App store localisation and separate binaries

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by wearepinata, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    Just wondering if anyone has done any localisation for their apps/games on the iTunes App Store. In my understanding you are required to upload a separate binary for each country. Is that right? I'm assuming this is done so that you can submit separate keywords for search optimisation in local stores. Anyway, any insights woud be appreciated.

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    No, you don't have to upload a special binary. Actually, I am not even sure you can, you'll have to create a brand new App.

Anyway, you can localize your meta data (may be just when you do an update or a first submission).

Now, your app must use the correct language, there is something iOS specific for this where you put special files in special forlder, but I am not using it. The way I do it is too ask the device what is the default language and load the proper language file if I have it (or default to English). Actually, I am doing this on all platforms (PC/Mac/iOS/BB10...).

Here is the code for iOS

void CBridge::CheckLanguages()
    {
    NSUserDefaults *defaults = [NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults];
    NSArray *languages = [defaults objectForKey:mad:"AppleLanguages"];
    NSString *currentLanguage = [languages objectAtIndex:0];

CString res= NSStringToString(currentLanguage);
    CTextSystem::SetLanguage(res.Str());
    }

JC

3. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I didn't need to upload a new binary, though given how my game is a word game, that would probably be really helpful. I had extra languages translated for me: Spanish, Chinese, Japanese. After that it was a matter of cutting and pasting. I made sure to have my keywords translated too so I could paste them in the keyword fields.