eh, both decreased my gaming on other consoles but did pique some interest in Mac (er, ports from PCs) gaming.

15. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    This is my new gaming system

16. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    well the wii sucks get a ps3 or 360

17. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm quite embarrassed to say this, but the last system I've ever owned that could play 3D video games was a Nintendo 64 that broke in 2004.. :eek: Although I did have Star Wars Battlefront 1&2, but a friend has one and my brother has the other.

I had a GBA that broke in late 2008, which was convenient because I just started to game on the iTouch a month or so after.