Universal Dash or Defend PvP - Tower Offense vs Defense (by Wereviz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Etherbottle, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Etherbottle

Etherbottle Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    Thanks for posting feedback, guys/gals!
    We are starting to design the Friend Battles now. It's a bit trickier than one might expect, since we have to cover cases like when friends who are logged into different servers want to see that their friends are online and be able to battle them. No estimate on when it will launch yet, and there may be some other things we have to do before (like bug fixes and smaller features). It's something to look forward to though...

2. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    The competition is over and a champion has been crowned. Our thanks to all participants and congratulations to all winners.

It was fun to run a competition here at TouchArcade, and we might very well do it again. Stay tuned!

3. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    Local languages?

A question to those of you who live in areas where English is not the only spoken language:
    In your opinion, would there be a significant difference to the number of people interested in a game like this, if it was available in the local language?
    I myself am from Sweden, where almost everyone above a certain age understands English pretty well. I wouldn't expect a huge difference here (but I may be wrong).

4. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    New DoD competition in the works

Hi all!

It seems we'll be running another competition starting a few days from now.
    One of the (less serious) criteria will likely be TapDash scores, so you might want to brush off your skills in that mini-game as a preparation.
    I'll be back with more info soon.

Keep the Battle going!

5. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Blog writer and ad evaluator
    Georgia
    I shall respectfully bow out of this upcoming competition since I won the last. Out of curiosity though, will there be a way to play that little minigame without having to search? Because most of my searches only take about 15 seconds which is never enough time to really play it.

6. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    That is a good question. In order to answer it fully, I really should share the history behind how Tap-Dash came to be added to DoD. I'm a bit pressed for time right now and can't do that (hopefully at a later date), so I'll give a shorter answer instead for now:
    At this point there is no other way to play Tap-Dash than while you're waiting for a DoD opponent. Since the waiting time has been reduced after our global release, we are contemplating adding an option to play Tap-Dash offline from the main page in the app. When you play it through that option, the game would charge you a fee of Bottled Ether, and you would be able to win cards by achieving certain scores. We have seen that players who win many games store up more Ether than they can use, and this would give them a way of converting it into other assets. The current way of playing Tap-Dash while waiting for an opponent would remain (free and with Ether to be collected).
    This feature is only in the idea stage (feedback is welcome). No promises on when or exactly how it will turn out.
    Hope this answers your question?

7. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    Yep answers it and sounds pretty great. Makes it two... scratch that, three games in one! I have indeed seen myself sitting on 10,000 ether for quite a while now so it'll be a welcome change :). Thanks!

8. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    Was something changed recently in the game? I'm suddenly earning nothing from wins -- no chests, no rating. And people are using very different strategies. Mainly strategies I can't beat with my measly level 4s and their level 12+s... I mean.. if I can't earn anything anymore and I'm just playing and losing rating my incentive is kind of gone...

9. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    That seems very wrong. You should definitely get your card stacks for every win. We will investigate that asap. If you have lost out, we'll find some way to compensate you.

Regarding strategies that are evolving, it's possible that people are sharing and discussing in other forums as well. If so, that's encouraging for the community around the game, but my preference would be that it started here instead. (although the idea with a community is that it lives its own life, I guess...)

Anyway, we'll follow up on this. Let us know if you experience anything else that seems wrong or have some more data to share, either here or through an email to [email protected]

10. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    I really don't mind the losing but yeah, won three matches last night all within an hour before I posted, had two open chest slots, and earned nothing -- rating or chests. This morning though it's working again as I just won chests and rating. Maybe I hit some unexpected daily limit or something?

People finally figured out that all higher levels have to do is send a big wave and stop my towers and I'm out :p. People are definitely talking (ran into that exact strategy multiple times in a row last night to different people). So that is ultimately a good thing. People collectively talking, thinking, and working together is great!

11. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    Good to hear that it works correctly again.
    We have no daily limit, so something else must have gone wrong earlier. We have considered having a limit on how much ether you can win per day, but we haven't acted on that. We will never have a limit on the cards as they are already limited by the charging time. Also, our philosophy on the game's progression is that it will be driven by how many games you win, so each win should always forward your progression to some degree (this is why we want to find a use for any excess ether that players gather, like we talked about in the Tap-Dash discussion).
    Tomorrow, we will all be back in our office again and can devote time to take a better look at irregularities like this one you encountered.

12. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    We have verified that there is no unintentional daily limit. The most probable cause is a temporary disconnect between your device and the server, just as the syncing of your account data was supposed to happen. This is how it's supposed to work:
    - as soon as you see the victory banner, your rewards will already be in place in your account on our server.
    - when you dismiss the victory banner, your device will disconnect from the game server and reconnect to our lobby server. Your updated account data will be copied to your device and will be displayed.
    Our best theory is that something went wrong in the second step. If so, the reward was actually issued - it just didn't show up properly on the client at the moment. When the account data is synced next time, it should show up. It's still a bug, but hopefully not a serious one that steals your rewards permanently ;)
    We appreciate that you took the time to report this. Please continue to do so if/when unexpected things happen. With such help from the community, DoD will become even better over time. :)

13. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    Unfortunately, I never did get the rewards. Well, I can't definitively say I didn't get the rating but I know for a fact I didn't have my chests when I opened it the next morning. Perhaps to help a little bit, there is one additional detail -- When I won it did indeed say victory but showed no rewards, just the banner. Hopefully that'll help a bit to further identify the problem!

14. gon52

gon52 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Android Release?

Any plans for a Android build/release of this game?

15. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    Sure we have, do you think it looks interesting? :D
    We are working on an Android version in parallel, and are aiming for a release on Google Play during February. With a bit of luck it might even happen in January.
    Since this forum is aimed only at iOS, I guess we need to find a second home for conversation with players who only use Android. Any suggestions?
    (love TouchArcade though, so I'll be here too, no matter what)

16. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    Thanks, that does indeed help. It shows that we have to look in a different direction.

17. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    Happened one more time just now. Game ended at 5:57 (though could've be 5:56) EST so if you are able to check logs or anything, you might be able to find it. Don't remember the opponent but I again reached the victory screen and got no rating or chest showing up (or showing up in the lobby). I pressed it too fast and couldn't screenshot it but I shall next time. If there's anything else I can answer to help figure it out just lemme know! Oh, and it fixed itself after my next win. I'm going to try and recreate it though since there's little information to go on, I'll pretty much just be playing normally and seeing if I find any repetitions.

18. Etherbottle

Jun 12, 2017
    Sweden
    Thanks, we appreciate the voluntary testing work. It's like you're one of the team members. ;)

19. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    No problem! I frequently test games and apps so nothing new for me here, haha! Hardest part is recreating though... especially in a multiplayer game.

20. Hydrawolf

Hydrawolf Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgia
    Suggestion: Quit = victory

This is just a suggestion for a later date when you're not trying to bug smash and implementing new features like the friends and such.

I've noticed a rather annoying trend of people quitting within the first minute which makes us sit there for four minutes with nothing to do but upgrade towers. On offense it's really not much of an issue because you can simply spam some runners, but on defense it's a little boring. As there's currently no way to rejoin a match whether you disconnect or quit, I was wondering if it might not be a good idea to simply end the game on a quit/disconnect and award the victory then.

If, in the future, you decide to allow players to rejoin disconnected/quit matches, you could then change it so there's say a 1-2 minute timer until victory. It gives players a chance to rejoin then and, let's face it, if you quit for over a minute then chances are high you're going to lose whether you rejoin or not.