Universal Super Hydorah (by Abylight Studios & Locamalito)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, May 16, 2018.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I have an iphone 7, but that would really come in very, very handy for me. Agree with this being a big plus. Too many shots and enemies are coming from the left.
    **cough** Ok ok, i don’t have those iphone X optimised eyes/desires, yet. **cough**
    Lol, i still wouldn‘t beat the game tho (i guess), but i would definitely go further.

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #42 Gwarmaxx, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

yeah, it's one of the criticisms that has been made to the Steam version, but i think as it is, it's perfect, i'm an old school gamer and hate games that can be completed in a couple of attempts (and in some cases also using lot of save points).

3. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Geez..! I'm glad it's not me being bad at this. Hahahaha
    The game is hard for sure, but I don't wanna step down to easy... T_T

I think I'll just keep a masochistic behavior for a while...

4. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks to dev, it has Easy Mode. I really enjoyed this game since my first try in 2010 )

5. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Well, I ceded to the abNormal difficulty this game offers and stepped down to easy which is, in fact, pretty easy (in the border between boring and enjoyable). This game definitely needs an intermediate difficulty as the advantages offered in Easy difficulty almost make the experience a little "meh", but the absence of these make "Normal" a little too hard since making a mistake like losing your shield puts you in a tight spot that demands too much from the player, in my opinion, making the experience a little frustrating.

On the other hand, Easy difficulty made me wish enemy bullets were faster or that shields didn't regenerate, anything to amp up the challenge a tiny little bit to feel better "about myself" (I'm not one to like playing games in "Easy" diff) and about the gaming experience.

Other than the lack of an intermediate difficulty, I can't say anything wrong about this game. It's pure retro-ish fun, packed with a cool soundtrack (loved the credits song), responsive controls (although I'd like stopping fire was performed with a button instead of a second touch input on the screen, as sometimes I found my ship shooting again in situations that I required not shooting at all) and nice visuals (enabled CRT filter immediately) through a set of 20+ levels that run players about 2 hours of gameplay... a long play time for this kind of game but there's nothing to fear about it since it's friendly for people who just want to dive in for a while and resume later.

I'll definitely keep trying "Normal" difficulty, but I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy it as much, since punishment is never fun... hahaha

Has anyone here finished this game in "Normal" difficulty? xD

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

What a freaking perfect game. Finished easy with a good score to get to #4 on the leaderboard. Been working through normal mode. I’ll probably go back to easy and try to improve my score on that one eventually. It’s tough but so rewarding. Love the little secrets sprinkled in too. Perfect (default) controls on iPhone 7+. Definitely don’t let the relatively high price scare you. I’m hoping they extend the campaign further simply because I want more of this amazing game. I’d gladly pay for an expansion, but more than happy with what’s here. Shooter of the year! :cool:

7. Simoqsa

Simoqsa Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I didn't like the controls on touch screen. Also, it's hard to understand what's going on on the screen. Tutorial is not enough. I'll try it on Steam.

sebgo likes this.
  8. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#48 sebgo, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    1. There are 2 control schemes and at least one of them has sensititivity adjustment.

2. Enemies are shooting at your ship.

3. Evade enemy bullets and grab powerups (green enhance your main shot, red enhance your secondary weapon, purple gives you a shield in case you don't have one and yellow enables your special attack [you can stack up to 3]).

4. Let us know how you find it on Steam. I'd like to try it on that platform, too, but I already have the mobile version which is ok for me and I can't afford spending money like that.

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  9. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

2. LOL

and

3.LOL

seriously??? a shmup needs tutorials??? :D:D:D

anyway, this game is FANTASTIC!!!!!!

yankeeblue000 and sebgo like this.
  10. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I was thinking he posted on the wrong thread. Also yes, it is a pretty great shmup. And maybe this one deserved a tutorial, just not as detailed as the one I provided, since I admit to not having any idea at first about the upgrade mechanics (I was too busy figuring out what was going on on the screen to notice the green and red bars at the bottom left), but I think it's just natural since it was something new... after a few minutes I knew all I needed to try and try again on abNormal difficulty

PS: I couldn't help it! I had to reply like that because I needed someone to read and laugh at it, too! xD

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  11. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    iCade support?

12. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Although I'm not fully aware of the iCade ecosystem, I think it isn't supported. Ever since iOS9, many iCade controllers stopped working and Super Hydorah minimum required OS is iOS11, so the chances are pretty slim in my opinion. Also, I think the game description doesn't mention iCade at all.

13. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Is there any horizontal shmups like this on android?

14. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

R-Type 1 and 2 are the only ones I can think of. Sine Mora is also there.

15. Simoqsa

Simoqsa Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I'm not arguing with anyone on internet, mentioning "enemies are shooting at your ship" style answers are not funny imo. I didn't like the feel of the game, that's it.

Gwarmaxx and sebgo like this.
  16. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

It wasn't meant to be funny, let alone make fun of you. I started laughing about it after I had already typed it but I didn't feel like deleting the answer since it was accurate anyway.

1. Did you check/experiment with alternative controls?

2. That's what's going on on the screen and you said it was hard to understand it, so the answer wasn't completely off.

3. Since the game lacks a tutorial, I added a brief explanation about game mechanics.

4. Did you get it on Steam. Did you like it any better?

17. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    nobody laughed at you Simoqsa, just made me laugh those bizarre answers :D

sebgo likes this.
  18. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
  19. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Get the best discount for Super Hydorah. Just $ 1.99 ;)

[​IMG]

20. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Super Hydorah - Gameplay Trailer