Anyone noticing a trend in fake reviews for the top apps?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Balloon Loons, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Well I guess it your turn to take over for the role of offensive. Not sure what entitled you to call my work crap...shit..or anything like that. First of all this discussion was not about anything other than the title. Obviously though a serious conversation can't be had. Between trolling from some and now insults from you. We really made progress. Great. That was my intention. Your opinion strictly yours. You think 2048 looks good but my game looks like crap. Ok. Yea you're obviously the expert. Funny because everyone I show 2048 says it looks dumb and my test audience for bl tap and flap said it's cute. They love lucky. Would love to see your work so I can also take a giant dump on it for no reason. But you also don't have any sigs.

Either way that would be childish to shit on you. I won't go there. I will say one thing though. I'm done with this discussion since it's obviously counter productive at this point. I would say a few more things to you but this is a family forum. Thanks.

2. DillweedLtd

DillweedLtd Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I actually quite enjoyed smash hit....

3. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Ok some real data about fake reviews, check out: "Don't Tap The White Tile" ratings section in App Annie: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/848160327/ratings/

Now look at the USA rating compared to say the UK ratings. These are two fairly similar countries in terms of app store games, often their charts are pretty similar, so you should expect them to have pretty close number of ratings when normalized for population.
    So UK population is 63 million, and USA population is 313 million, so you would expect the USA to have about 5 times the ratings as the UK. The UK has 28 ratings, so the USA should have 140 ratings. But as you can see the USA actually has 8266 ratings, I don't think this kind of difference can be put down anything other than fake ratings.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You need to compare the number of downloads to make a fair judgement because obviously different markets can do better. My apps for example always do better in Australia since I have live here and have a built in marketing network of friends to post about my releases.

That isn't to say there isn't a blackmarket for ratings because there clearly is.

5. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    It doesn't work that way, in my experience. The US app store gets way more action than the UK app store, beyond the population size. I think there's a cultural difference, perhaps.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    There is probably a difference in market share that apple has as well. You assume the market is the same in every country when that isn't even close to true.