Nasty Bugs - You like it clean? They don't!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by multimage, Apr 15, 2011.

1. multimage

multimage Well-Known Member

#1 multimage, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    Edit: It's out now! http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1741654

Well the app is now submitted to the store as of this morning. This is our very first attempt ever, so it may well get rejected. We still have a lot to learn about everything surrounding the Apple Store but it’s a first step. Also, we chose to put the game for free.

As for the game itself, this is a game about squishing the bugs as they pop out. For our first release, there is only one game mode: Time Attack. In this mode, you must squish a predetermined amount of bugs as fast as you can. There are two levels available with one needing 50 bugs squished and the other needing 75 bugs squished. By the way, it’s best played with two thumbs. This is how we achieved our high scores at the office :)

So our first game was mostly about testing the whole app development process. First getting an iMac, setting up xcode, getting developpers certificates, installing profiles on various devices, looking for a good library, and finally start coding. After a lot of hurdles, mostly from learning a new language at the same time as learning a graphics library, the game was finally in playable state. Now after QA and bug squishing (no pun intended), we had to learn the distribution process. This was mostly getting a distribution certificate and the right settings in xcode. So it’s finally submitted, and we can’t wait for Apple’s response.

Further tests that need to be done is adding Game Center support for the highscores and setting up some iAds, just to see the whole payout process from Apple. So enjoy the game while it’s ad free! Well, it’ll probably have ads on the main page only anyway. We'll keep you posted!

[​IMG]

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Nice art! Just please don't let this game be about squashing the bugs, those games are getting old. I'd like to see this be a lemmings-type game where you have to get all five guys to the end to rescue a mysterious sixth bug friend! imo ;)

3. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Well the bugs look nice as a first artwork. Should be quite interesting to see how the actual game looks like and what it's all about.

I just don't think they look like bugs at all. More like some squibbly aliens. Since they don't have the amount of feet or any other feature that I'd expect a real bug to have :)
    So you might wanna overthink the catchphrase/name of your game. Or redo the "bugs" ;)

A bug:
    http://www.clker.com/cliparts/7/c/0/6/1195438304820774480valessiobrito_Bug_Buddy_Vector.svg.hi.png

Cute aliens:
    http://api.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/11327949/2/istockphoto_11327949-cute-little-monsters-or-aliens.jpg

4. multimage

Hey doodlejumper!
    Good idea for the Lemming-type game. It's our first mobile game, so we keep it very simple.
    But you may have started something here, couple of our guys want to play Lemmings tonight...!

5. Zoopity

Zoopity Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I partly agree with Acumen, although think only Izee and Scotchee look more like cute aliens than bugs. Guess it also depends whether you mean bugs as in creepy crawlies (insects) or bugs as in germs?

Good artwork though :)

6. multimage

I agree too with Acumen. Our game title was supposed to be "Nasty Bugs from Outer Space" but was deemed too long by our marketing department (a.k.a our girlfriends).

7. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Well than of course it all makes sense ;)
    Girlfriends and their common sense - pfffsh.
    Work faster, more updates on the blog !

8. multimage

Hey there, we added some new screenshots for our upcoming game.
    Check it out!

9. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    So what is the game about :D
    I wanna know what these guys do on the pink skin and what the player is gonna do to them !
    I'm kinda guessing that these are on a human skin part, but the pink is really not my taste at all :eek:
    Looks more like a piece of candy or something along these lines.
    Post more information and put a little more on your blog to build up, if you wanna release at the end of may, still ;)

10. multimage

11. multimage

Sorry to double post. And sorry for the delay. We tried to concentrate on the game as much as possible even though it's difficult at times since there are other projects for clients and family stuff.

Anyway, this update is to tell that we submitted the app to Apple this morning! So I guess in a couple days we'll get an e-mail either accepting or rejecting the app. Let's hope it's the former!

PS: The first post has been updated with more info on the game.