Universal PewPew (by Jean-Francois Geyelin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by f e a r l e s s, Jun 1, 2009.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    [Off-topic] Too bad I have not a Wii nor XBLive @home and I was trying the GW:G on DS which is a bit "cramped" to my taste, even though the idea of shaped game map is definitely a very nice idea....

2. orac

orac Member

May 5, 2009
    re: 1. Nope!!

can you expand on this - what is the closest game to GW on the app store please..

Don't agree with 2. - I never got into GW until I played it on DS and I think the controls on it were brilliant.

3. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #43 currymutton, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
    1. I don't have all the "GW"-sic games here, so I cannot say which one is the closest and each game, as far as I know, has some deviations from GW (and GW:G if it is your concern) in terms of control, graphics and game play.

Actually I don't care! As long as the game is fun and well-made, Light Wars, Isotope, Dropship, PP, whatever, I will get it and spend time on it.

Note! I am not saying PP is no good.

2. To repeat myself once again, The problem with GW:G on DS is the screen size, the "tightness" of the game field and I serious think this one works best on bigger screen, a more powerful platform, and (to far less extent) the stiff controls on DS makes my thumb aches. (Use a pen instead? You must be kidding :) )

(Edit) If someone "bribes" me a Wii along with a copy of GW:G, I may be sold...

I hope this would close this off-topic discussion. Feel free to disagree but it is my opinion.

4. orac

orac Member

May 5, 2009
    off topic?

I am asking if pewpew is the closest game (so far) on the apps store to be the most like geometry wars - if it is, good - if not then I would like to try others, so am asking for other title names. I found isotope too different.

5. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Sorry it was me -- off topic about GW:G. ;)

Not too close to GW, I think Light Wars may suit your taste better. Read about it in other thread please.

6. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    The playback function is really cool, but disorienting. After watching it for a while it's either "oh I'm dizzy" or "oh I'm gonna get sick". Maybe put in an option for it to spin or not?

7. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    yes, light wars or many nanofighter i would say.

8. Jyaif

Jyaif Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Male
    Independent game dev
    Paris, France
    #48 Jyaif, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
    There is this option in the updated version that is waiting for Apple's approval ;)

There: http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/45142

It's a good idea, and perhaps I will later do a non-free version, but for now I will keep working on this version (= add modes/leader board). I'll keep "PewPewPew" in mind for the sequel :D

Concerning the sound effects, I'll see if adding them does not slow down the game too much :)

9. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Just read in Jyaif's blog that he has resubmitted PewPew last Friday (june 19th), so guessing on the current approval time it'll be sometime next week (hopefully) that we can play the new mode :)

BTW: Love the song he dedicated to the Apple-approval guys :D

10. brttrx

brttrx Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Chromatic Conflict mode is FANTASTIC!!

11. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Amen to that. Very unique, this is slowly becoming my favorite Geometry Wars 2 styled game.

12. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    This update is amazing!!! "Dodge this" is sick! You can see how well the controls are done for this game! My first try I got a score of 4200.

13. Jyaif

Jyaif Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Male
    Independent game dev
    Paris, France
  14. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    merci for your wonderful game: ) I love to play polished games that have such a personal touch to them.

A lotus to you: )

15. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    filled out the survey, i hope you find the comments useful :)

16. Jyaif

Jyaif Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Male
    Independent game dev
    Paris, France
    Thanks a lot, your answers are very very interesting. Many of your ideas will be included in PewPew (but not necessarily in the next update).
    Also, I see that a lot of people like "Chromatic Conflict"; you guys like shooting more than dodging ;)

To answer one of the question I got in the survey: yes there is a way to add a glowing effect to the lines, in fact I did just that very recently (I talked about it on my blog)
    It looks pretty cool:
    [​IMG]
    However it is only possible on the iphone 3GS, because it requires programming shaders. When I'll have an iPhone 3GS (or more likely an iPod touch 3G), I'll work on it.

17. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    now that looks awesome, glowing effects FTW

18. Flashbang99

Flashbang99 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    i have got to check this out, looks great :)

19. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    yeah, really great! you bet...

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Extra game mode and (still?) gorram free! What else would I ask for? :D

Thanks for the update.