FREE -> paid app... Any experience?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Amygdala, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Amygdala

Amygdala Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Hi there, fellow devs!

I have this FREE app iWillSurvive. After about three days, it looks to be doing fairly well. Well, compared to my earlier attempts, it is doing EXTREMELY well!

Now, there are two ways to go, if I want to make a buck or two: paid or ads.

It seems like ads would be the obvious move, but loads of articles say, that you have to create a game that demands *looong* uptime to generate enough to outweigh the income for a paid app.

So, what happens if I make my free game suddenly tier 1...? Will it plummit to the bottom of all ranking lists, and be lost in obscurity? Any experiences?

- A

2. Depends on how much people like it. The success of free apps is only a partially useful metric to gauge how popular an app would be if it were paid, since you have to keep in mind that there are plenty of folks who will download just about anything that's free, but who would not necessarily buy it if it cost money, either because they can't (no credit/cards/money) or don't like it enough to pay. The number and tone of reviews you get may give you a better idea of how it is being received, and that's really the only metric you have to work with, absent any other way to garner opinions from your customers.